• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

Will be one of the bigger long term blows from the Trump administration, imo, and given the politics around immigration, will be difficult to correct.

the GOP has long gone beyond the pale but this outright voter suppression is such a blatantly autocratic maneuver setting the stage for riots come November

Any registered Republican, never-Trumpers included, has no claim to political respect

This is absolutely wild. Competent response to COVID will do that I guess.

But this can't be! All I heard for the 8 years of Obama's Presidency was that under Obama foreign leaders didn't take America seriously anymore, and that he was a weak and incompetent president in foreign affairs. Surely Dear Leader can't be even worse? #maga

Risch should thank Trump and McConnell for that. McConnell's not allowing Garland onto the Supreme Court put everything in play.

At least they're saying it out loud now. I can't tell you how many infuriating conversations I have had during my adult life where liberals and conservatives alike have talked about me about the legality of voter suppression dynamics and bosided issues from gerrymandering from DC/PR/Guam/USVI Congressional disenfranchisement. This was always the point.

strong-arming DC and PR into being states just seems like one of those cans of worms that gets turned back on liberals within their lifetime X fold

At least they're saying it out loud now. I can't tell you how many infuriating conversations I have had during my adult life where liberals and conservatives alike have talked about me about the legality of voter suppression dynamics and bosided issues from gerrymandering from DC/PR/Guam/USVI Congressional disenfranchisement. This was always the point.

Right. And again, one reason we have two Dakotas, each with barely more population than DC, is because Republicans wanted four Senators.

But PR has more residents than Iowa and they don't have any real representation.

strong-arming DC and PR into being states just seems like one of those cans of worms that gets turned back on liberals within their lifetime X fold

If the Dems win the Senate, then add DC and PR to that majority could hold for a while. In 2022 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_United_States_Senate_elections), most of the seats seem safe. The only Dem that might be in trouble is Bennett, but I think he's safe. The GOP only has NC (Burr retiring), PA and WI. There's not much for a change.

It could be more than a decade before it gets close again. By then, demographics will be changing in several states.

Back