• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

Yeah this has never changed. Conservatives in power just believe there must be some larger nefarious scheme going on because they're predominantly puppets for corporate and evangelical interests. They just assume the only reason anyone wants to make a change to the status quo is that they're being compensated for doing so and can't fathom another reason people may seek to do so.

Yep. That’s a very good post. Conservatives really struggle with the idea that some people actually care about other people.

Not actually sure where to put this but a Trump-aligned PAC sponsored a Trump 2020 car for nine NASCAR races. It crashed in pit row after 15 laps today.

https://www.totalprosports.com/2020/07/05/trump-2020-car-wrecks-on-pit-road-at-brickyard-400-video/

Sunday’s Brickyard 400 got off to a bad start when there was a multi-car wreck on pit row.

Reports state that there were nine drivers involved in the crash: Ryan Blaney, Martin Truex, Christopher Bell, Ricky Stenhouse, Brennan Poole, Justin Allgaier, Chris Buescher, Ryan Preece and Corey LaJoie.

Corey LaJoie made waves earlier this week when he was getting set to race with a “Trump 2020” paint job.

LaJoie’s No. 32 car didn’t have a very good day after that wreck.

LOL. If I remember correctly, extreme conservatives in the 50s and 60s said that the civil rights movement was secretly a communist operation to undermine America as well, and that its leadership was full of closet communists. They always do seem to need a "hidden" enemy to fight and rally against.

You don't remember correctly. Everett Dirksen, Republican leader in the Senate, was an author of the 1964 and 1968 Civil Rights bills and helped break the Southern Filibuster. He is a conservative hero.

Dirksen: "Victor Hugo wrote in his diary substantially this sentiment: 'Stronger than all the armies is an idea whose time has come.' The time has come for equality of opportunity in sharing of government, in education, and in employment. It must not be stayed or denied."

Man, I'm voting for Biden, but you all seem to have your heads so far up your ass kissing it, maybe you should learn some fucking history. Don't bitch about the absence of bipartisanship until you learn about both sides.

Last edited:
An author of the Civil Rights bills wasn’t one of the “extreme conservatives” he was referring to in that post.

An author of the Civil Rights bills wasn’t one of the “extreme conservatives” he was referring to in that post.

cfd8503dc3fc91a9657f74f3c52c1cb8.jpg

You don't remember correctly. Everett Dirksen, Republican leader in the Senate, was an author of the 1964 and 1968 Civil Rights bills and helped break the Southern Filibuster. He is a conservative hero.

Dirksen: "Victor Hugo wrote in his diary substantially this sentiment: 'Stronger than all the armies is an idea whose time has come.' The time has come for equality of opportunity in sharing of government, in education, and in employment. It must not be stayed or denied."

Man, I'm voting for Biden, but you all seem to have your heads so far up your ass kissing it, maybe you should learn some fucking history. Don't bitch about the absence of bipartisanship until you learn about both sides.

From the John Birch Society 1965 pamphlet "What's Wrong with Civil Rights": "The civil rights movement in the United States, with all of its growing agitation and riots and bitterness...has not been infiltrated by the Communists, as you now frequently hear. It has been deliberately and almost wholly created by the Communists patiently building up to this present stage for more than forty years." It states that a goal of the Communists was to create a "Negro Soviet Republic" in selected Southern cities to destroy capitalism and begin "Sovietizing" the entire United States. And so on. That's what I'm talking about. As for Dirksen, I'm well aware of what he did, and you said he was a conservative "hero", but how often do you hear leading Republicans talk about what he did? Why don't they publicize it more? I did see that Trump today tweeted an attack on NASCAR for banning the Confederate flag and bragging about their low ratings. I wonder if choosing leaders like Trump might have something to do with why they don't talk much about Dirksen and the civil rights bills?

