• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

The hidden objective here is to hurt Val Demmings and her husband's political prospects by shifting the tax burden onto the residents of Orlando, the political power base of Demmings. Demmings is the presumed Democratic opponent to Desantis in the Fall.

Exactly.

For anybody who still thinks that DeSantis isn't ruling like a tinhorn dictator in Florida, and that if (when) he's reelected he's only going to get worse, there's this news item: in Florida, as in most states, it's the legislature and not the governor who drives the redistricting process after each census. Even though the Florida legislature is deep-red Republican, DeSantis actually thought their gerrymandering of US House districts wasn't good enough and pressured them to go back and draw districts that were even more heavily gerrymandered for the GOP than the legislature wanted to go.

Specifically, DeSantis had the legislature eliminate a black-majority district that they had not originally targeted. This is how democracy works in Florida right now:

"The surprising act of defiance began a little before noon, when Rep. Yvonne Hinson went over her allotted speaking time and had her microphone cut off, prompting other Black legislators to stand without being recognized and gather in the center of the chamber, showing off shirts that read “Stop the Black Attack” and sitting on the state seal on the blue carpet.

In all, four Black legislators and a Hispanic representative — Hinson, Angie Nixon, Travaris McCurdy, Felicia Robinson and Daisy Morales — occupied the center of the chamber as bewildered Republicans looked on.

House Speaker Chris Sprowls tried to rule them out of order, and when they refused to comply, the session was gaveled into an indefinite recess. The Republicans then left; the TV feed to the Florida Channel, which was broadcasting the session, was cut; an Associated Press photographer was kicked off the floor by the sergeant-at-arms and had his media pass taken away; and the top security official kicked out the few members of the public observing in the gallery and barred others from entering...the GOP majority took the floor in force an hour later, determined to pass the map. Hinson stood at the center of the floor, on the seal, while Nixon and McCurdy sat beside her. Nixon shouted: "When Black votes are under attack, what do we do?" "Stand up, fight back!" McCurdy shouted back. The two engaged in the call-and-response chant, drowning out Sprowls' voice on the speaker system as he tried to talk about decorum.

But Republicans could hear him enough, and when he called for a vote, the map easily passed, and the Republican majority erupted in loud applause, drowning out McCurdy and Nixon. The speaker then took up legislation to change The Walt Disney Co.'s special self-governing statute. Nixon and McCurdy kept chanting while Republicans voted again and won, applauding once again, and the session came to a close."

Again, this was all done at the insistence of DeSantis to eliminate a black-majority US House district that even the GOP Florida legislature wasn't going to eliminate. If this keeps up Florida should just be nicknamed Little Hungary.

Link to NBC News article: https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-d...170022770.html

The hidden objective here is to hurt Val Demmings and her husband's political prospects by shifting the tax burden onto the residents of Orlando, the political power base of Demmings. Demmings is the presumed Democratic opponent to Desantis in the Fall.

think you mean against Rubio for Senate, unless I've missed something recently. or is her husband running for governor? Thought Crist was gonna be the D?

think you mean against Rubio for Senate, unless I've missed something recently. or is her husband running for governor? Thought Crist was gonna be the D?

My Mistake, Val is presumed to be the Dem nominee for Senate. But either way, this is an attack on the Democratic strong hold of central FL and the Demming political family. Jerry Demmings is the Mayor of Orange County, which as of the passage of this bill suddenly has $1B in debt.

My Mistake, Val is presumed to be the Dem nominee for Senate. But either way, this is an attack on the Democratic strong hold of central FL and the Demming political family. Jerry Demmings is the Mayor of Orange County, which as of the passage of this bill suddenly has $1B in debt.

I guess in terms of voters this is already a Dem-centric area, so won't do too much to help sway the election other than I guess drive up turnout?

Florida voters are dumber than I thought if they're going to blame the mayor for the governor giving the city $1B of debt.

Florida voters are dumber than I thought if they're going to blame the mayor for the governor giving the city $1B of debt.

Florida voters are dumb. This just folds into a Democrats raise taxes narrative.

The Mayor will have to raise taxes. The play here is "See, Dems RAISE taxes!!" which will work in other areas of the state where voters aren't all that familiar with the details of Orange County.

279042790_10160848445816800_4482252325048075198_n.jpg

Disney should be taking on as much debt as possible right now.

"...which is why I'm asking for you to vote for me in the primary and again in November !"

Michigan State Senator, running for US Congress for Michigan's 7th Congressional District, sent this email out to constituents:

Screenshot-20220424-081829-Chrome.jpg

ho hum, another day, another instance of Cawthorn breaking the law. This time busted by TSA at CLT for trying to bring a gun through security.

Publicity stunt? Seems like he'd rather have people talking about him carrying a gun than any of the other stories that have been out recently.

Publicity stunt? Seems like he'd rather have people talking about him carrying a gun than any of the other stories that have been out recently.

He thinks he's above the law and continues to act that way because he's faced no repercussions for his actions. Like recently he made a deal with the Buncombe DA to not revoke his license over a traffic violation. But the DA later came out and said that the the day after they struck the deal he learned that Cawthorn had faced a similar charge in GA. Why didn't, you know, look into that? Did you not ask or just take his attorney at face value (who would've then lied)?

Back