• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Online Virtual Coach Simulation

So the Pressure is on....

Looking at the Magazine's Boca's squad is #1 in 4 year rankings!

A lot of pressure for a squad that has never gotten past the 2nd round of the NTT, but talent wise we've got a really good squad.

Figured I'd toss these out for comparisons:

+51/-1 (All players including NA.) NA is +5/-1 so +46 without expected NA.

Shot +11
Def +7
Hands +11
Reb +8
Int +6
Ath + 9

It's still early, but Boca is likely to Max Jake Evans from C13. E local and G winning guard.

Looking at the class early on, I'm going to take some risks, I think.

I've been reading through the thread (up to page 24 now), and there's a lot of good information in there. My team right now is a very sad +21/-8, so there's a lot of work to be done. I'm confident I can push .500, though, since C13 seems fairly weak.

Just to make sure, I shouldn't spend any RP until next week, right? What's the schedule for when recruiting starts to roll over?

I've been reading through the thread (up to page 24 now), and there's a lot of good information in there. My team right now is a very sad +21/-8, so there's a lot of work to be done. I'm confident I can push .500, though, since C13 seems fairly weak.

Just to make sure, I shouldn't spend any RP until next week, right? What's the schedule for when recruiting starts to roll over?[/QUOTE]

Right. Recruiting will process for the first time on Friday, Oct 28th. No hurry. Wait and see who is a legit recruit and who is a pretender. That is why I wait until after next Wed's games have played.

Just to make sure, I shouldn't spend any RP until next week, right? What's the schedule for when recruiting starts to roll over?

It skips the first Friday, then you get points every Friday after that. Points do NOT carry over from season to season so spend em all during the season.

If you put points onto players before Monday or Wednesday's games, they will show up after games are simmed. This is important as it can be used to scare people off or could hurt you when trying to sneak up on a player. Also CPU coaches wont put points onto players until Friday, so if you do points early the CPU will potentially MAX on Friday where it otherwise may have done 8 or 9 points. So the general consensus is not to put points on until Thu/Fri with a few exceptions.

First, being to scare someone off a recruit and the Second, being Friday night after the reveal. Recruiting will occur on Saturday mornings as well as the 3 game nights. This is used as a strategy on guys that are unranked at the reveal to see if by maxing them again they push into the rankings. This helps to determine if you have competition and your strategy moving forward. Ie dropping off, finding others in the net etc.

With regards to your first season, There are 2 trains of thought. Season one is kind of a free pass. You can shoot for the moon and just go with what you get. If you get lucky, then next season is easier to recruit and things are good.

The second, would be to go for +1/+2 guys and build up your team slowly. Like you said it should be easier to get into top tier of C13, so getting some solid role players would help you achieve that goal and thus help your recruiting as you start to win more and more games.

Deciding your path really comes to 1 question. If you end up with 3 players worse than what you have now are you ok waiting 6 weeks to try again or will you get frustrated and lose interest?

If you're fine taking a shot and starting from scratch next season then take a shot. I did this in L15 and it paid off. With how bad L7 C13 is, I took the slow approach and it paid dividends quickly as each season I was able to over recruit who I had and put the previous starters on the bench and eventually NA. Just a question of your patience.

I've posted a preview for the DeACCon challenge this season.

http://www.drivethelane.com/bask/forum/viewtopic.php?p=184537#184537

I'm sure I'll go 1-5 now...
:eek:

Feel free to put in your thoughts, opinions and predictions. Good luck to everyone.

Good writeup storm, always a fun read. I commented a little on the DTL forums as well as what i'll post here. This tourney is just a monster, so much talent at just every position. It's a pretty daunting looking Invitational.

Flagstaff brings in renewed energy after a disappointing 2-4 NTT after bowing out in the Sweet 16 last season. As it has been the last 4 or 5 seasons we will expect to win every game on our schedule but wouldn't be surprised if we go 1-5 in the DeACCon tourney. A quick overview of how the CPU wants us to start our team as:

Shot- +10
Def- +8
Hands- +6
Reb- +10/-1
Int- +6
Ath- +5

Currently on NA I have:

Shot- +2
Def- +2
Hands- +2
Reb- +1
Int- +1
Ath- +0

So I could do several different things with my lineups, so it will be interesting to see how everything shakes out. Should be a fun season in Flagstaff.

If L15, my St. Louis Squad squares off with warak and his loaded Casper squad. My prediciton.... pain for St. Louis. Good luck coach.

Okay, so I ran about 10 HS scrimmages. How many would you guys say is enough to alleviate small sample size concerns? Since I'm mostly looking at big guys, I didn't worry too much about looking at them at different positions (5 each with them at PF and C). Should that be enough to figure out what I've got?

Okay, so I ran about 10 HS scrimmages. How many would you guys say is enough to alleviate small sample size concerns? Since I'm mostly looking at big guys, I didn't worry too much about looking at them at different positions (5 each with them at PF and C). Should that be enough to figure out what I've got?

No. I try to run at least 8 per player per position. More against different players to see how they so against better players.

That's what gets sacrificed when I busy during recruiting.

Last edited:
Surprisingly big win for Boca tonight against Duluth. 84-69.

FR Brice Truong had a solid start with 9 pts, 10 boards which was exactly what we needed from him. Overall Boca out rebounded Duluth 44-27. Ernest Morin and Erin Atkins had a shooting fest against one another with Atkins edging Morin 26-24. For Atkins this was his second highest scoring game of his career and I hope he has a breakout season as a SO.

Poisson and Hutchings both contributed 14.

Good luck with the rest of the Season PH.

