• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

Sheesh.

Dylan Frick How many drug offenders and criminals have you bailed out of jail?
Like · Reply · 4 · 15 hrs
Manage
Hide 52 Replies
Justin Burr
Justin Burr At least one - your father. I don't think we ever bailed you out though, I believe your arrests and/or charges were all in Guilford County, correct? Are you still doing drugs?
Like · Reply · 32 · 15 hrs
Manage
Dylan Frick
Dylan Frick Justin my father answered to God for his sins many years ago, and asked for forgiveness. Don't change the subject. If you want to disrespect my family, send me your address and we'll handle it like men. You represent all that is wrong with our criminal justice system, and you need to resign. We deserve a better representative.
Like · Reply · 6 · 15 hrs
Manage
Justin Burr
Justin Burr A bail bondsman is responsible for getting the defendant to court for their trial so that justice can be served. Bail bondsmen do this at no cost to the taxpayers. You should know that from your own participation in the criminal justice system.
Like · Reply · 16 · 15 hrs
Manage
Justin Burr
Justin Burr Oh so it's ok for your family to use a bail bondsman but not ok for others individuals to use them.
Like · Reply · 7 · 15 hrs
Manage
Dylan Frick
Dylan Frick Justin, you are literally advocating for gas chambers and the electric chair. It's 2017. That's the problem here.
Like · Reply · 2 · 15 hrs

meanwhile everyone else:

giphy.gif

https://goqnotes.com/52847/charlott...s-to-know-shes-white-and-opposes-lgbtq-right/

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Charlotte mayoral candidate has an eyebrow raising message for voters. Republican candidate Kimberley Paige Barnette’s Facebook page says, “Vote for me!” and advertises her as, “REPUBLICAN & SMART, WHITE, TRADITIONAL.”

Barnette also wants voters to know she is not in favor of LGBTQ protections against discrimination.

“I would not support the local Ordinance LGBT,” Barnette wrote in a status from July. “I was a magistrate in Mecklenburg County (Charlotte, NC) for over 18 years. I issued a warrant on a male for secret peeping in the local shopping mall years ago in the restroom.”

The Republican candidate, who is running against city council member Kenny Smith and businessman Gary Dunn in the primary, also drew criticism online for her statement during a debate that she doesn’t think the city should “encourage more lower-income people to (come to) Charlotte.”

“We should attract higher-income people,” she said.

To be fair, the ones for it were hilarious and sad.

I haven’t read much into it, but what are experts saying about the Wisconsin gerrymandering case headed to the SC? Any chance political gerrymanders die?

I haven’t read much into it, but what are experts saying about the Wisconsin gerrymandering case headed to the SC? Any chance political gerrymanders die?

With a conservative majority on the court and well over half the state legislatures in Pub hands 2.5 years before the next census? I'll take the under on that one.

With a conservative majority on the court and well over half the state legislatures in Pub hands 2.5 years before the next census? I'll take the under on that one.
But hey Bernie is pushing a Medicare for all bill that will never pass. Yay for ideological purity!

But hey Bernie is pushing a Medicare for all bill that will never pass. Yay for ideological purity!

And your hero Clinton is busy on a book tour blaming everybody but herself for losing the election.

FOH. I'm glad that the 2020 bench is moving the dial left. It's about time that the Democratic Party started speaking for the people.

And your hero Clinton is busy on a book tour blaming everybody but herself for losing the election.

FOH. I'm glad that the 2020 bench is moving the dial left. It's about time that the Democratic Party started speaking for the people.
We will see how successful that is in actually getting anything passed in a gerrymandered congress with a conservative sc. There is always 2040. The best way to move things left is not by electing right wingers.

Last edited:
The most important thing the Dems can do is run someone who is young. They haven't elected anyone for the first time, who is over 60 in about a century.

The most important thing the Dems can do is run someone who is young. They haven't elected anyone for the first time, who is over 60 in about a century.

hell, why are we still looking at politicians to run against trump? fuck, he has a joke resume and still won. if gop want to run actors why can't the dems?

99.2% of all public comments on redistricting were against the GOP's methodology

That 99.2% of pubic comments were not representative of the state. If only they had more time, the majority of comments would have been in favor of GOP gerrymandering. I just know it.

But N.C. Sen. Ralph Hise, a Republican from Mitchell County who leads the Senate’s redistricting committee, said the input of fewer than 5,000 people in a state of 10 million is hardly representative of what people think. He also blamed the judges who ordered the lines to be redrawn, saying they should’ve given North Carolina more time.

“As you know, we were on a compressed deadline that was set by the court,” Hise said. “I regret the court-ordered timeline forced an abbreviated process that yielded only 4,300 comments out of roughly 10 million North Carolinians. While we appreciate those who took time to respond, most statisticians would probably not view that small sampling as a representation of public opinion for all of North Carolina.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/po...ns-blogs/under-the-dome/article171737932.html

At 4,300 responses it's not about the number but more about the method of response and means of solicitation for response. Obviously people who commented felt strongly about it and that's why they self-selected to report. But just looking at it as "4300 out of 10 million would probably not" be viewed as a representation is not really the issue from my (somewhat limited) understanding of statistics.

It's not as if notice and comment periods use stratified random sampling or anything.

Canceling elections shouldn't happen in a democracy.

The legislature announced the primaries would not be happening due to “scheduling circumstances.”

Back