• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

You are right. It should not be nor should any other group be beyond questioning. I believe criticism of her is due to the tropes used to convey her critique and an apology that doubled down by grouping the Jewish lobby with the NRA and and the fossil fuel industry.

*Nice word-craft.I like how she book-ended the Jewish lobby with the 2 most hated tropes within Leftism (the NRA and Big Oil). Nicely done..would have liked to have been around the table when they giggled at their own device on this bit. And that is an example of an apology crafted for one group in mind..her constituency.

She doesn’t need to nor should she apologize to any R’s but that is hardly the point and no R’s are asking for themselves.
She only needs to sincerely apologize to the Jewish Lobby. So far,she is struggling mightily.

This is much closer to the truth

Omar is criticizing money in Politics. Not Jewish money or Irish money or black money...money. AOC had a great expose on the potential for corruption in Congress just a few days before this incident and Omar was (admittedly clumsily) piggy backing on her social media success. Replace AIPAC with any other lobbying group and replace Israel/Palestine issues with another issue and what she said holds true:

Person on Twitter: McCarthy suggesting punishing AOC and Omar for proposing the Green Nee Deal. Why, despite all signs that that it is a dangerous pollutant, does American still use and promote burning coal?!?

Omar: It’s all about the Benjamin’s!

A different person on Twitter: What are you suggesting Congresswoman Omar? Would love to know who you think is paying American politicians to support coal? Though I think I know.

Omar: ACC (The American Coal Council)!

Sorry, she called on her god to strike down Jews. Local people in MN have been concerned about her anti-Semitism.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/02/...emitism-last-year-why-they-remain-frustrated/

“Over the course of about two hours, we shared with her our concerns for things, including language that has references and meanings beyond just the meanings of words. Tropes, dog whistles — call them what you will. We explained to her how hurtful, and factually inaccurate, they were.

“Most of us came out of that conversation very troubled by the answers we received. I was not convinced she was going to give a balanced approach to policy in the Middle East, and I was not convinced … where her heart is on these things.

“But we were glad she met with us, and we were hopeful she would be more careful about what she tweeted and she said if she got elected. Frankly, I was hopeful she’d grow in office a little, and understand the media platform she has. Instead, she keeps repeating her mistakes, if you can call them that.”

Later in the same article:

“Even in her tweet,” Latz said, “she cannot get away from saying that if other people criticize her, they run the risk of being labeled anti-Muslim. We have to call that out. At some point, it becomes a little tired to hear her say she’s being ‘educated.’ ”

Latz implied the latest incident might lead to a steady chorus of criticism from him and others.

“What can be done now is those of us who disagree sharply need to speak out publicly and forcefully. Some have been treating her a bit with kid gloves. No more.”

Sorry, she's is truly anti-Semitic.

Sorry, she called on her god to strike down Jews. Local people in MN have been concerned about her anti-Semitism.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/02/...emitism-last-year-why-they-remain-frustrated/

“Over the course of about two hours, we shared with her our concerns for things, including language that has references and meanings beyond just the meanings of words. Tropes, dog whistles — call them what you will. We explained to her how hurtful, and factually inaccurate, they were.

“Most of us came out of that conversation very troubled by the answers we received. I was not convinced she was going to give a balanced approach to policy in the Middle East, and I was not convinced … where her heart is on these things.

“But we were glad she met with us, and we were hopeful she would be more careful about what she tweeted and she said if she got elected. Frankly, I was hopeful she’d grow in office a little, and understand the media platform she has. Instead, she keeps repeating her mistakes, if you can call them that.”

Later in the same article:

“Even in her tweet,” Latz said, “she cannot get away from saying that if other people criticize her, they run the risk of being labeled anti-Muslim. We have to call that out. At some point, it becomes a little tired to hear her say she’s being ‘educated.’ ”

Latz implied the latest incident might lead to a steady chorus of criticism from him and others.

“What can be done now is those of us who disagree sharply need to speak out publicly and forcefully. Some have been treating her a bit with kid gloves. No more.”

Sorry, she's is truly anti-Semitic.

Do you have a link to back this assertion up? The tweet I saw, from 7 years ago, she asked her god to wake people up to the maltreatment of the Palestinian people. No mention of striking anybody down, but I'll take it back if you can show me some sort of "Allah must strike down the Jews!" quote.

Omar is criticizing money in Politics. Not Jewish money or Irish money or black money...money. AOC had a great expose on the potential for corruption in Congress just a few days before this incident and Omar was (admittedly clumsily) piggy backing on her social media success. Replace AIPAC with any other lobbying group and replace Israel/Palestine issues with another issue and what she said holds true:

Person on Twitter: McCarthy suggesting punishing AOC and Omar for proposing the Green Nee Deal. Why, despite all signs that that it is a dangerous pollutant, does American still use and promote burning coal?!?

Omar: It’s all about the Benjamin’s!

A different person on Twitter: What are you suggesting Congresswoman Omar? Would love to know who you think is paying American politicians to support coal? Though I think I know.

Omar: ACC (The American Coal Council)!

Who comes up with this baby time narrative? Oh,ok.So let me get it straight,somebody tweets asking about another pac and Omar giggle-google-tweets the acronym?So I have to admit that is some rock solid proof that this gal has done her homework.

