• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

Apparently House Republicans are now calling for Ilhan Omar to be removed from all of her committees in retaliation for Democrats going after Greene.

"House Republicans Brian Babin of Texas, Jeff Duncan of South Carolina, Jody Hice of Georgia, Andy Biggs of Arizona and Ronny Jackson of Texas – who, like Greene, also spread misinformation about election fraud – sponsored a proposed amendment to remove Omar from committee, first reported by FOX News..."Leftist Members of Congress have advocated for violence, anti-Semitism, anti-law enforcement, & other sentiments that have violated rules of decorum & principles of American decency," Biggs tweeted Wednesday. "That's why I'm calling for Rep Omar to be removed from her committee."

"Babin claims several of instances as evidence for Omar's removal from the House Foreign Affairs Committee, including her February 2019 tweet “It’s all about the Benjamins baby” responding to a comment made by House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy about punishing Omar for being critical of Israel."

If the GOP wins a House majority in 2022, expect a full-force effort to remove every member of the Squad from their committees. If nothing else, the GOP is vindictive and loves to retaliate, and defends their actions by pointing to LibDem "precedents", even if said precedents are actually very different from what they're doing, and were made in different circumstances and for different reasons.

For those that wish to compare them, Greene is on record as saying that there's an "Islamic invasion into our government offices right now" and that after the 2018 midterm elections "we saw so many Muslims elected...they want to put their hand on the Qur'an and be sworn in? No." Greene also said that Muslims do "not belong in our government." I don't think Omar has said anything like that about white Southern Evangelical Republicans.

Link: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/02/03/gop-targets-ilhan-omar-after-dems-try-oust-marjorie-taylor-green/4369715001/

So he's willing to resign in order to defend trump in a "trial" that is already predetermined. Brave man you are Q(uagmire)Anon. I guess he thinks there is more money in that outcome than remaining in congress.

0ae0553a57d4d0d4d22f30c6ef1e06b0

jack-nicholson-joker-1018634.png

How dare you compare either Jack Nicholson or The Joker to Gaetz! They had talent.

Love that the dude looks like he is going to cut this obviously insane person off, but then is like, "no, I'm going to ask a normal follow-up question."

It's really strange to me that people who are that crazy and misinformed watch CSPAN. I mean, that's the raw, unadulterated, boring truth of politics. I'm not sure how these people get spun so far away from reality and then some how square it with what they see on CSPAN. I mean, you've got to be absolute moron to watch any considerable amount of that channel and come away with a fiery hot take like that.

It's really strange to me that people who are that crazy and misinformed watch CSPAN. I mean, that's the raw, unadulterated, boring truth of politics. I'm not sure how these people get spun so far away from reality and then some how square it with what they see on CSPAN. I mean, you've got to be absolute moron to watch any considerable amount of that channel and come away with a fiery hot take like that.

My first thought was that it was a joke or a spoof caller and that the follow-up question threw him off.

This is all a game to Republicans. They do not care about anything except their own power. They do not care about dead bodies dropped by their supporters. In fact, they’re heroes whether it’s a random cop killing a random Black man or a random 17 year old white boy killing protesters. And they would have made a hero out of an insurrectionists who killed Pelosi or AOC too.

So its a simple majority to strip someone of all of their committee assignments (I probably should have remembered this from the King vote)? Pubs really might move to strip The Squad of all committee assignments if they win in 2022. If that works, they might just try to clear all Democrats from committees. Then Junebug will be along to tell us how it's the Dems fault for removing MTG to begin with.

I’d love to have a drink and argue politics with Kinzinger.

A bunch of freshmen in there, I count four that won back seats that Dems won in 2018. I'm guessing they're worried about being tied to Greene in 2022.

So its a simple majority to strip someone of all of their committee assignments (I probably should have remembered this from the King vote)? Pubs really might move to strip The Squad of all committee assignments if they win in 2022. If that works, they might just try to clear all Democrats from committees. Then Junebug will be along to tell us how it's the Dems fault for removing MTG to begin with.

I’m sure the GOP will abuse this. But it needed to be done and the precedent that her behavior is not acceptable is more important.

I’m sure the GOP will abuse this. But it needed to be done and the precedent that her behavior is not acceptable is more important.

Agreed. No doubt the GOP will try to remove the entire Squad from their committees if they win a majority in 2022, and will point to this as a precedent, but good luck to them in explaining how any member of the Squad said or did anything close to what Greene has done. At least I don't think any member of the Squad, no matter how controversial their statements, have said that Jewish space lasers started the California forest fires, the Parkland and Sandy Hook school shootings were staged and then filmed herself harassing a Parkland student survivor speaking for gun control while she held a gun, implied that 9/11 was faked, and implied that Pelosi needed to be shot and has been photographed holding a gun next to photos of the Squad. I loved what Hoyer did in showing those pictures to House Republicans and saying what he did. It's long past time for House Democrats to start standing up to the other side of the aisle. But no doubt Republicans have filed this away for future use - it's what they do.

Back