• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

I mean, it makes sense to a point, and I've thought about it before at length. As we've seen, democracy (or republicanism, to be more accurate) is inherently flawed because of a combination of the nature of man, the nature of power, and an uninformed electorate, particularly as populations grow. Generally, a monarchy or dictatorship is a more efficient way to run a country, but there is even more likelihood that those in charge will work to their own benefit at the expense of the masses. There is the rare occasion that a person both has power and chooses to use it for the benefit of all, but it is impossible to guarantee that type of system, short of potentially the first in a new line of rulers. Ultimately, the damage done when the perfect situation isn't in place is very likely to outweigh the potential gains of a good ruler, and means required to get there in the first place is yet another consideration.

I mean, it makes sense to a point, and I've thought about it before at length. As we've seen, democracy (or republicanism, to be more accurate) is inherently flawed because of a combination of the nature of man, the nature of power, and an uninformed electorate, particularly as populations grow. Generally, a monarchy or dictatorship is a more efficient way to run a country, but there is even more likelihood that those in charge will work to their own benefit at the expense of the masses. There is the rare occasion that a person both has power and chooses to use it for the benefit of all, but it is impossible to guarantee that type of system, short of potentially the first in a new line of rulers. Ultimately, the damage done when the perfect situation isn't in place is very likely to outweigh the potential gains of a good ruler, and means required to get there in the first place is yet another consideration.

I don't mind having this discussion in certain contexts, but The American Conservative knows full well that their readership is supposed to think that Trump is that benevolent dictator.

Republicans are actually hazardous to our health.

They need to come with a warning label.

Rand Paul is refusing to follow the federal mask mandate while on the floor of the U.S. Senate.

Kick him out and don't allow him to vote unless he follows the law.

Rand Paul is refusing to follow the federal mask mandate while on the floor of the U.S. Senate.

Kick him out and don't allow him to vote unless he follows the law.

You've really turned the corner. Good for you, and all of us too.

She is extremely ignorant.

"If the security guard did his job, Cruz wouldn't have killed anybody."

30 seconds later.

"If schools had security guards, there would be no school shootings."

Back