• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

Tom Crean has not been a good coach at IU. He has recruited really well, but as far as being a good game coach, not so much. I know many IU fans and they are quite educated hoop fans. Certainly not lunatics and they are getting tired of Crean's underperforming. Similar to the national fans reaction to Dino being fires after 61-31 but total failures in postseason.

Apt comparison actually. And, I think by now we have fairly conclusive proof that we did the wrong thing. Let the guy fail before you fire him. Hard to say he's failed at this point.

Agree he's no great tactician, but he's recruited very well and seems to have also done a solid job of developing players. He isn't the complete package, but he's much closer to being the complete package than Mike Woodson is.

I have to think the Crean stuff is a pipe dream. Insane fans =/= insane university administration.

Tom Crean has not been a good coach at IU. He has recruited really well, but as far as being a good game coach, not so much. I know many IU fans and they are quite educated hoop fans. Certainly not lunatics and they are getting tired of Crean's underperforming. Similar to the national fans reaction to Dino being fires after 61-31 but total failures in postseason.

Do they remember what the program looked like in 08-09? We flat out embarrassed them. That team looked like. Low level high school squad. I get that the Zeller/Oladipo squad underachieved in the tourney but he has consecutive Sweet 16s, a regular season Big 10 title and had his team ranked #1 for ten weeks plus virtually the entire season in the top 5. That's an absolutely massive turnaround from the dumpster fire of a program he took over.

Absolutely this. I hope that happens, actually because Jamie Dixon is a great coach and recruiter.

When did he become better than Howland? He took over for BH when Pitt was at its high point. Besides age, not sure what he brings to table that Ben doesn't.

To add to that, Crean's first team at IU went an unthinkable 6-25 (1-17 in conference) during the 08-09 season and he was 27-9 in 11-12 and 29-7 in 12-13 with Sweet 16 appearances in both.

If there is any chance of getting Tom Crean (again, I highly doubt it's possible), Wellman needs to be on it like the stanky on EatLeadCommie's hangdown.

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 38s
Already said - Rick Barnes RT @donneb4: @DanWolken if you're wake, who do you go after (other than Shaka and Marshall)?

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 42s
@MBJohnston12 @donneb4 Barnes is from North Carolina. New AD at Texas; his situation is still semi-hot seat-ish. Just saying I’d ask.

I actually kinda like it. Barnes' recruiting at UT:

2015: Nothing
2014: NR JC, 3*
2013: four 3*'s

2012 and earlier were good classes, but what's happening here? Losing his passion?

I wouldn't be surprised to hear he's one of the big time mystery names. TITS mentioned he's old, but I can definitely see RW going after Barnes before a 37 year old (who's not going to back-to-back final 4's).

UT has announced that Barnes will be back next season. Last year was our best window of opportunity to poach him but he has turned things around this season with a young team. Personally, I was hoping we would have tried to get him after last season. Always liked him at Clemson and for the way he stood up to Dean Smith, etc.

When did he become better than Howland? He took over for BH when Pitt was at its high point. Besides age, not sure what he brings to table that Ben doesn't.

In 10 complete seasons, Dixon won less than 25 games 3 times. Never less than 20. In his last 4 years at UCLA, Howland won less than 25 games 3 times. Less than 20 twice. All while the Pac 10/12 was historically awful (for example: 2011-2012 regular season champs Washington played in the NIT), and the Big East, well, wasn't. And, of course, UCLA is one of the historically great programs while Pitt was pretty mediocre throughout its history before Howland.

Michael White is a better candidate than Rick Barnes.

This. Barnes will turn 60 over the summer and has won the same number of NCAAT games as Wake since 2010 (inclusive). Pass.

He became better than Howland when he led his team to Pomeroy finishes of 25, 3, 68, 11, and 18 since 2010, while Howland was finishing 120, 53, 55, and 45 at a superior program.

Dixon is one of the best coaches in the nation. Do want.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 4m
Louisiana Tech-Tulsa title game is entertaining. Would be surprised if both Danny Manning and Mike White still coaching schools next year.

I do wonder if Miller and White missing the NCAAT would make Masiello and Manning more realistic with Wellman. It seems unlikely that he'd hire someone without NCAAT experience.

LA Tech is around 30 points shy of their conference PPG, and that's despite shooting 50% from deep. Long stretches of nothing on offense.

I do wonder if Miller and White missing the NCAAT would make Masiello and Manning more realistic with Wellman. It seems unlikely that he'd hire someone without NCAAT experience.

Definitely. Hell I'd be very critical of Wellman hiring any head coach who's team doesn't make the NCAAT this year.

That statement obviously wouldn't apply to Howland.

Back