• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

It's moronic. These people don't even start to consider what a teacher's salary is to the open market in NC or in comparison to other states.

Just about any good teacher in North Carolina could get a better paying job, either in their current county or within an hour of home. Take away the seniority raises and chip away at the benefits and there's no economic reason to be a teacher in this state.

Last edited:
It's a shitty model. Legeslators could easily put their thumb on the scale of the "calculations and algorithms" to drastically cut teacher pay and blame it on teacher performance.

Plus, I've heard the teachers union makes is super difficult to get rid of teachers who don't do their jobs!!!

The current pay scale offers little relief; a teacher with a bachelor’s degree starts at $35,000/year, and that goes up $1,000/year until they’ve been in the classroom for sixteen. Then their pay does not move for a decade, at which point they get a $2,000 raise—the last raise they’ll ever see. A North Carolina teacher faces the certainty that if they make a lifelong career out of teaching, they will see their pay in real dollars steadily decline.

The current pay scale offers little relief; a teacher with a bachelor’s degree starts at $35,000/year, and that goes up $1,000/year until they’ve been in the classroom for sixteen. Then their pay does not move for a decade, at which point they get a $2,000 raise—the last raise they’ll ever see. A North Carolina teacher faces the certainty that if they make a lifelong career out of teaching, they will see their pay in real dollars steadily decline.

For the NC GOP this is all a win-win situation. Fuck up teacher pay, take away benefits, and when teacher shortages occur and more and more people leave the system just use that as an excuse to talk about "failing public schools" and dump even more money into for-profit charters and homeschooling ventures. The more teachers that leave the system the better it is for them.

For the NC GOP this is all a win-win situation. Fuck up teacher pay, take away benefits, and when teacher shortages occur and more and more people leave the system just use that as an excuse to talk about "failing public schools" and dump even more money into for-profit charters and homeschooling ventures. The more teachers that leave the system the better it is for them.

Knowing quite a few teachers myself, it really is depressing as hell.

Worth mentioning that NC doesn't really have a teachers union.

Yep. Public Service Unions are illegal in NC, as collective bargaining by public service employees is forbidden by state law. The North Carolina Association of Educators (NCAE) is nothing more than a teacher's lobbying group that has been mostly ignored by the GOP-controlled state legislature for the past decade. Never seems to stop guys like Phil Berger from falsely claiming that it's a labor union though.

After my freshman year, I transferred to Yale University to study political science and witness the legislative process first-hand on Capitol Hill. After graduating from Yale, I pursued a law degree from the Wake Forest School of Law to escape the leftist propaganda of the Ivy League.
https://www.bo4nc.com/

Atta way to own the libs. I am sure he loved Wilson Parker's classes. Guy is running in his 3rd District this year.

LOL at BO.

Ron DeSantis escaped a Yale BA by going to Harvard Law.

It really has become almost comical to watch the frantic attempts of conservatives with Ivy League degrees (or at least degrees from prestigious schools) try to distance themselves from that and claim they're really just populist common folk fighting against those evil coastal elites. JD Vance's pathetic Senate campaign in Ohio is a prime example. He's basically pandering to the same people that he worked so hard to get away from for much of his younger years, including going to Yale, and writes rather condescendingly about in his book Hillbilly Elegy.

It would be fully comical if it didn’t work on the rubes. It would be fully comical if wealthy white elites haven’t been manipulating poor and middle class white people like this for centuries.

Deliverance, baby! And fyi, the cousin is male.

Back