• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

He says at midnight on Saturday from “Thread #13 to bitch about Republicans”. If only I could be as well adjusted and normal.

It’s fine to be angry at what’s really going on. It’s weird to make up reasons to be angry.

"People who truly believed that Democrats like Hillary and the Obamas were running a child pedophile ring out of a DC pizza joint, that some school shootings featured fake crisis actors to embarrass the NRA and gun nuts, that the election was stolen despite having zero credible evidence, and who ultimately descended on DC by the thousands and allowed their cult leader to incite them into attacking the Capitol building of the nation they sincerely and deeply loved in order to kill leaders of the government for not doing what Dear Leader wanted them to, must not be ridiculed or condescended to!"

They harbor genocidal fantasies against fellow Americans because they love this country.

Oh...love of country isn’t what’s being ridiculed or derided. It’s the woefully misguided passion...and those lying bastards intentionally propagating lies in order to inflame and misguide them would-be patriots whut luvs they country.

It’s not really love if all your passion is utterly misinformed...if you’ve been entirely deceived.

Apparently the new Congressional GOP talking point is that convicting Trump is a waste of time that could be better used fighting covid and healing the country, and it's unconstitutional anyway because Trump is now out of office. Nearly every Republican member of Congress on the Sunday morning talk shows today was repeating some version of that line.

The only important thing in my mind is can the Dems muster 17 Pub votes. By the "noise" going around its easy to believe they can't.

They can’t. That’s fine. Let them rally around Trump while all the dirt comes out. Let them continue to let him destroy the party from the inside.

They can’t. That’s fine. Let them rally around Trump while all the dirt comes out. Let them continue to let him destroy the party from the inside.

As a life long, now ex Pub its easy to say its sad what the Party has become.
More importantly though it makes me angry.
A once relevant Party supporting issues, many I supported, who for too many years has simply derailed. It all starts with failed Leadership, always does.
Bottom line, fuck em. You reap what you sow; you get what you deserve.
I will be first in line campaigning against my local Pub Joe Wilson. Hit the door Joe, and don't come back no more. You've embarrassed yourself and us.

Apparently the new Congressional GOP talking point is that convicting Trump is a waste of time that could be better used fighting covid and healing the country, and it's unconstitutional anyway because Trump is now out of office. Nearly every Republican member of Congress on the Sunday morning talk shows today was repeating some version of that line.

When it's time to pass the Covid relief bill, they will all vote no.

When it's time to pass the Covid relief bill, they will all vote no.

Yep. Whenever they’re out of power, it’s about how much more they could do if Democrats weren’t wasting time investigating Republicans. When they get into power, they waste a lot of time with BS investigations of Dems and they don’t pass anything meaningful except tax cuts.

It’s fine to be angry at what’s really going on. It’s weird to make up reasons to be angry.

I provided examples of the DNC blacklisting campaign consultants for working on primary challengers campaigns, and house leadership punishing AOC for supporting Henry Cuellars primary opponent. Your example is a state Republican Party making a meaningless performative declaration.

Excellent article about the Long Southern Strategy.

————

When the Equal Rights Amendment was on a trajectory to be approved by enough states to amend the constitution, the anti-ERA movement really went after Southern white women, because the Southern states were the states where they thought the ERA would have the best chance of failing because they’re the same states that had not ratified the 19th Amendment for women's suffrage. So if you're a strategist for the anti-ERA group and you're going, "Where might we kill this thing?," you're looking at places where the 19th Amendment wouldn't pass in 1920. And when they started talking to Southern white women, they really misrepresented the ERA.

They realized that Southern white women had been politicized by the anti-feminist movement led by Phyllis Schlafly, and then other movements like WWWW — Women Who Want to be Women [founded by Texas native Lottie Beth Hobbs] — and efforts from the Southern Baptist Convention to portray feminism as a threat to traditional gender roles. We’re starting to understand a little bit more about what happened. We talk about religion and Republicans in Southern politics, and we talk about race, but the bridge in the middle was the anti-ERA movement. It was one of their big sells. It's "family values."

The Republican Party finds it works. It helps them strengthen that growing allegiance with the Southern Baptist Convention and evangelicals and social conservatives. In the 2000s, for example, you see Republican strategists putting gay marriage amendments on ballots in states to really pull evangelicals to the polls, giving them much more of a place within the party.

It's important to know that they had to do all three of those things, because it turns out a lot of people are just one of those three. When we measure racial resentment and modern sexism, which is a measure of just anti-feminism, and Christian nationalism, there are some people that are all three, but a lot of people are two of three or one of three. It's just not enough that are all three, so it really takes that whole trifecta to define a new party brand.

It creates such a brand in the Republican Party that anybody who can come in and get those three elements the best can play to that hard right in a crowded field in a Republican primary. In 2016 Southern states move up their primaries, so whoever plays to those three things most effectively can gain quite a bit of momentum in the race for the Republican nomination.
———-

https://www.facingsouth.org/2021/01...gie-maxwell-countering-long-southern-strategy

Here's something I was thinking about...We all know that there's supposed to be a separation of church and state and all that, but there are so many small-town churches where I live where I would love to know what was being said behind closed doors on Sunday mornings. What's the percentage of churches out there that have political/Trump messaging during their services? I just wonder what some of these people are hearing when they go to church on Sundays, Wednesdays, etc

Back