• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

It makes me sad to accept that this will probably help McCrory. I've lost a lot of confidence in my state since we amended our constitution to discriminate.

Yeah it's tough to tell. Only 25% of voters in the most recent PPP poll thought the GA should override Charlotte's law and the law that the GA ultimately went with went well beyond merely overriding the Charlotte law.

Republicans even opposed the GA overriding it at a 45 to 38 clip.

I'm working for a initiative at Carolina right now that helps local governments apply public policy (i.e., mainly helping smaller cities and counties figure out how to apply policy since they don't have the staff to do it on their own). We're attached to a larger body that basically consults all of the county and city governments in the state on pretty much everything imaginable. We are in a full on meltdown/all hands on deck mode right now because of this. The statute isn't even 12 hours old and it is already a fucking disaster on the administrative end. Thanks a lot, Pat.

I think I mentioned this awhile back but it's worth repeating. It's highly likely each of those lawmakers has been in a bathroom with a trans man several times. I'm not sure why they would prefer to be in the bathroom with someone who appears to be a woman.

McCrory asked for the fucking special session. Quite possibly because he didn't want people to find out that he would rather use the women's restroom.

FTR, McCrory was for the bill but against the special session.

I'm working for a initiative at Carolina right now that helps local governments apply public policy (i.e., mainly helping smaller cities and counties figure out how to apply policy since they don't have the staff to do it on their own). We're attached to a larger body that basically consults all of the county and city governments in the state on pretty much everything imaginable. We are in a full on meltdown/all hands on deck mode right now because of this. The statute isn't even 12 hours old and it is already a fucking disaster on the administrative end. Thanks a lot, Pat.

You guys hiring? I have a few suggestions.

NCACC? NCLM?

It would have been more odd if they had pissed themselves in the bathroom line.

Just convert all bathrooms to all stalls and make them unisex.

You seriously want to end the urinal? The urinal is one of the great institutions of modern plumbing (behind only the trough). They take up a hell of a lot less space than a stall. So if I'm at a Panthers game and need to hit the head, instead of standing in line to wait for 25 urinals plus 8 stalls, I should wait in line for one of 18 stalls? How does that make sense?
And if you made them all unisex with stalls, would you want to be one of the 20% of women there going into the stall to sit down after the 80% of drunk dudes have pissed all over the place? Or be sitting in the stall next to the dude as he assblasts out his chili dog?
It's not that difficult - if you have a dong use the men's room, if you don't then use the women's room. Why is that such a polarizing concept?

Now that 2&2 has chimed in with his views on trans issues, I'm considerably more informed and qualified to make a decision. Thanks for your input 2&2, I've been persuaded to join your side.

What do you think about the bill passed and signed yesterday by the GA?

You seriously want to end the urinal? The urinal is one of the great institutions of modern plumbing (behind only the trough). They take up a hell of a lot less space than a stall. So if I'm at a Panthers game and need to hit the head, instead of standing in line to wait for 25 urinals plus 8 stalls, I should wait in line for one of 18 stalls? How does that make sense?
And if you made them all unisex with stalls, would you want to be one of the 20% of women there going into the stall to sit down after the 80% of drunk dudes have pissed all over the place? Or be sitting in the stall next to the dude as he assblasts out his chili dog?
It's not that difficult - if you have a dong use the men's room, if you don't then use the women's room. Why is that such a polarizing concept?

I'm probably not the first person to suggest that maybe you shouldn't drink so much at Panthers games.

Now that 2&2 has chimed in with his views on trans issues, I'm considerably more informed and qualified to make a decision. Thanks for your input 2&2, I've been persuaded to join your side.

Roy Cooper should do his job.

I thought the issue was about sexual predators using the wrong bathroom to prey on women and children.

I think the bill itself is pretty stupid, as local governments should be able to do what they want for the most part.

ETA: but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on who should use which bathroom.

Last edited:
Roy Cooper should do his job.

No chance in hell. He won't do any aspects of his actual job that conflict with his political campaign. I actually hope that McCrory signed it solely because he knew that Cooper should have to (but he won't because he is a little bitch) defend it over the next few months.

NCACC? NCLM?

I personally don't work with the NCACC or the NCLM, but there are some folks here who do. The vibe I'm getting from the attorneys right now is that nobody really knows yet just how big the scope of this is. Because it preempts a ton of stuff, a lot of places are going through their ordinances and trying to figure out what is in violation of the statute and what is not. From what I gather so far, the bathroom thing isn't really a huge administrative issue because it really only affects Charlotte. The inequity part of the statute aside, what's going to be a big problem going forward, and what is already proving to be a huge problem, deals with the requirements that can be placed on government projects, since the new law basically forbids cities and counties from requiring contractors to pay workers anything above the state minimum wage.

I think the bill itself is pretty stupid, as local governments should be able to do what they want for the most part.

I think this is the point Cooper should hammer home. This will be an interesting election for folks in the middle, and I think this issue will be a wedge in a big way.

No chance in hell. He won't do any aspects of his actual job that conflict with his political campaign. I actually hope that McCrory signed it solely because he knew that Cooper should have to (but he won't because he is a little bitch) defend it over the next few months.

Well that seems fiscally responsible.

NC is a Dillon's Rule state gone off the rails.

I think this is the point Cooper should hammer home. This will be an interesting election for folks in the middle, and I think this issue will be a wedge in a big way.

Yeah but Cooper doesn't want local governments to do what they want either; he wants to be able to tell them what to do from the other side. Of course, he'll lie through his teeth and use it to try to get elected.

The interesting thing will be, if he dupes the population into voting for him, how soon after taking office does he eschew his governor duties to begin his campaign for Senator or President? One day? Two days? The over/under has to be set at one week.

Back