• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

This picture is from one of several entrances to Disney Springs. At most they mildly inconvenienced a few dozen people. The hubris of "the Entrance of Disney" is amazing.

278567081_10229292094509360_2768954404557717261_n.jpg

another jobless incel I see

…But look, none of this is a mystery. Republicans are following an old playbook, one that would have been completely familiar to, say, czarist-era instigators of pogroms. When the people are suffering, you don’t try to solve their problems; instead, you distract them by giving them someone to hate.

And history tells us that this tactic often works...

There an excellent lecture series about his life being but on my local chapter of the kl…..

Nah, I just finished listening to a detailed podcast series about his early years, it’s called Real Dictators. They usually do 2-4 podcasts chronically the lives of different tyrants. I highly recommend. Hitler’s was like 8 episodes split over two seasons.

Yes. Hitler's is REALLY good. Stalin was good too.

DeSantis "escalates his war" against Disney for daring to criticize his Don't Say Gay bill. In 1967 the Florida state legislature created the Reedy Creek Improvement District, a 38.5 square mile property that now houses "four amusement parks, two water parks, and over 40,000 hotel rooms" and gave Disney extensive control over this property. DeSantis now wants to remove that control as a punishment to Disney for speaking out against him, or as he phrases it "You have companies like a Disney that are gonna say and criticize parents' rights, they're gonna criticize the fact that we don't want transgenderism in kindergarten and first-grade classrooms."

Additionally, DeSantis is also seeking to "review a carve out Disney received that exempts the company from a law targeting alleged censorship by Big Tech companies." A GOP state legislator said "If Disney wants to embrace woke ideology, it seems fitting that they should be regulated by Orange County" and another GOP state legislator tweeted "Disney is a guest in Florida. Today, we remind them."

I read an editorial in the Miami Herald that pointed out that DeSantis is becoming more and more of a well-disciplined (and thus worse) Trump - he uses his total control of Florida state government to go after anyone who criticizes him, he's turning various minorities in Florida, especially the LGBT community, into his villains, and that Florida Democrats are a hopelessly inept group that has no real chance of beating him this fall. It's all straight out of Viktor Orban's handbook for taking over Hungary, and it appears to be working for DeSantis in Florida.

Link to USA Today article: https://www.yahoo.com/news/gov-ron-desantis-expands-special-163117016.html

Link to Miami Herald editorial: https://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/editorials/article260390577.html

How is this not an absolutely blatant violation of the First Amendment?

Can one of our resident conservative lawyers or the guy who gets super defensive of DeSantis please weigh in?

Republican lawmakers are being pretty specific that this is retaliation.

DeSantis "escalates his war" against Disney for daring to criticize his Don't Say Gay bill. In 1967 the Florida state legislature created the Reedy Creek Improvement District, a 38.5 square mile property that now houses "four amusement parks, two water parks, and over 40,000 hotel rooms" and gave Disney extensive control over this property. DeSantis now wants to remove that control as a punishment to Disney for speaking out against him, or as he phrases it "You have companies like a Disney that are gonna say and criticize parents' rights, they're gonna criticize the fact that we don't want transgenderism in kindergarten and first-grade classrooms."

Additionally, DeSantis is also seeking to "review a carve out Disney received that exempts the company from a law targeting alleged censorship by Big Tech companies." A GOP state legislator said "If Disney wants to embrace woke ideology, it seems fitting that they should be regulated by Orange County" and another GOP state legislator tweeted "Disney is a guest in Florida. Today, we remind them."

I read an editorial in the Miami Herald that pointed out that DeSantis is becoming more and more of a well-disciplined (and thus worse) Trump - he uses his total control of Florida state government to go after anyone who criticizes him, he's turning various minorities in Florida, especially the LGBT community, into his villains, and that Florida Democrats are a hopelessly inept group that has no real chance of beating him this fall. It's all straight out of Viktor Orban's handbook for taking over Hungary, and it appears to be working for DeSantis in Florida.

Link to USA Today article: https://www.yahoo.com/news/gov-ron-desantis-expands-special-163117016.html

Link to Miami Herald editorial: https://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/editorials/article260390577.html

Hello Mr. Republican Supporter, for years you have been complaining about too much government oversight and now you are rooting for the State of Florida to have more oversight of a company. For years you have been telling us you want the free market to regulate companies, but now you want the State of Florida to do that instead. Instead of a company paying for its own police, fire fighters and sanitation, you want the people of Florida to pay for it out of their own taxes. Please tell me how this makes sense? Oh, its because you don't believe in any of that anymore, and only believe in Owning the Libs? Thank you for clarifying.

Taking aim at what has to be the largest employer in the state is a bold move.

Largest private employer.