I'm like PH on this. I put 10 guys in starting lineups (team 1 and 2) then I scrimmage 10 games.

Then I'll shuffle the lineups around completely with other prospects and run 10 more. Once I have a couple of solid prospects that I like, I then try and run him 5-10 games against tougher caliber players to see how he performs against the competition. Then I make a decision on which ones to max.

Quick question- is there an easier way to get the stats from HS scrimmages into an Excel sheet, or do I have to do it manually to compute averages and stuff?

Lost a killer to Cinci by 1 point after missing two chances in the last minute to win. Had 10 turnovers, but that isn't terrible considering the new line up. Still tinkering around a bit with things, as I'm always getting out rebounded. Whistler had a nice debut with 14 and 6 at the SF position, though. He's going to be a great addition.

Flagstaff picked up a nice 79-69 win over Nashville. Gene Macklin proved to be just what the doctor ordered to fill our hole at SG, shutting down Senior Charles Robinson to just 10 points on 4/17 shooting. Offensively Rene Naquin led the way, going for 17 points and 9 boards along with 3 defensive stats. Game was worn by our size, out-rebounding Nashville 45-26 and scoring 28 points from the C spot. Freshman Paul Livingston didn't look quite ready for the big time in his starting PF role, going 2-8 and giving up 15 points. He won't be needed to start this year anyway so that's okay. Not quite sure who I will be starting at PG yet but Naquin at the 5, Stone at the 4, and Macklin at the 2 seem pretty set in stone. The other three guys fighting for a start are Angelo Pedigo at PG, Eric Sullivan at PG or SF, and then senior Dennis Cruickshank at SF or possibly PF if Stone's defense lets us down.

Should be a fun season in Flagstaff.

Oh and I was right about warak wearing me out in the first game of L15, was hoping it wouldn't be to the tune of 110-69. Ouch. At least Lavon Dickinson is a stud, going for 20 points on 10-15 shooting and 6 boards. Not much else to report besides waraks team is nasty and mine, well, is a work in progress.

If tonight is any indicator, I am going to have a LONG season. Lost to Flint, and had just an abysmal shooting night. Again, I need to find out who my SF is going to be. Lots of questions, and an emphasis on recruiting will be key. Not expecting much, besides Gary and Ruis to step it up...

Not trying to downplay you Flint, hope you have a great season and good game man. Just mad with my teams performance

Surprisingly big win for Boca tonight against Duluth. 84-69.

FR Brice Truong had a solid start with 9 pts, 10 boards which was exactly what we needed from him. Overall Boca out rebounded Duluth 44-27. Ernest Morin and Erin Atkins had a shooting fest against one another with Atkins edging Morin 26-24. For Atkins this was his second highest scoring game of his career and I hope he has a breakout season as a SO.

Poisson and Hutchings both contributed 14.

Good luck with the rest of the Season PH.

Not surprising for me. I went with the CPU lineup and tried a few players at different positions. Interestingly the CPU put Sr PG Eric Wright at NA despite being a +6/-1 Sr. If this game is any indication, he will be my starter. I'm 1 of 4 on max PGs in the last two cycles. Monroe Brim looks like a solid backup for now. He had 5 assists as a starter. I'm just going to have to go back to not expecting any points from the PG position. bPG FR Anthony Swain didn't do much either.

FR Arthur Vanmeter had a solid start at PF with 9 and 5 but he fouled out. I'll have to see how good his Good Def and Exc Ath are before deciding to play him ahead of SO Warren Donnelly at PF. I'll also see what he does at SF to see if he can back up SO stud Konrad Garrett or replace him at SF.

Who do you guys think is the best PG in this class? I'm curious because I'd like to scrimmage Jake Evans against the top defensive and scoring PGs. He shut down Brent Floyd in 10 head to head allowing only 11 and 10 in 2 of the matchups, everything else was single digits while Jake scored over 20 4 of 10 and double digits in all but 2 matches. More importantly he had only 1 topg and that is mostly due to a couple of bad games.

I picked Floyd due to his Good + Def and Exc - Ath. He scored 26 in his debut league game last night as well but I'm not convinced he is an elite scorer.

Oh, if anyone is looking at SG Kelly Barton let me know and i can get you 10 games worth of stats. I paired him with Evans to see what Evans could do with a solid SG beside him. Barton doesn't match up with me pref wise though. Kid is a monster scorer, wish he didn't have E local in region 22.

He had 11, 18, 18,16, 27,24,35,20,31, and 25

Dearborn - 98
Akron - 70

well, the DeACCon tournament started on an interesting note yesterday as we beat Akron by 28. i got a great game out of FR James and JR Clanton who both went 7-10 in the victory. Travers was also solid in the post with 15/7. it looks like i need to tinker a little with the lineup but i think the ingredients are there for a successful season.

good luck the rest of the way!

Lost a killer to Cinci by 1 point after missing two chances in the last minute to win. Had 10 turnovers, but that isn't terrible considering the new line up. Still tinkering around a bit with things, as I'm always getting out rebounded. Whistler had a nice debut with 14 and 6 at the SF position, though. He's going to be a great addition.

I got lucky. No chance I hang with you normally. I am starting a +2 PG, a +2 SG, a +3 SG, a +2 PF and a +2/-2 C. Are you running a slow down and shoot less strategy? You only took 49 shots the whole game.

I finally looked at my incoming class :rulz:

6'1" PG PFFFGF
6'7" SF FPPPFF
6'8" PF NFPGFF

Wow, that is atrocious - the worst part is I have no room for error in recruiting moving forward. The PG is playing as my back up, he might be serviceable, I am sticking him at 1/1 shooting and just hoping he doesn't make mistakes.

Back