• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

Can someone give me the argument for and against mail in voting?
While I understand that lower voter turnout (just by the numbers) is an advantage to Pubs, is there a legitimate argument that mail in voting can lead to abuse?
Also, I understand how requiring individuals to vote in person and produce a valid ID is difficult for many, should mail-in voting be limited to only individuals who apply and are approved for an exemption?
Or is mail-in voting just the way we are headed for total voter "convenience"? Also curious what other Countries do. Thanks.

For starters there is, quite literally, zero evidence of widespread voter fraud anywhere in the country. So the first question is "why is this so important to republicans?" For example, the lt governor of Pennsylvania (no fan of trump to be sure) said they had 3 cases of voter fraud back in the fall. 2 dead moms "voted" for trump posthumously. Don't recall the 3rd.

Voting by mail is easier and increases turnout. The military votes by mail from all over the world. Never really any issues.

Most politicians r or d vote by mail including some of those like the donald, mcconell, Pelosi etc last fall (and I assume longer). Of course the dolt tries to differentiate "vote by mail" and "absentee voting." OK donnie.

Also, consider why we still vote on Tuesday. One day. It makes no sense and only keeps lower income people from easily voting. They may need to secure transportation, taking time off is a luxury for people not working white collar jobs with PTO, child care in some cases. More than 60 court cases last fall could not provide any evidence of voting irregularities. Again, I keep coming back to the question of why so many republicans keep wanting to purge voter rolls, make voting harder (id, signature match, ending early voting, mail in voting, etc).

the state of washington is 100% mail in. everyone who is registered to vote receives a ballot in the mail.

You also have to look at "voter fraud" in context of centuries of restrictions on voting rights to make sure the votes of wealthy white men are overrepresented.

If they don’t get these bribes how do you expect them to pay for mailers with Nancy Pelosi photoshopped onto the ass of a baboon?

For starters there is, quite literally, zero evidence of widespread voter fraud anywhere in the country. So the first question is "why is this so important to republicans?" For example, the lt governor of Pennsylvania (no fan of trump to be sure) said they had 3 cases of voter fraud back in the fall. 2 dead moms "voted" for trump posthumously. Don't recall the 3rd.

The third was a Republican man who went to vote at the polls, left, came back wearing sunglasses, and attempted to vote as his Dem-registered son.

Ah, the classic “didn’t see the tweet defense.” But also if these tweets exist, they’re fake.

Ah, the classic “didn’t see the tweet defense.” But also if these tweets exist, they’re fake.

LOL at Graham. I love the "What position do you have today" remark. Graham could be describing himself with that one - his first political thoughts on pretty much every topic are "what's in it for me" followed by "what position will help me most at this particular moment?" He has no guiding principles or beliefs, but just sticks up a wet finger to see which way the wind is blowing. Somebody on CNN pointed out today all of the different positions he's taken on Trump just in the past month. No doubt he's thinking of running for the GOP nomination again in 2024 and hoping that sucking up to Trump and his base might pay off. It won't, and I don't see him ever getting the GOP nomination, but like Cruz he'll never stop believing that he has a chance, and everything will be calculated to that end.

Isn't Loomer from West Palm Beach or around there? Gaetz is in the panhandle.

Isn't Loomer from West Palm Beach or around there? Gaetz is in the panhandle.

I realize that those two places are basically different worlds, but you don’t actually have to live in the district.

Back