• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Orange Bowl thread: Clemson vs. West Virginia - 8:30 p.m. ESPN

Really Clemson? 70 fucking points...

"has really improved the face of Clemson football". Good work Tirico.

The ACC really needs to have their BCS slot reconsidered. 2-13 in BCS games.

That has to be the most embarrassing bowl loss in league history.

WV wasn't some top 5 juggernaut. They were barely ranked.

The ACC really needs to have their BCS slot reconsidered. 2-13 in BCS games.
Maybe this will hasten further expansion, as they seek desperately to find a respectable addition. Pitt and Cuse must be thinking either "uh-oh" or "sweet."

To me it was worth it to have the ACC embarrassed in order to have Clemson embarrassed, after this year's unfair game and previous years' history with them. Their fanbase is so fragile. They finally get their title and whenever they bring it up, they'll always have "70-33" in the back of their minds.

Maybe this will hasten further expansion, as they seek desperately to find a respectable addition. Pitt and Cuse must be thinking either "uh-oh" or "sweet."

To me it was worth it to have the ACC embarrassed in order to have Clemson embarrassed, after this year's unfair game and previous years' history with them. Their fanbase is so fragile. They finally get their title and whenever they bring it up, they'll always have "70-33" in the back of their minds.

LOL truth.

Yes, LOL at Swofford for giving them the Orange Bowl. How many teams got screwed, and for this?

Don't know if it was mentioned on this thread but karma fucked Clemson. 82-24, Clemson-Wake, 1981.

Man that was an EPIC beatdown of Clemmons last night!

I wonder if dabo thinks Clemson is really THE university of SC after this.

The ACC is just an embarrassing league altogether. Next time somebody considers an ACC conference schedule to be the "toughest schedule" in anybody's history, think about this game.

I will repeat what I said at the beginning of the season. By virtue of being an ACC team and playing a OOC that features similar teams to Wake, we should have a floor of 5 wins a season. This conference stinks. Cuse and Pitt will only dilute it more. If ND and UConn/Rutgers join, then we're taking two conferences and an independent who are barely worth BCS bowl ties and giving them at least one BCS team.

Herbstreit quote before the game...

"Clemson wil not only beat West Virginia, they will destroy them."

Someone like Deadspin needs to go back and compile the Top 10 worst ESPN pre-game predictions.

oj2_medium.gif

The ACC is just an embarrassing league altogether. Next time somebody considers an ACC conference schedule to be the "toughest schedule" in anybody's history, think about this game.

thumb.aspx

Yes, LOL at Swofford for giving them the Orange Bowl. How many teams got screwed, and for this?

It's Virginia Tech you should be bitching about. Even though Clemson got pounded they earned their way in by winning the ACC. You could argue whether the ACC deserves that auto bid based on Clemson's performance though.

It's Virginia Tech you should be bitching about. Even though Clemson got pounded they earned their way in by winning the ACC. You could argue whether the ACC deserves that auto bid based on Clemson's performance though.

I think the point is that Clemson never should have been in the ACC Championship game.

The last time WV scored that much was at the family reunion!

[Iowa Offinsive Coordinator] Ken O'Keefe Decries West Virginia Performance In Orange Bowl As 'Unseemly, Grotesque'

Wow. Just wow.

IOWA CITY, IA (AP) -- Iowa offensive coordinator Ken O'Keefe slammed West Virginia's 70-33 win over Clemson in the 2012 Discover Orange Bowl as "a grotesque display of offensive firepower." O'Keefe, who has coached the Iowa offense for the past twelve seasons, said he was shocked and dismayed by what West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen's Mountaineer offense did in Wednesday night's bowl game. "It was downright unseemly is what it was. My weekly cribbage game with mother had run a little late, so I missed most of the first quarter of the game. Let me tell you, I was not prepared for it to be 14-14! Oh my stars and garters! And then that second quarter... goodness gracious, that was uncomfortable to watch. Thirty-five points?! In one quarter?! Just dreadful. I haven't been that uncomfortable since Lester [Erb, Iowa running backs coach] slipped The Human Centipede (First Sequence) into the film room."

O'Keefe said he felt a close affinity to the Orange Bowl, having been there twice in the last decade with Iowa, first in 2003 when the Hawkeyes played USC and again in 2010 when the Hawkeyes played Georgia Tech. "I feel a kinship with the Orange Bowl, it's true. We're both a little tart and leathery on the outside but sweet and soft on the inside! So it pained me to the see West Virginia put up such a disgraceful display of offensive profligacy on the old gal last night. When I took Iowa to the Orange Bowl, I was careful to treat her with respect and common decency. 17 points against USC, 24 against Georgia Tech... why that was tasteful. Downright proper. But 70 points? Heavenly days, that's like three or four whole games worth of points. And to use them all in one game? It makes me cringe just thinking about it."

O'Keefe thought it was particularly cruel for West Virginia to run up the score so mercilessly on an ACC team. "It was just mean to do that to an ACC team. I mean, everyone knows they only play football because they have to. They're a roundball league through and through. They're always hopelessly overmatched in these prestigious BCS bowls. Did you know what their record is in these things? 2-13! And one of those wins was over Cincinnati, for God's sake, so I'm not even sure it really counts. When we played an ACC team [Georgia Tech] a few years ago, we could have dominated and embarrassed them, too. My good buddy Norm [Parker, former Iowa defensive coordinator] had their gimmicky triple-option offense locked up tighter than a drum and I had the offense humming along so well we were up 14-0 before they even knew what hit 'em. Could I have poured it on? Absolutely. But it wasn't the gentlemanly thing to do. So I had Ricky [Stanzi, former Iowa quarterback] throw them a pick-six and we pumped the brakes on the whole she-bang. We got ourselves a nice, respectful little 24-14 win in the end."

Despite the points hemorrhaged by the defenses last night, Ken O'Keefe thinks the Orange Bowl will recover just fine. "It's a tough old bowl. It'll be okay. I think I heard West Virginia is heading off to the Big XII next year, right? That's a good place for them. They'll fit right in with the rest of those high-scoring reprobates. Don't even get me started on what Baylor did to the good old Alamo Bowl. Ol' Kenny has a thing or two he'd like to tell that Art Briles [Baylor head coach] and Robert Griffin [III, Baylor's Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback]. Doesn't he know someone with that much raw athletic talent should be playing wide receiver? Or maybe linebacker. These Big XII teams are just downright silly! Anyway, with West Virginia gone the Big East can get back to sending teams like Rutgers or Louisville there to play an ACC team. I bet we'll see some nice 17-14 scores when that happens, and that will be just fine and dandy."

Is that a joke? That O'Keefe guy is hilarious. Although sad and depressing reading him blast Clemson, it felt good to laugh at others again (his description of the BCS game against GT)

I looked for an indication that it was some sort of satirical thing, but it appears to be legit.

ETA: Comments at the bottom are indicating it's fake.

Last edited:
Back