• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

this is hilarious. apparently mccarthy already moved into the speaker's office?

V4rUrwk.jpg

That cover is hilarious. How many GOP House leaders need to get run out of town before they realize it’s not worth it? There are far better grifts out there than House leadership.

Last edited:
Vote against me all you want. I'm already in the office ! !

Republicans don’t ask for permission.

The whole “socially liberal but fiscally conservative” idea is impossible irl.

The American capitalist mission was to establish such a broad middle class culture that an American collectivist proletariat identity could never form. That mission has been wildly successful. Americans making 40k a year living in mobile homes identify more strongly with billionaire celebrities than with the homeless in their own community. The powerful who run our country and determine our culture for us define “middle class” as simply anyone with a job, refusing to discriminate between working poverty and obscene passive wealth. We ruthlessly eliminate any concept of collectivism in this country out of fear that collectivism will destroy our economic liberty - which philosophically amounts to a scratch off lottery ticket. Ironically it’s the working poor in this country who almost solely subscribe to the actual billion dollar lottery industry, while the economically secure mostly consider the lottery as a frivolous waste of money and a “poor tax”.

Jim Jordan just gave his support to McCarthy for Speaker. We'll see if that makes any difference on the second ballot.

Did anyone ever think the days of Paul Ryan would comparatively look favorable to any of his pub successors?

I mean, Paul Ryan got the speakership the last time the Republicans rejected Kevin McCarthy. So it might not look much different from McCarthy's perspective. (Other than the times he had to degrade himself by sorting Starburst and whatnot.)

What do the Democrats do? It would suck to have to sit through round after round of votes - if that is what ends up happening. However, if some of them leave, then the math changes for what the Pub "leader" needs. I assume they relish the embarrassment that the Pubs are bringing on themselves, so I guess most, if not all, just suck it up and play along?

Probably laugh at the Pubs and make funny tweets about them dealing with the consequences of gerrymandering and political calcification.

What do the Democrats do? It would suck to have to sit through round after round of votes - if that is what ends up happening. However, if some of them leave, then the math changes for what the Pub "leader" needs. I assume they relish the embarrassment that the Pubs are bringing on themselves, so I guess most, if not all, just suck it up and play along?
Sit through like 3 rounds and then get the math right to let enough people leave and let McCarthy have it, unless it looks like somebody more moderate is going to be elected. Stay as long as they have to to make sure nobody alt-right does.

Back