• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

Do you mean brand name "large" or size-wise? VCU and UCLA both have 20,000+ students, which I guess would be considered large.

VCU is mostly a commuter school. About 22% of students actually live on campus. It's not remotely like a IL, MN, State or UCLA where most of the students aren't from the area.

If any really large school has a small school feel. it would be UCLA. It's very isolated from the rest of LA. It really does feel like a village. It's got the best of both worlds.

Your posts were dripping with condescension and you know it. If you act like a douche, you get treated like one.

If you simply disagree, you get treated with respect.

You chose to be arrogant and condescending. Don't cry if you are treated the way you have been.

lol okay rj. I was being a douche for using sarcasm because I don't think Shaka Smart is gonna coach at Wake. Arrogant ignorance!

As far as schools go, VCU might be the polar opposite of Wake.

VCU is actually a hyperbolic chamber for UF in case Billy Donovan goes rogue or has a crazy NBA idea or something

i think Grant was getting on the airplane when Billy changed his mind and went back to UF

BillyD has no reason to go pro. Plus after his last debacle, he'll only be offered a second tier job.

shaka also turned illinois if i recall correctly

Not that rj would know, but VCU is a lot less of a commuter school than it once was. Plus, statistics on that are somewhat misleading because the campus is very integrated into the surrounding neighborhoods, and those houses and apartments are full of students, so while technically "off campus housing," you're talking about a matter of blocks. There isn't the feel of a typical commuter school where students aren't integrated into campus life.

Back to the topic before this thread became all about rj... I'm very interested in what Prohm does at Murray. Murray 'a been good for a good long time, but he has a rebuild ahead of him. If he wins that league, I'm sold.

I know people pooh pooh it, but I would go balls to the walls for Shaka. Clearly he's not looking for a big state university (yes there a lot of students at VCU, but it's not the same as State, IL, MN or a similar school. It's a commuter school). The ACC will be the #1 conference for decades.

VCU is in a bad conference. It's different now than it was last year.

Shaka isn't like Stevens. His style would not work in the NBA.

Shaka and Few are friends. Shaka could stay at Wake for the rest of his career and be a legend like Few is at Gonzaga.

All those guys on the list will be there after we take our shot. If we don't take a shot, we are being LOWF. You can't win if you don't try.

Start the bidding at $32.5M/ten years and go up to $35-40M. We can definitely afford it.

I would love Shaka to come to Wake but I just don't see the upside for him. He is making roughly $2.8M at VCU with no pressure. He has Grobe's job. Why would he ever leave?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

the most excitement i've had thinking about wake basketball the last two years is thinking about who will be the next coach. thanks ron.

I would love Shaka to come to Wake but I just don't see the upside for him. He is making roughly $2.8M at VCU with no pressure. He has Grobe's job. Why would he ever leave?

To make anything close to $2.8M, he'd have to the NCAA championship, be on TV bunches of times that aren't in conference as well as beat basically everyone in the ACC.

He'll need a really good year to get to $2M.

If we start at $3.25M and are willing to go, he could listen. It's no guarantee, but we have to take the shot.

To make anything close to $2.8M, he'd have to the NCAA championship, be on TV bunches of times that aren't in conference as well as beat basically everyone in the ACC.

He'll need a really good year to get to $2M.

If we start at $3.25M and are willing to go, he could listen. It's no guarantee, but we have to take the shot.

I absolutely agree you take the shot. Doesn't hurt to take a run at him.

The buyout for Shaka would be astronomical. No way we drop the kind of money it would take for the buyout and the contract. Other names?

Back