• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

LAURA BURNS, Winston-Salem

Important programs

The state legislature cut $1.6 million from the final state budget to help legal aid groups that defend poor people — people who are discriminated against but don’t have the means to fight back against the fat cats. Nobody would say why until House Speaker Tim Moore was finally pinned down and essentially said he didn’t like the way the legal aids were using the money. He thought they were “too aggressive.”

Why not talk to them about it, then? Why cut the money and allow poor people to be ripped off?

State legislators also cut $10 million from Attorney General Josh Stein’s budget. This literally means that fewer criminals will be prosecuted and we will be less safe.

Senate President Pro Tem Phil Berger gave essentially the same reason: They didn’t like how Stein was doing his job.

These legislators are going too far. They’re too petty and too controlling. The state budget should not be a political bludgeon to attack one’s political opponents.

Like them or not, none of this nonsense was going on when Democrats were in charge. They knew that important programs had to be adequately funded and our state was better for it.

The Republicans like to portray themselves as “the adults in the room,” but that’s not the way they act.

I'm pretty upset about a lot of this as well. Josh Stein is a good guy. I shared a rental house with him in Raleigh during the Summer of 1995 while we studied for the bar. While I may not completely agree with him politically, I was proud to cast my vote for him last year because I know that he is an honorable and trustworthy person of good character.

In my law practice, I work with a lot of attorneys from the NC DOJ. They are likewise good people who work very hard and do a good job for the people of North Carolina. Several good friends are losing their jobs because of these budget cuts, while those still lucky enough to keep their job will be overextended even further. They are collateral damage in a political fight, and it sucks.

The job cuts at DOJ have happened/are happening - that was not just Stein crying wolf. Those offices were already understaffed, so it is a real problem.

Snowflakes in the legislature that gerrymander themselves into noncompetitive districts need to accept the results of the election.

The job cuts at DOJ have happened/are happening - that was not just Stein crying wolf. Those offices were already understaffed, so it is a real problem.

To be fair, Roy Cooper spent at least $10 mil of his budget as AG on his own political campaign and promoting his personal causes. So that $10 mil isn't really needed any more.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article168766842.html

Rep. Robert Pittenger, a Republican congressman from North Carolina, said Tuesday President Donald Trump is getting unfairly blasted for his comments about the deadly Charlottesville rally, arguing that liberals haven’t condemned Black Lives Matter and other groups for their “hate and violence.”

“It’s a bit disingenuous to me that so much pressure and criticism has been put on President Trump for what he didn’t say, and yet when these things happen on the other side, silence,” Pittenger, considered one of the nation’s most vulnerable incumbents, said in an interview on a Fayetteville radio station.

“You look at the actions of Black Lives Matter and people like Al Sharpton who have not condemned it – we never heard President Obama condemn the violence of Black Lives Matter,” Pittenger said on WFNC radio’s “Good Morning Fayetteville.”

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article168766842.html#storylink=cpy

Biff's boy Pittinger. The NCGOP really is just fantastic.

Oh I accept the results perfectly fine, the results were clear before the election took place (thanks, "look at meeeeeee" Charlotte City Council). But the results don't make Cooper any less of a clown than he was before he was Governor, or excuse any of his shameless self-promotion on the taxpayer's dime.

To be fair, Roy Cooper spent at least $10 mil of his budget as AG on his own political campaign and promoting his personal causes. So that $10 mil isn't really needed any more.

I'm no fan of Cooper (obviously I voted for him, with the same feeling I voted for Hillary), but this is complete bullshit.

This is absolute BS. If he had spent 1/10 of 1% of that amount on his campaign, he would have been charged.

I just turned 2&2 into the NC Bar for making slanderous accusations about a fellow ambulance chaser.

Justin Burr thinks we should bring back the electric chair.

y5zqbJg.png

Back