• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Oscar Thread

Some of this name calling is extremely ironic, or is that accurate?

Oh, I just don't know.

Please provide an example where I belittled someone's opinion.

Silver Linings Playbook was a tasteless, garbled rom-com with no laughs, trying to wring pathos from cartoonish, incoherent depictions of anxiety, grief, and mental illness. I just completely missed anything that made it a good movie. The critical reaction to it baffles me. .

You seem very pissed that I didn't like it. The movie is empty. It has nothing of substance to say. It's incredibly simple. Which makes sense, it was based on a children's book. But don't pretend like it's some profound work of art..

A simple (and rather stupid) message, built up as something profound.

Okay, you have completely misread my entire argument, and are putting words in my mouth.

Okay, you have completely misread my entire argument, and are putting words in my mouth. Where did I ever say I chose to believe in the story without animals? Where did I ever say I chose either story! And what the author said that I have in quotes, that's exactly what I said about storytelling being a metaphor for faith. Believe me, I fucking get this simplistic fable's message. You can choose to believe in what you want, and a life with imagination is better than one without it. That message was delivered 1,000% better in another adaptation of a children's book, "Where the Wild Things Are," and they did it with out all the preaching and air of pretention.

That's a good post. It's about time you actually posted what you thought the movie was about. I still think you're off-base in your understanding that the film/book uses story telling as a metaphor for faith, and that's why I believed you had interpreted the 2nd story as truth, with the main plot as "storytelling", because describing the telling of the 2nd story as faith, doesn't make sense. The story telling is simply documentation of events; It's the belief or interpretation of the events that represents faith, and this story does give you a literal choice of faith, after the fact, for better or worse. The alternative of introducing doubt during the story itself would completely undermine Pi's integrity as narrator. A recent movie that used a similar plot device is Shutter Island, which presented Teddy Daniels story as reality until it started unraveling at the end. In that film, like this one, the alternative choice presented to you at the end simply gives you the opportunity to view an already enjoyable story from another angle.

As for the religious aspects you seem to have such a problem with, Pi is captivated by religion and the idea of God. Pi is the only speaking actor for most of the film, and he's dealing with great tragedy and trial introspectively, so it's completely reasonable and natural that he would God with the fantastic.

Last edited:
I think we can all agree both movies just needed more boob shots

especially from you know who

tumblr_mir61wlbJL1qbnazvo1_500.gif

You seem to be confusing someone's opinion with the actual film. In all of those posts I'm calling the film stupid, or useless, or whatever. I'm not belittling another poster. If a poster likes a movie that I consider bad, that doesn't mean I view their opinion as wrong. As long as they can provide evidence for why they feel that way, (such as mDmh has done here) then I have absolutely no problem with it.

This is the Oscars thread. Not the let me try to sound superior to everyone thread. There's already one of those. Neg rep.

I like you district but when people say stuff like this, it typically speaks to an insecurity on their part more so than a superiority thing.

I actually disagree with Fanatic w.r.t. Silver Linings, but I don't find his take to be stuffy or superior just because it uses good rhetorical devices.

I like you district but when people say stuff like this, it typically speaks to an insecurity on their part more so than a superiority thing.

I actually disagree with Fanatic w.r.t. Silver Linings, but I don't find his take to be stuffy or superior just because it uses good rhetorical devices.

Fanatic actually had a reasonable argument for why he didn't like SLP, and I was satisfied once he described his point about Life of Pi.

Back