• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

Also, let me sound off on how ridiculous it is that Crean's seat is anything but ice cold.

That program was a complete disaster when he took over and then he took them to back to back Sweet 16s.

Also, let me sound off on how ridiculous it is that Crean's seat is anything but ice cold.

That program was a complete disaster when he took over and then he took them to back to back Sweet 16s.

You assume that IU basketball fans are rational.

Lonergan wanted his first "real job" at 30. He got it at 38. Now he's winning at his hometown one at 48.

"And I feel like I'm 58," he said with a smile.
This quote, combined with one the other day about how he'd like to be an AD, gives the impression he's a bit tired of coaching. But he's definitely got a good looking resume.

the amount of movement on O for LaTech is refreshing. haven't seen that in a while.

Stuff like this Crean rumor pops up, and it makes you wonder whether Wellman hears about it too. You'd assume so, but I don't have a good sense of how plugged in Wellman is when it comes to that kind of thing.

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 8m
Wake fans aren’t aiming higher than Michael White? RT @BloggerSoDear: @DanWolken [Redacted]'s replacement

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 38s
Already said - Rick Barnes RT @donneb4: @DanWolken if you're wake, who do you go after (other than Shaka and Marshall)?

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 42s
@MBJohnston12 @donneb4 Barnes is from North Carolina. New AD at Texas; his situation is still semi-hot seat-ish. Just saying I’d ask.

I actually kinda like it. Barnes' recruiting at UT:

2015: Nothing
2014: NR JC, 3*
2013: four 3*'s

2012 and earlier were good classes, but what's happening here? Losing his passion?

I wouldn't be surprised to hear he's one of the big time mystery names. TITS mentioned he's old, but I can definitely see RW going after Barnes before a 37 year old (who's not going to back-to-back final 4's).

Last edited:
Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 8m
Wake fans aren’t aiming higher than Michael White? RT @BloggerSoDear: @DanWolken [Redacted]'s replacement

No Dan, Wake fans are shooting higher than Michael White, however our AD is not. Now that we know that, we are looking at that next tier, and we're finding that White may be the best of that next tier down.

I think using Wellman logic, Bz was higher than Marshall and Shaka because he was coaching at Colorado in a high major conference. I wouldn't be shocked if he hired a high major also-ran again.

It is completely ridiculous to suggest that Jamie Dixon is on any kind of hot seat at Pitt.

Barnes is a safer candidate, but I don't believe for a second he would elevate us to unseen heights. I don't really believe he'd get us back to where Odom, Skip, and even Dino had us at one point or another.

I wouldn't be upset with Barnes, but he isn't a high upside guy.

Wouldn't surprise me if Wellman goes that route and as far as old retread coaches go, he'd be one of the better ones. I think I'd rather have him than Howland, for example.

You assume that IU basketball fans are rational.

Tom Crean has not been a good coach at IU. He has recruited really well, but as far as being a good game coach, not so much. I know many IU fans and they are quite educated hoop fans. Certainly not lunatics and they are getting tired of Crean's underperforming. Similar to the national fans reaction to Dino being fires after 61-31 but total failures in postseason.

Back