• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

On the one hand, the General Assembly is giving you the permission to drink before Noon.

On the other hand, they are giving you the reason.

my dad always said that when the light turns green, hit the gas pedal!!!

expect potentially multiple special sessions in the fall. judicial redistricting a possibility, as are other changes to elections/voting

Republicans are just despicable people. Selfish, vindictive, and thirsty for power with no regard for the well being of the state. And before you chide me for lumping all Republicans in the same basket, where are the Republicans decrying these actions and standing up for decency and respect? I cannot find them in the North Carolina General Assembly, and I've only found a select few examples from the general public. If you exist, now is the time to speak loudly and forcefully against these unrestrained actions.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/editorials/article158796849.html

Well said. It's time to blame Republicans in general for these state and federal fiascos.

I have recently been informed that my ability to run in the 2017 Cleveland County School Board election is in jeopardy due solely to my status as “unaffiliated” to a specific political party. Senate Bill #253, ratified into law by the North Carolina General Assembly on June 29, 2017, has removed my ability even to run for this office again in the 2017 election and let the good people of Cleveland County decide for themselves who they wish to represent them. The Cleveland County School Board election, along with only eight other counties in North Carolina, have now been specifically targeted and changed from nonpartisan to partisan elections. Therefore, all those wishing to run for the school boards in these nine counties will be forced to declare a party affiliation (Democrat, Republican, or Libertarian) 90 days prior to the election or submit a petition containing at least four percent of the registered voters in the county by a specific date. To make matters even more difficult for Cleveland County citizens, this legislation goes into effect only for Cleveland County for the 2017 election. That means that, even though the legislation was ratified into law on June 29, 2017, the petition with four percent of all Cleveland County voters would have had to be filed by the very next day, June 30, 2017. And, it was not ratified into law until after the date to declare a party affiliation before the 2017 election. This new law will not go into effect for all of the other eight counties until the 2018 election, which at least gives candidates in those counties a full year to either gather the required signatures or declare a party.

Petty snowflakes

https://docs.google.com/document/u/...h6IgCwDnUuarT_VpI/mobilebasic?invite=CNPEp-wO

That area could really use the jobs.

Important article about how population is declining in northeastern NC. Kids are moving away. Old people are dying. Probably should turn the whole place into a hunting preserve or a windfarm.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article159740514.html

Of the state’s 553 municipalities, 225 – or about 41 percent – saw population decline in 2010-16. Another 192 towns and cities saw growth lower than 6.4 percent over that time.

Three of every four North Carolina municipalities have lost population or grown slower than the state since 2010. And the northeastern part of the state has been hit hardest.

The top 10 towns with the greatest decline in 2010-16 are in Bertie, Northampton and Washington counties.

Jacksonville has seen the greatest decline in the number of people, dropping from 70,145 in 2010 to 67,784 in 2016 – a growth rate of -3.4 percent and a loss of more than 2,300 people, according to the U.S. Census.

Jacksonville is followed by Rocky Mount, Kinston, Elizabeth City, Roanoke Rapids, Havelock, Laurinburg, Reidsville, Rockingham and Tarboro.

Lewiston Woodville in Bertie County has seen the greatest decline in population percentage, going from 549 in 2010 to 494 in 2016 – a 10 percent drop – followed by Conway, Garysburg, Woodland, Gaston, Aulander, Seaboard, Roper, Askewville and Kelford, according to the U.S. Census.

My wife has an aunt and uncle in Jackson, which is a suburb or Roanoke Rapids and Conway. Two of their kids moved to Raleigh while the other became a baby making machine in Roanoke Rapids.

I read a story a few months ago about how some of these small towns in eastern NC no longer have a brick and mortar bank branch and the old people are freaked out.

Pretty sure all that's needed to invigorate those dying places is to cut taxes on the wealthy even more. And end free trade. And build a wall along Mexico border. That should do it.

Pretty sure all that's needed to invigorate those dying places is to cut taxes on the wealthy even more. And end free trade. And build a wall along Mexico border. That should do it.

The only answer is a huge corporate welfare giveaway as a means to attract jobs to the most poorly educated areas of the state (and nation for that matter).

Important article about how population is declining in northeastern NC. Kids are moving away. Old people are dying. Probably should turn the whole place into a hunting preserve or a windfarm.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article159740514.html

My wife has an aunt and uncle in Jackson, which is a suburb or Roanoke Rapids and Conway. Two of their kids moved to Raleigh while the other became a baby making machine in Roanoke Rapids.

I read a story a few months ago about how some of these small towns in eastern NC no longer have a brick and mortar bank branch and the old people are freaked out.

This will surely be blamed on Republicans. Just watch.

As to your broader point, look what happens to a place when Ph leaves. You can't siphon all of that victory out of an area in one stroke and expect it not to collapse. The Jorts Belt of Florida is next.

150 jobs during construction but only 10 long term. Still, it's better than zero.

Not only the jobs, the property taxes. According to an article I read this morning, the proposed wind farm would increase the property tax receipts of one county by 8.5%. That's astounding, for one deal to have that kind of impact. Could do a lot of good for the people down there.

That is astounding considering the wind turbines are personal property. Buncha low real property values up there.

Back