If the largest public employer is the school system, he's got that covered too.

Hello Mr. Republican Supporter, for years you have been complaining about too much government oversight and now you are rooting for the State of Florida to have more oversight of a company. For years you have been telling us you want the free market to regulate companies, but now you want the State of Florida to do that instead. Instead of a company paying for its own police, fire fighters and sanitation, you want the people of Florida to pay for it out of their own taxes. Please tell me how this makes sense? Oh, its because you don't believe in any of that anymore, and only believe in Owning the Libs? Thank you for clarifying.

"Government is evil and can only hurt people, let's reduce government" never turned into much of a policy that anyone in government wanted to consistently practice-at least not to the extent of the increasingly fanatical voter base that Republicans keep enabling. Now it's increasingly "Government is evil, vote for me and I will use government to hurt the right people". This one might have some staying power.

If the largest public employer is the school system, he's got that covered too.

"Government is evil and can only hurt people, let's reduce government" never turned into much of a policy that anyone in government wanted to consistently practice-at least not to the extent of the increasingly fanatical voter base that Republicans keep enabling. Now it's increasingly "Government is evil, vote for me and I will use government to hurt the right people". This one might have some staying power.

Good point - it reminds me of the telling quote from the Trump supporter who said a few years ago that her problem with Trump was that he wasn't hurting "the right people." To quote from an analysis of the January 2019 article:

"On Monday, the New York Times’s Patricia Mazzei published a dispatch from Marianna, Florida — a small, politically conservative town that depends on jobs from a federal prison and thus has been deeply hurt by the government shutdown. In the piece, Marianna residents grapple with the fact that President Donald Trump, who most residents support, is playing a role in the pain created by lost wages.

Most Marianna residents support Trump’s border wall, his key demand in the shutdown fight, and don’t blame him for the fight. But Crystal Minton, a secretary at the prison who is also a single mother caring for disabled parents, had a somewhat different reaction — one that reveals an essential truth about the core Trump’s political appeal.

“I voted for him, and he’s the one who’s doing this,” Minton told Mazzei. “I thought he was going to do good things. He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting.”

Link: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/1/8/18173678/trump-shutdown-voter-florida

I should add that it looks as if DeSantis has been reading all these articles and has learned from them (and Trump) that as long as he inflicts pain and governmental bullying on various LibDem groups his GOP base will just love and adore him all the more.

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Embracing Trumpism/White Supremacy/Sedition

That’s the whole goal of conservative politics. Returning to its roots.

Here’s a good breakdown of how conservative retaliatory politics could cost Florida residents.

Analysts Say Florida Stripping Disney World’s Power Could Cost Residents and Counties

Dr. Susan MacManus, a political analyst and University of South Florida Distinguished Professor Emerita of Political Science, said she finds the threat against the Reedy Creek Improvement District unusual because of all it would take to unravel it.

If the RCID were eliminated, control of the 40+ square miles owned by Walt Disney World would go back to the two counties it straddles – Osceola and Orange. They would have to provide the fire protection, emergency medical services, permitting services and other governance that Disney now does for itself.

And they would be doing it without more tax money.

“The special district does not exempt Disney from paying property taxes,” Clark said. Disney is Central Florida’s largest taxpayer, paying nearly $300 million per year in property taxes to Orange and Osceola counties, as well as about $250 million in other state taxes.

So, if those counties had to assume many of the roles the Reedy Creek Improvement District now performs, they would be doing it without any real expanded income, save some potential permitting and other construction fees. The counties could create a special fire protection taxing district to re-coup some of the money needed to replace the 200-employee Reedy Creek Fire Department, which provides 911 emergency services, fire protection, and emergency medical services. But other services counties are expected to provide would fall back to both of the counties to fund, and that might lead to an increase in property taxes for local residents, Clark said.

Orange County may even stand to lose some income, Clark said, as the cities contained in the Reedy Creek Improvement District – Lake Buena Vista and the City of Bay Lake – contract with the Orange County Sheriff’s Department for some police protection. The two cities budgeted a combined $22.8 million for this police protection in fiscal year 2022.

“I’m not sure they (Orange and Osceola counties) want to take over Disney World,” Clark said. “It’s kind of a bottomless pit in terms of how much it would cost them – it’s the great unknown.”

“I never thought I’d see the day that Florida’s largest employer, @WaltDisneyWorld, would be under attack by the Florida Legislature. Disney is larger than most cities, complete w fire stations, police officers, hospitals, & now adding affordable housing,” Rep. Allison Tant (D.-Tallahassee) said Monday in a tweet.

https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2022...rlds-power-could-cost-residents-and-counties/

Curious to see how Florida Dems mess up a pro-business/anti-tax increases stance.

DeSantis is on a roll!

Back