• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

I think you'll see the highest black voter turnout ever because of McCrory.

RJ, do you really believe that black voters will turn out to vote for Hillary Clinton in the same numbers that they turned out for Barack Obama?

And I would pose the same question for under-30 non-black voters.....particularly those who supported Bernie Sanders?

And on the flip side of that, how motivated do you think that white Trump supporters are going to be to go to the polls? (You already saw what happened in the GOP primaries, where turnout was up 60%.)

RJ this is the single dumbest thing you have ever argued on these boards.

That's ridiculous. He has spent two years railing against the voter ID law. The reports are there are about 3-5% more black voters registered in NC than 2012.

http://www.elon.edu/docs/e-web/org/nccc/NCVoterTurnout2012PR.pdf

As you can see, 1.7% fewer blacks turned out in 2012 than 2008. Although more actual black voters voted. The same thing could happen this year and there would still be more black voters than in 2012.

In 2012, there wasn't law that tried to take away black voting opportunities. There were police shootings of black men.

Would Obama outdraw Hillary this year? Absolutely. But because of the added voters and dramatic issues, it's reasonable to think she could get more raw votes.

I would be floored if that happened, but what do I know, I just live here.

That's ridiculous. He has spent two years railing against the voter ID law. The reports are there are about 3-5% more black voters registered in NC than 2012.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...rump_vs_clinton_vs_johnson_vs_stein-5974.html

The Republican Party has gained hundreds of thousands of new voters in the key battleground states of Florida, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania, according to CNN.
Democrats still outnumber Republicans in those states, but the GOP has improved its standings, according to the CNN report.

In Florida since November 2012, 300,000 more Republicans were added to the voter rolls than Democrats, reports CNN. Democrats had 557,544 more registered voters than Republicans in 2012, now they are 259,000 ahead.

Since 2012, Democrats lost 195,000 white voters, while Republicans gained around 149,000, the report said. Democrats in Florida saw an increase in Hispanic registration, with 92,000 Hispanic voters added. Two-thirds of those joined up between February and August of 2016. University of Florida political science professor Daniel Smith told CNN Democrats had nothing to worry about and that "their registration has been healthy, and their demographics are more representative of the state electorate. On the Republican side, it's disproportionately white."

In North Carolina, Republicans gained twice as many voters as Democrats since 2012. CNN notes that in 2012, Republican Mitt Romney won the presidential vote there by 79,000 votes. Many North Carolina Democrats vote for both parties, according to Republican strategist Carter Wrenn, who says "about 15 percent of Democrats, mostly older Democrats, usually vote for the Republican nominee for president."

In Pennsylvania, Republicans gained 83,000 more voters than Democrats. Democrats still have more registered voters than Republicans there, but their lead is the smallest it's been since 2007, CNN reports. Trump's Pennsylvania chairman, Rep. Tom Marino, said at least 80,000 Democrats have switched their party registration to Republican this year.

In some western states, the news appears to be better for Democrats. Democrats gained 45,000 voters in Colorado and 19,000 voters in Arizona in the past year, the CNN report said.

In a Mercury News opinion column, Tom Steyer wrote that Republican candidate Donald Trump is helping Democrats in California. Steyer calls Trump the Democrats' "unwitting ally." "His hate-filled presidential campaign has awakened Californians to the hazards of apathy in the polls. Record numbers of Californians are answering the call and registering," wrote Steyer.

(Looks like Hillary is going to win big in California, though. :) )

Pat McCrory, when asked during Gubernatorial debate which bathroom Caitlyn Jenner would use: "If she runs around the track at UNC-Chapel Hill, she's going to use the men's shower."

Pat McCrory, when asked during Gubernatorial debate which bathroom Caitlyn Jenner would use: "If she runs around the track at UNC-Chapel Hill, she's going to use the men's shower."

I watched the debate, no clear winner IMO, but McCrory has clearly picked his hill to die on.

I watched the debate, no clear winner IMO, but McCrory has clearly picked his hill to die on.

Neither of them seemed very comfortable, which I get -- these guys don't participate in televised political debates very often. Demeanors were very different. McCrory extremely defensive throughout, not surprising (the dude can't take criticism at all). Cooper way more laid back, always looked directly into the camera.

By far though the quote of the night was the aforementioned McCrory quote, "she's going to use the men's shower." :wtf:

The weird set-up with the bright spot lighting on the podiums and the moderator, with super dark/black backgrounds totally made the entire thing look like an SNL sketch.

mcccoop.jpg

The weird set-up with the bright spot lighting on the podiums and the moderator, with super dark/black backgrounds totally made the entire thing look like an SNL sketch.
It looked like very low budget public access television, with the most unflattering lighting possible.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Back