• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

She's being attacked because she is a young Muslim female, end of story. Strong AIPAC lobby if it has rj and Lector teaming up.

Like this is absolutely a non-story if Omar was white, and certainly a non-story if she was a white male.

Spot on, Shoo, said it better than I did.

Sorry, she called on her god to strike down Jews. Local people in MN have been concerned about her anti-Semitism.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/02/...emitism-last-year-why-they-remain-frustrated/

“Over the course of about two hours, we shared with her our concerns for things, including language that has references and meanings beyond just the meanings of words. Tropes, dog whistles — call them what you will. We explained to her how hurtful, and factually inaccurate, they were.

“Most of us came out of that conversation very troubled by the answers we received. I was not convinced she was going to give a balanced approach to policy in the Middle East, and I was not convinced … where her heart is on these things.

“But we were glad she met with us, and we were hopeful she would be more careful about what she tweeted and she said if she got elected. Frankly, I was hopeful she’d grow in office a little, and understand the media platform she has. Instead, she keeps repeating her mistakes, if you can call them that.”

Later in the same article:

“Even in her tweet,” Latz said, “she cannot get away from saying that if other people criticize her, they run the risk of being labeled anti-Muslim. We have to call that out. At some point, it becomes a little tired to hear her say she’s being ‘educated.’ ”

Latz implied the latest incident might lead to a steady chorus of criticism from him and others.

“What can be done now is those of us who disagree sharply need to speak out publicly and forcefully. Some have been treating her a bit with kid gloves. No more.”

Sorry, she's is truly anti-Semitic.

Omar has a more balanced approach to Middle East policy than at least 95% of Congress.

Is the Pro-Israel lobby the one organization that seems to have an equal grip on the balls of both parties? The fealty our politicians pay to Israel is crazy. If you just looked at it in a vacuum regarding the way our politicians behave re: Israel, you'd think the United States is the size of Israel and Israel the size of the United States.

Last edited:
Is the Pro-Israel lobby the one organization that seems to have an equal grip on the balls of both parties? The fealty our politicians pay to Israel is crazy. If you didn't have any context, you'd think we were the size of Israel and they the size of the United States.

Seriously. Israel is the short asshole at the bar who picks fights with everybody because his buddy is 6-5/250 and chiseled from granite.

Seriously. Israel is the short asshole at the bar who picks fights with everybody because his buddy is 6-5/250 and chiseled from granite.

Israel has a right to defend itself and occupies a precarious place in the world. And more often than not American interests will align with Israeli interests. But the United States shouldn't put Israel's national interest above its own. And I think that happens too often. And they definitely aren't above criticism. We're in place where our politicians can't even contemplate criticism of Israeli actions/policy for fear of retribution. It's not healthy.

To use birdman's example, why is targeting specifically coal PAC money OK but pro-Israel PAC money not OK?

First of all, I don't support AIPAC as it is too co-joined with Netanyahu, whom I vehemently oppose for being a huge impediment to a peaceful two state solution.

She called the country of Israel evil.Those were her words.

Add to that, the people whom she wanted to meet with to remedy and move on don't believe her. Which goes along with my position about her post being so specific and so filled with hate as being her true position on Israel and thus on Jews.

I realize this is far more nuanced than trying to say I am teaming up with Lectro, which ain't happening, but it isn't as simple as some are making it.

May be worth its own thread but twitter saying Donald will sign spending bill to keep government open but will also declare a national emergency on the southern border

May be worth its own thread but twitter saying Donald will sign spending bill to keep government open but will also declare a national emergency on the southern border

Per Mitch McConnell, who doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

I have it on good authority that neither God nor Allah will respond to smite-requests that arrive via tweet.

I am just going to repost this tweet for RJs benefit. There is no call to Jihad. She says Israel actions are evil, ie “evil doings of Israel” not that Israel is evil. RJ, you are adding so much additional content to this 7 year old 140 character tweet, I thought we should revisit the original text.

I am just going to repost this tweet for RJs benefit. There is no call to Jihad. She says Israel actions are evil, ie “evil doings of Israel” not that Israel is evil. RJ, you are adding so much additional content to this 7 year old 140 character tweet, I thought we should revisit the original text.

TITCR. She is a Muslim. She's asking her G-d to help the world - which is made up of people from a variety of faiths - wake up and see the Israel-Palestine situation for what it is. Keep in mind that the political and cultural climate was really different in 2012, arguably even more suffocating for anti-Zionist activist work and political sentiment.

First of all, I don't support AIPAC as it is too co-joined with Netanyahu, whom I vehemently oppose for being a huge impediment to a peaceful two state solution.

She called the country of Israel evil.Those were her words.

Add to that, the people whom she wanted to meet with to remedy and move on don't believe her. Which goes along with my position about her post being so specific and so filled with hate as being her true position on Israel and thus on Jews.

I realize this is far more nuanced than trying to say I am teaming up with Lectro, which ain't happening, but it isn't as simple as some are making it.

I thought it was pretty clear that she was referring to AIPAC lobbying and the Netanyahu government, but obviously I'm not an expert in Israeli politics. I understand where you're coming from though.

Read the article from this month:

"Most of us came out of that conversation very troubled by the answers we received. I was not convinced she was going to give a balanced approach to policy in the Middle East, and I was not convinced … where her heart is on these things."

"Frankly, I was hopeful she’d grow in office a little, and understand the media platform she has. Instead, she keeps repeating her mistakes, if you can call them that.

The people who know her best don't believe her "conversion".

American Jews have a very skewed perspective - gradually moving farther and farther right - on Israel-Palestine. You're conflating reports of what she said from biased participants with what she actually said back then (and at the meeting that the article references).

Interestingly, the Jewish community in Winston-Salem (where I grew up) has always been a lot more progressive on Israel-Palestine than Jewish communities that I have encountered since in places like NY and CA.

Back