• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

This extra special session was also championed by Lt Governor Dan Forest, who is the son of who I presume to have been your long-time US Rep, Sue Myrick.

Got to meet Dan Forest a few times because of the work I was doing and he was in the building every now and then. Super nice guy, even if I strongly disagree with his politics. His staff looks like they came straight from an NC State tailgate, though.

What the fuck is wrong with North Carolina?

Gerrymandered districts contribute, absolutely, but need to acknowledge and own the fact there are a whole lot of NC citizens who "disagree" with LGBT lifestyle and are absolutely fine discriminating against them. Take a look at any comment section on WRAL, N&O, etc.

Living in Raleigh, it's very weird because this is a (relatively) liberal town and if put to a vote of Raleigh citizens, anti-anti-discrimination legislation like this would be received much more skeptically, and hopefully ultimately rejected. But then the legislature arrives from their districts in bumfuck wherever and quickly enacts laws like these with no debate, which we have to witness happen from down the street, and it's kind of like, what the fuck just happened and who are these bigoted idiots?

Sigh. The NC General Assembly, creating criminals out of transgender people who just want to pee because ELECTED OFFICIALS in Charlotte enacted an ordinance.

Got to meet Dan Forest a few times because of the work I was doing and he was in the building every now and then. Super nice guy, even if I strongly disagree with his politics. His staff looks like they came straight from an NC State tailgate, though.

Thank fucking Christ the Lt Governor has proven not to be an actual stepping stone to the Governor's office, because Dan Forest seems more conservative than Ted Cruz. Wish someone more formidable was running against him this fall.

Or just have toilets on the front lawn. That's always a great protest.
33c0efce8bc4b5c6d08cd814cd82d1f0.jpg

Thank fucking Christ the Lt Governor has proven not to be an actual stepping stone to the Governor's office, because Dan Forest seems more conservative than Ted Cruz. Wish someone more formidable was running against him this fall.

Agreed. I was really disappointed with the Dem options for Lt. Gov. on the primary ballot. I know that Coleman came really close against Forest in 2012, but I still don't think that she can beat him in 16.

This extra special session was also championed by Lt Governor Dan Forest, who is the son of who I presume to have been your long-time US Rep, Sue Myrick.

Yeah, and my current US Congressman is pro-business Robert Pittenger, who I think would be fine living and governing in NC like it used to be. But he's actually being primaried from the right by some dimwit supported by Robin Hayes and Sue Myrick. Why ? Not because he's a crooked politician with obvious conflicts of interest dating back for decades, but because he's not an insane enough right wing nutjob.

I'd like to think Roy Cooper wins in 2016 and 2020. Josh Stein, who I think will be a great Attorney General, wins in 2024. Dan Forest gets to go be lobbyist or Southern Baptist youth minister or whatever he wants to be that doesn't involve him being governor.

Will be interesting to see whether McCrory will sign the bill in its current form. Won't ultimately matter of course.

I do think this is a case in which the legislature met out of normal session, when folks aren't paying much attention, and quickly passed a poorly conceived bill that is even more extreme than the religious freedom bill from last year. When folks figure out what just happened, I think this is going to be a big, big deal.

So is each bathroom going to have a P or V checker to confirm?

The whole thing is absurd. What's the result if you go into the wrong bathroom? I mean they aren't criminalizing this behavior are they?

The whole thing is absurd. What's the result if you go into the wrong bathroom? I mean they aren't criminalizing this behavior are they?

Wouldn't it make you subject to indecent exposure charges that could get you labeled a sex offender?

Wouldn't it make you subject to indecent exposure charges that could get you labeled a sex offender?

I have no idea. I read this a few times and can't figure out what it means without checking out some case law:

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_14/gs_14-190.9.html

I would guess the answer to your question in the case of a male using a female restroom is no, since it requires exposing your private parts to another (but I can't tell if that's an element of the prima facie case or not from the statute which is, even by legal standards, somewhat tortured and drawn out - at least in my opinion).

And if the result of this unconstitutional legislation is to be labeled as a sex offender, that probably just expedites the downfall of it through the judicial system.

Last edited:
Bill passes the Senate too and goes to Pat's desk to sign or veto. Republicans didn't open the floor to Democrats so every present Senate Democrats walked out and refused to vote. The bill passed the Senate 32-0 and every present GOP member voted in favor. Just comical and beyond disgusting. Fuck the NC GOP.

This kind of goes without saying but a biological female using a men's bathroom and a biological male using a women's bathroom both use stalls.

If someone hangs dong or drops trough while washing they're hands, there are already laws for that, right?

Entering the wrong bathroom is trespassing under current NC law. Reminds me of the time I accidentally used the ladies room at the old Charlotte Coliseum. It was empty when I went in to drop a deuce. Had lots of stalls. When I came out of the stall, a couple of ladies were surprised, but no sexual shenanigans occurred.

Back