The current state of partisanship can be traced back to Lee Atwater and Roger Ailes. Their successful political consulting group had a cornerstone belief that there weren't enough conservatives to put Republicans in office and the way to do it was to vilify opponents a deeply and intensely as possible. The truth didn't matter to them. Turning every issue and every election into Us vs. Them on steroids. It has worked.

When Ailes founded Fox New with Rupert Murdoch, they had a 24/7 propaganda arm unlike any party had in US history. Add to that Mitch McConnell and we got here. They had to make impossible to conceive of another friendship and negotiation like Reagan and Tip O'Neill had.

They effectively killed bipartisanship in this era.

I'm not saying there weren't other period of partisanship or that Dems have never acted badly in this area. All I'm describing is what's going on now.

I’ve never heard of Dirksen before that post. I have heard of the John Birch Society.

Fuck this

Trump's racism is destroying America's future by the way it's handling Dreamers.

Fuck this

And I thought it was bad when some of my foreign classmates had to work around student visas when figuring out clinical internships in school. What a nightmare for graduate school program directors.

RE:Dirsken - Until the Nixon/Buchanan Southern Strategy, Republicans were moderate to liberal. Southern Democrats of that era have become the base of the hardcore RW since 1970/72.

Katie Miller, Pence's press secretary and the wife of Stephen Miller, is quoted in a recently published book that "she visited child migrant detention centers to become more compassionate "but it didn't work." At the time she visited the centers she was the spokesperson for DHS, and told the book's author that "My family and colleagues told me that when I have kids I'll think about the separations differently. But I don't think so ... DHS sent me to the border to see the separations for myself — to try to make me more compassionate — but it didn't work." When the book's author asked her if she was a white nationalist, Miller replied "No, but I believe if you come to America you should assimilate. Why do we need to have Little Havana?" It looks like Stephen found himself the perfect mate.

Link: https://www.businessinsider.com/katie-miller-says-unmoved-by-child-detention-facility-visit-book-2020-7

Trump probably has 80% approval in Little Havana. Democrats in Miami-Dade should find a way to push that. “Trump advisor wants to get rid of Little Havana.”

Katie Miller, Pence's press secretary and the wife of Stephen Miller, is quoted in a recently published book that "she visited child migrant detention centers to become more compassionate "but it didn't work." At the time she visited the centers she was the spokesperson for DHS, and told the book's author that "My family and colleagues told me that when I have kids I'll think about the separations differently. But I don't think so ... DHS sent me to the border to see the separations for myself — to try to make me more compassionate — but it didn't work." When the book's author asked her if she was a white nationalist, Miller replied "No, but I believe if you come to America you should assimilate. Why do we need to have Little Havana?" It looks like Stephen found himself the perfect mate.

Link: https://www.businessinsider.com/katie-miller-says-unmoved-by-child-detention-facility-visit-book-2020-7

Katie (Waldman) Miller is the real Tracy Flick:

More than seven years ago, Waldman was in student government at the University of Florida when she became involved in an incident that would help define her time there.

It started with the publication of the Feb. 20, 2012 edition of the university’s independent student-run newspaper, The Independent Florida Alligator. It included an article reporting then-football coach Will Muschamp had endorsed a Waldman rival, a walk-on player who was running for student body vice president. Waldman was one of two students spotted discarding copies of that day’s Alligator.

And then there was Feb. 20, 2012. Waldman was seen with fellow student Jason Tiemeier when he tossed copies of the Alligator in the garbage. Waldman, a Unite student senator at the time, denied that she threw away any papers and said she advised Tiemeier against it. At the same senate meeting she offered the denial, she was named chair of the senate’s appropriations committee.

Tiemeier, also a Unite senator at the time, first denied the allegations then penned an apology letter in the Alligator, naming Waldman as his accomplice.

“When Katie Waldman and I were walking around campus, I let my sense of competition get in the way of the integrity and everything I believe I have always striven for in my time at UF," he wrote.

The full article: https://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2019/09/21/on-mike-pences-new-press-secretary-and-her-bizarre-florida-connection/?outputType=amp

Back