• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

All of the dumbass stuff this fool has done and he's still got at least a 50/50 shot to be governor of North Carolina.

And that's not even taking into consideration his actual views on things - just his dumbassery.
kinda like someone else I know in a bigger race than governor

The NC state legislature voted in this year's budget to divert over $500 million to vouchers that could have gone to public ed (for things such as, say, raising the salaries of veteran teachers). They also no longer even bothered to pretend that the money would go to help poor kids pay for private or for-profit charters, instead anyone, including wealthy parents, can use the money, and there is little accountability for how the money will be spent. The Tennessee GOP is considering a similar plan, and the Arizona GOP legislature has already spent over $300 million on such a program.

What was the Arizona voucher money used for? According to the office of the Democratic AZ governor and AZ journalists, some of the money so far has been spent "funding luxury car driving lessons, ski resort passes, and [up to] $4,000 pianos" for people's homes. $3,400 was spent at a golf store, $350,000 for "Ninja Warrior Training Centers, Trampoline Parks, and Climbing Gyms", and "$1.2 million on martial arts instruction." Over $89 million went to help pay tuition at "Protestant and non-denominational Christian schools" and Catholic schools. As in NC, this is money that would normally have gone to support AZ public education. People can talk about ideology all they want, but it's clear that much of the diversion of money from public ed in many red and even purple states is quickly turning into a giant grifting scheme.

Last edited:
I posted about how Florida parents were buying Disney tickets, treadmills, etc under the FL plan on the DeSantis thread. It’s a ugly scheme.

Cooper is out of the country this week, means that Robinson is supposedly in charge. Watch for some possible shenangans, if Tim and Phil feel they can get away with them.

remind me, are we basically at the whim of the NC Supreme Court now? Didn’t SCOTUS say sorry and wash their hands of it? What was the difference in them striking down the AL map?

remind me, are we basically at the whim of the NC Supreme Court now? Didn’t SCOTUS say sorry and wash their hands of it? What was the difference in them striking down the AL map?
AL disenfranchised blacks.

That's the road a challenge to the USSC would have to go for NC.

The way the whole thing is aligned in Mecklenburg County is to favor Tricia Cotham, who will slide into Dan Bishop's seat as he runs for NC AG, and make trouble for Jeff Jackson, who is in a competitive district in one map, and double-bunked with a 77-year old black woman, Alma Adams, in another.

Back