It’s the same with AOC. You guys editorialize all the blanks and frankly there are a lot of blanks with AOC and Omar. The art lies,as it were,in neverminding what those two are actually saying..you can always come back after and explain “what she was really trying to say is... “. :)

Keep swinging dipshits

Argue with Alan Dershowitz,who is one of many trusted sources on the rise of Leftwing anti-semitism. He is easily one of the most educated people on this topic. Argue with him.

Do you have a link to back this assertion up? The tweet I saw, from 7 years ago, she asked her god to wake people up to the maltreatment of the Palestinian people. No mention of striking anybody down, but I'll take it back if you can show me some sort of "Allah must strike down the Jews!" quote.

Read the article from this month:

"Most of us came out of that conversation very troubled by the answers we received. I was not convinced she was going to give a balanced approach to policy in the Middle East, and I was not convinced … where her heart is on these things."

"Frankly, I was hopeful she’d grow in office a little, and understand the media platform she has. Instead, she keeps repeating her mistakes, if you can call them that.

The people who know her best don't believe her "conversion".

"Most of us came out of that conversation very troubled by the answers we received. I was not convinced she was going to give a balanced approach to policy in the Middle East, and I was not convinced … where her heart is on these things."

"Frankly, I was hopeful she’d grow in office a little, and understand the media platform she has. Instead, she keeps repeating her mistakes, if you can call them that.

Does it say what her "unbalanced" policy is? Her whole point, which I think is a fair one, is that the US's notion of a balanced policy is heavily skewed.

None of those quotes are things that she said and people saying "I was not convinced where her heart is...I'm not convinced she will have a balanced policy approach to the Middle East..." is a far cry from saying she called for Allah to strike down Jews.

Omar..giving lessons on the tequiyya*

Dems push to overlook this virulent anti-Semite.

But an article in a local Minneapolis/St. Paul newspaper reported Tuesday that Jewish leaders in Minnesota had spoken to Omar about her views last year — and that she failed to learn anything.

The Twin Cities Pioneer Press reported:

Last year, before she was elected to the House of Representatives, before she emerged from a crowded Democratic field in Minnesota’s liberal 5th Congressional District, leaders of Minneapolis’ Jewish community fashioned what could be described as an anti-Semitic intervention of Omar, a rising star of the left whose remarks had made many fellow Democrats in the Jewish community uncomfortable.

Last year, state Sen. Ron Latz, a St. Louis Park Democrat who has served in the Legislature since 2002, invited Omar to his house, where a number of Jewish leaders had gathered. It wasn’t an ambush; Omar knew that group was there, and their purpose was to enlighten her.

[Latz recalled:] “Over the course of about two hours, we shared with her our concerns for things, including language that has references and meanings beyond just the meanings of words. Tropes, dog whistles — call them what you will. We explained to her how hurtful, and factually inaccurate, they were.

“Most of us came out of that conversation very troubled by the answers we received. I was not convinced she was going to give a balanced approach to policy in the Middle East, and I was not convinced … where her heart is on these things.”

Well,a first for everything. I posted this earlier and RJ carried it further..

She seems to have had a number of these instances over the years.

It speaks for itself

When you take a hard no gray area stance on something and find yourself on the same side as lectro propaganda...

Let Ilhan Omar go from today as your first experience in the art of “tiqiyya”

And watch her from now on with it in mind. This will not be the last time you will see her in this very same position.

Again, you’re welcome to express your opinion. That doesn’t mean that I have to agree with you. That being said, only one of us has directly experienced anti-semitism in our lives and I’m telling you that criticizing Israel, in this case, isn’t anti-Semitic. There is an influential Israel lobby in American politics. It has a lot to do with why politicians are not talking about the apartheid state in the Middle East.

It most certainly was anti-Semitic and it wasn’t her first time and won’t be her last.

None of those quotes are things that she said and people saying "I was not convinced where her heart is...I'm not convinced she will have a balanced policy approach to the Middle East..." is a far cry from saying she called for Allah to strike down Jews.

I'll drop the word "strike" in my post, but you won't ever be able to convince such a dog whistle, structured attack on one party isn't who she is. Add to that then people whom she said helped "educate" her in her apology don't believe her contrition.

If I can't call her out, I don't have the right to call out Trump, Pence, King and others.

I'll drop the word "strike" in my post, but you won't ever be able to convince such a dog whistle, structured attack on one party isn't who she is. Add to that then people whom she said helped "educate" her in her apology don't believe her contrition.

If I can't call her out, I don't have the right to call out Trump, Pence, King and others.

Call her out all you want...but don't call her out for things she never said.

I understand that when one uses an historic anti-Semitic comment that it's wrong to do it. She could have added another target or said all political money is bad. She didn't.

I also understand that when people who went to meet her to create a way to fix the situation and don't believe her that it's likely something is there.

I understand that when one uses an historic anti-Semitic comment that it's wrong to do it. She could have added another target or said all political money is bad. She didn't.

I also understand that when people who went to meet her to create a way to fix the situation and don't believe her that it's likely something is there.

I'd suggest that your adding this "Allah strike down the Jews" business and attributing it to her is as equally anti-Islamic as her comments are anti-Semitic. You are using the widely held belief that Islam is a violent religion, to stoke anger and falsely bolster your argument that she hates Jews. You are playing on peoples' existing mis-perceptions and fabricating statements to advance your agenda.

To use birdman's example, why is targeting specifically coal PAC money OK but pro-Israel PAC money not OK?

Back