• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

appetit and others were on Brad Stevens before he went to a final four and half the board poo-pooed it. The best way to get Brad Stevens or Shaka is to get him before he becomes brad stevens or Shaka.

I like yalls approach to the coaching problem: Who is the best most desired coach out there? Offer him all of the moneys!

This.

I get it, RJ. You want Shaka and think we can get him. If not Shaka, though, then who is your top-10? And why?

That's a much more difficult question to answer because these smaller school and mid major coaches are really the best possibilities. Of that top-10, one of of those guys will have a Shaka-esque run in the NCAA. Who will it be?

apetit is the only search committee i trust

apetit - who's your guy now?!

This.

I get it, RJ. You want Shaka and think we can get him. If not Shaka, though, then who is your top-10? And why?

That's a much more difficult question to answer because these smaller school and mid major coaches are really the best possibilities. Of that top-10, one of of those guys will have a Shaka-esque run in the NCAA. Who will it be?

Whoever he is, Ron Wellman needs to identify him before his NCAA run. And we all know how well that worked out last time.

Whoever he is, Ron Wellman needs to identify him before his NCAA run. And we all know how well that worked out last time.

Alot of us had targeted Groce or Marshall previously- and we were right!:D

Not sure if his name has been mentioned, but I think Boise State's Leon Rice should be taken into consideration.

He has been their head coach for three seasons, and made the NCAA Tournament as an at-large team last season. According to KenPom (laugh if you want), they are currently 41st and projected to go 21-8 (12-6) in conference.

Prior to taking over Boise St., he was an assistant under Mark Few at Gonzaga from 1998-2010.

I really like Rice, too. He's done a good job with player development throughout his time there and, considering Boise's basketball recruiting predicament, he's been sold in that area, too.

Greg McDermott, Creighton, might be much more interested in another job after this season. His son, and two-time conference player of the year graduates spring of 2014. McDermott has done a pretty good job at Creighton. Question is, how much of that is attributable to his son being a stud, and how much is it recruiting and coaching the rest of the team?

Also from the list of midmajors who have done well lately, Scott Eades (Robert Morris, 7 yrs); Steve Prohm (Murray State, 3 years) and Bob Senderoff (Kent State, 3 yrs) are probably in the right range for new challenges.

I'd also gladly take Fran McCaffery from Iowa. Do we think there's any chance Josh Pastner would leave Memphis to come to Wake?

Greg McDermott, Creighton, might be much more interested in another job after this season. His son, and two-time conference player of the year graduates spring of 2014. McDermott has done a pretty good job at Creighton. Question is, how much of that is attributable to his son being a stud, and how much is it recruiting and coaching the rest of the team?

Also from the list of midmajors who have done well lately, Scott Eades (Robert Morris, 7 yrs); Steve Prohm (Murray State, 3 years) and Bob Senderoff (Kent State, 3 yrs) are probably in the right range for new challenges.

mcdermott is a midwest guy. if he goes anywhere, it will be to a big ten school.

Coaches without Jobs
-Ben Howland
-Tubby Smith
-Bruce Pearl

Coaches Currently Under Contract
-Buzz Williams
-Shaka Smart
-Scott Drew
-Fran McCaffery

Mid-Major Coaches
-Leon Rice
-Andy Toole
-Steve Prohm
-Greg McDermott
-Tim Cluess

I am not saying these guys are likely or even favorable. I am just saying this is a list of guys I think should be considered even if it may be a long shot.

Last edited:
Mike white has Louisiana tech #63 in kenpom. BIG GAME for my boy taking on Oklahoma on the road tonight.

Coaches without Jobs
-Ben Howland
-Tubby Smith
-Bruce Pearl

Coaches Currently Under Contract
-Buzz Williams
-Shaka Smart
-Scott Drew
-Fran McCaffery

Mid-Major Coaches
-Leon Rice
-Andy Toole
-Steve Prohm
-Greg McDermott
-Tim Cluess

I am not saying these guys are likely or even favorable. I am just saying this is a list of guys I think should be considered even if it may be a long shot.

Hoopla batsignal.

#BringBackTheSwagger

Fran spent all those years at UNC-G, maybe he likes the Triad.

Fran has a $1.5M buyout.

ETA: I think Fran would be a great hire and is the type of hire Ron thought he was getting with Buzz. Clearly Ron was very very very incorrect about that.

Last edited:
Also, he is 55 and spent 11 years at ND as an assistant after HC at Lehigh at age 26. He took over at UNC-G then a great run at Siena. He started at Iowa when Bz started at Wake. Fran's record at Iowa is far better.

Last edited:
Back