• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

Gotta say that I'm excited about this result. I've been a closet #WhiteOut guy from the beginning.

Mike White and I have coached in the same amount of NCAAT games. He's been a coach for 15 years.

The CUSA assistant commish is on the committee so something weird could still happen.

Tend to think So Miss still has a better shot than La Tech though

Why would 1 bad half of basketball totally negate what he's done there the last few years? That's shortsighted. I still like White better than Miller, Howland, Amaker, Masiello....

I think the reason it would be a problem is that Wellman really needs to sell this hire to the fan base and it is a tougher sell to make to more casual fans without an NCAA Tournament appearance.

I've never quite understood the extent of the White hype myself. I like the guy, and I'd be excited if he were named coach, but I don't get what makes him a better candidate than the rest of the guys in his tier. For all of his supposed recruiting prowess, Ole Miss didn't have a bunch of can't miss guys, and those teams were never great, anyway. I think Masiello (and Miller and Manning) have much higher recruiting ceilings, and all 3 of them have NCAAT coaching experience, even before this tournament.

Tulsa's about the same size as Wake, too. About 4000 undergrads.

That's right. Only Tulsa and Rice are smaller D1 schools. Forgot that factoid from my WFU campus tour.

Danny Manning in.

My problem with them is that they did really poorly out of conference. They played a pretty tough schedule (Creighton, Wichita State, Oklahoma, Maryland), but also lost some bad ones (Missouri State, Oral Roberts, TCU x 2). His premiere win over two seasons are vs USM, vs UTEP, and @ SMU (last yr). Just hard to get too excited about that, wish we had another year on him.

That's right. Only Tulsa and Rice are smaller D1 schools. Forgot that factoid from my WFU campus tour.

Danny Manning in.

My problem with them is that they did really poorly out of conference. They played a pretty tough schedule (Creighton, Wichita State, Oklahoma, Maryland), but also lost some bad ones (Missouri State, Oral Roberts, TCU x 2). His premiere win over two seasons are vs USM, vs UTEP, and @ SMU (last yr). Just hard to get too excited about that, wish we had another year on him.

They touched on this in the first half today; the team took some time to gel (having 80% of your production coming from sophomores could do that, I guess), but they're on a roll now.

It's cherry picking, but:

Jesse Newell ‏@jessenewell 17m
Just looked: Danny Manning's Tulsa team (36th) is better in adjusted defensive efficiency than KU (44th). #KUbball

This is exactly what we saw today. LA Tech is CUSA's best offensive team, and they were WAY below their usual numbers. After the Bulldogs shot 7/10 from 3 in the first half in spite of good Tulsa defense, that defense finally caught up with the Bulldogs in the second half.

Last edited:
Just learned to completely ignore any poster with comments suggesting Dixon hot seat, Tubbie Smith, Jay Wright or anyone that "knows a few guys who would have knowledge". Just stop.

I also really liked how many of Tulsa's points came from inside the paint. They played a really physical, inside-out game on the offensive end, a lot like what we saw from Manhattan last week in the MAAC CG.

Why would 1 bad half of basketball totally negate what he's done there the last few years? That's shortsighted. I still like White better than Miller, Howland, Amaker, Masiello....

I didn't think a White was at the top of Wellman's list in the first place. In order to move to the top, he needed to not only make the tournament but win a couple of games. That can't happen now.

They touched on this in the first half today; the team took some time to gel (having 80% of your production coming from sophomores could do that, I guess), but they're on a roll now.

It's cherry picking, but:

Jesse Newell ‏@jessenewell 17m
Just looked: Danny Manning's Tulsa team (36th) is better in adjusted defensive efficiency than KU (44th). #KUbball

This is exactly we saw this today. LA Tech is CUSA's best offensive team, and they were WAY below their usual numbers. After the Bulldogs shot 7/10 from 3 in the first half in spite of good Tulsa defense, that defense finally caught up with the Bulldogs in the second half.

That's fair, I would just want our next coach to have coached more than half a season of good basketball for me to get really excited.

But he has a great pedigree (love the idea of hiring a Self disciple), and I am sure could put together an elite staff if given the budget.

I also really liked how many of Tulsa's points came from inside the paint. They played a really physical, inside-out game on the offensive end, a lot like what we saw from Manhattan last week in the MAAC CG.

Sneaky the way you try to insert Masiello into a conversation that don't involve him.

Our Next BB Coach or Mike White et al.

The best part of this thread is the subtle (sometimes) efforts to promote a certain guy. RSF, APetit, etc have def gotten me to watch a lot of random games to see White, Masiello, etc. also interesting how a lot of these names weren't mentioned before this season, seems like Reed and Paulson came up much more a few months ago.

Last edited:
He became better than Howland when he led his team to Pomeroy finishes of 25, 3, 68, 11, and 18 since 2010, while Howland was finishing 120, 53, 55, and 45 at a superior program.

Yeah very impressive, but I see 2nd rnd loss, 2nd rnd loss, CBI, 1st rnd loss, & we'll see but doubt they win twice.

Tulsa's about the same size as Wake, too. About 4000 undergrads.
I had no idea. Their total enrollment is smaller than WFU's undergrad enrollment, their endowment is bigger than ours (excluding our med school endowment), their tuition is $10,000 per year less than ours, and their basketball team is going to the big dance. Maybe we should poach their President and AD in addition to Manning.

I had no idea. Their total enrollment is smaller than WFU's undergrad enrollment, their endowment is bigger than ours (excluding our med school endowment), their tuition is $10,000 per year less than ours, and their basketball team is going to the big dance. Maybe we should poach their President and AD in addition to Manning.

Wake's endowment is 25% larger ($800M vs $1060M). Wake is also 60 spots higher in the rankings.

I think Danny Manning is an intriguing candidate.

Local ties.
Great basketball lineage.
Done really well in his profession so far.

Back