• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Online Virtual Coach Simulation

I hope kmoney is making sign up and game coaching real time instead of files/batch processed on MWF. DTL needs to be a database app instead of a file app. I also hope he's automating the running of the game. He's probably not going to touch the game engine - first, it is pretty good as is, and second, it may be a logical black box to him. I don't want to start a Game Enhancements thread on the simboards bc it will get polluted with stupid stuff and I am sure kmoney already has his short list of things he wants and can do. But for here, I'm looking for a more real time game and automated game running.

I always thought a better model would be to have games running every day (automated/ db like you mentioned)

How I envision it working would be league games would go MWF like now. Then I would add additional things you can enter your team into for a small fee. $1 and such. These would be scrimmages ($0.10?$.025?) which would occur on the hour, every day/night once both teams are input and would not impact players fatigue or injury wise. Then I would have an overall mega tournament as well as ability for players to create their own tournaments and invite other teams. These tournaments would likely start @ $1 per team and games would be Tu, Thu, Sa with the Mega tournament being Sunday. These would be structured so they end prior to the post season.

Then I would turn the post season into a bit bigger event, perhaps shifting to a daily schedule. Teams would accumulate prestige the better they do in post season (one of the recruiting factors I would add in) and teams that get knocked out would get some form of additional boost (possibly in way of scrimmages to gain more insight into recruits or training your own team)

The key would be to make it so there is things you 'can' do every day if you want to but not force players into it. Thus you could stick with MWF if you wanted or you could play M-S if you really wanted to and lots of tiny transactions that would help fund the game, more support staff and development etc.

I like those ideas. Would the Tu/Th/Sat games count on a team's record? If so, teams would play a different number of games? How is Prestige different from Win?

I like those ideas. Would the Tu/Th/Sat games count on a team's record? If so, teams would play a different number of games? How is Prestige different from Win?

Extra tournaments wouldn't count on your regular season record or help you get into the NTT. They might increase prestige or simply be for bragging rights (DeACCon comes to mind)

Prestige would be weighted. So a win might be +1 a loss might be -1. Winning a tournament game might be +2, winning in the elite eight might be +5, Winning in the Final Four +7, winning it all +10. Losing in the NTT wouldn't give any negatives. Winning a conference tournament or regular season title would also have a small bump in prestige.

So you might be able to gain 30-40 prestige in a season or lose 20 in a season. Over time, historic programs, you're UNC, Kentucky, etc., would have a much higher prestige. Some kids would want that as a priority while others might find it a negative.

Numbers of course might not be accurate to what the system needs, I'm just throwing ideas out to explain the concept.

I'd have a much more in depth recruiting structure as well with several additional things that matter to the players. Winning (which would take into effect last 3-5 seasons), Prestige (which would be the teams overall historic success/failure), Location (closer/further), City Size (Bigger or Smaller have appeal), Possible other recruiting elements: Attention (the more effort you put into getting the recruit), Coaching Prestige (assuming coaches could swap teams), Program GPA (This might simply be a default value initially but goes up/down based on the GPA of recruits you go after), and of course scholarship offering (some might want to sign earlier than others, giving a boost to those that offer earlier)

Obviously a lot of elements there would need to be play tested and a few might need to be dropped all together, but there is room for improvement in the DTL Recruiting system.

Attention is captured by the RPE.

So exactly a year.

Yeah, every few weeks I will log in and check my simstats - they are updated for career numbers now.

I haven't really kept up. Has kmoney announced any major changes?

So exactly a year.

And I'm betting heavily on the over.

I log in the check every once in a while, but the interval between is increasing. There are folks still hanging on every post and update over there, and I'm curious to see how long they endure.

yeah...i can't believe it has taken so long.

Hope everyone had a good holiday season.

I did, and hope you did as well.

If you've been reading the sim boards, you know kmoney's schedule is sliding terribly. "Life," as always and before, is getting in his way. Which is okay. There are things way more important than this little game. But it appears the game is down indefinitely, if not permanently. Makes you appreciate the original programmer. kmoney says he'll sell the game if he has not made progress by the anniversary of it being down (May), so we have 4-5 months of "I'm going to work on the game. I mean this time!" until reality finally dawns on kmoney and he does *something* with it. I wish it were better news, and I wish I were more surprised; but I'm not.

Thanks for the update. I don't know why he turned down all the help he got when he originally took it down. At least give people a shot and edit their work rather than take the burden of redoing it from scratch.

well that is disappointing, to say the least. i haven't checked the sim boards since pre-Thanksgiving...i am starting to fear that it will not return. i had a feeling when kmoney decided to proceed solo on the rebuild in addition to his real job and family. there are only so many hours in the day and shit...

thank for the update

yesterday update:

Re: Dev Schedule

Postby kmoney » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:13 pm
If I have not made serious progress by the 1 year mark, I will start the process of transfering the rights to someone/some group who I think has the capability to build an awesome sim. I will probably even become a player again :D I have built more complicated things from scratch, but the past year has been a tough one and I have been forced to dedicate time to other things. I have 4/5 months here to give it one last go, if it doesn't work out for me, I'll do what I can to see that it works out for the game.

sigh...

I did, and hope you did as well.

If you've been reading the sim boards, you know kmoney's schedule is sliding terribly. "Life," as always and before, is getting in his way. Which is okay. There are things way more important than this little game. But it appears the game is down indefinitely, if not permanently. Makes you appreciate the original programmer. kmoney says he'll sell the game if he has not made progress by the anniversary of it being down (May), so we have 4-5 months of "I'm going to work on the game. I mean this time!" until reality finally dawns on kmoney and he does *something* with it. I wish it were better news, and I wish I were more surprised; but I'm not.

I haven't kept up with it honestly. How much would he ask for for the game? I'd be interested in building a new version. Would be nice to have the sim formulas and code from this game to do it. That's the main reason I haven't gone out and built something already.

If you can start alone, I would. arborwolf didn't have enough time for the game. kmoney came in and promised it would be different, but life got in his way, too. I don't know if you can code around the engine, but the past says kmoney won't get it done. Be sure to give recruiting advantages to coaches with "wake" or "deac" in their names. :thumbsup:

Back