• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

Lonergan would be one hell of a hire. And he has small, private school experience. He faces off with Shaka tonight at 7. Should be a fantastic game if you love college hoops. I'll be watching.

I second that, will be flipping through this game tonight.

If you're planning on missing work tomorrow due to the snow, there are a few games to watch while slamming beers. Rankings are Kenpom.

#130 URI @ #55 Dayton (-11) - 7pm - Pretty much a must-win game for the Flyers
#36 GW @ #28 VCU (-7) - 7pm
#48 New Mexico @ #67 Boise St (-2.5) - 9:15pm - Big game out West for Leon Rice

I think I would take Lonergan as favorite to be the next coach over any other singular candidate. I think Wellman will like the fact he has been a head coach for a 9 years and has coached at a private school.

That said, it might still only be 10% likely because there are so many candidates out there.

Wake20 pls change your title to Boner for Lonergan

I don't know if these names have been suggested, but here are some lower level guys that have impressed me.

Dr. John Giannini (Lasalle)
Chris Mooney (Richmond)
Steve Pikiell (Stony Brook)

Little outside the box
Pat Chambers (Penn State) - Winning at PSU is next impossible. I think he's actually a good coach in a bad situation.

No as to Mooney. I don't think he'd be able to recruit well enough with his Princeton style to stay competitive in the ACC. And I'd say no to Giannini too. He's been fair to middling for the most part at Lasalle. Neither of those guys can match White or Lonergan. Have no idea about Pikiell or Chambers - haven't seen Penn St or Stony Brook in years.

Keeping Shaka and Ben out. I would go Lonergan then Miller, in that order. I like Archie a little more just wish he didn't play for state.

If you're planning on missing work tomorrow due to the snow, there are a few games to watch while slamming beers. Rankings are Kenpom.

#130 URI @ #55 Dayton (-11) - 7pm - Pretty much a must-win game for the Flyers
#36 GW @ #28 VCU (-7) - 7pm
#48 New Mexico @ #67 Boise St (-2.5) - 9:15pm - Big game out West for Leon Rice

GW vs. VCU game on NBC Sports Network.

New Mexico/Boise game on CBS Sports Network.

Not my thread, and I bet IAppreciateIt isn't ready to give up the Michael White hope.

The only things that concern me regarding Lonergan are:

(1) He's winning with two High D1 transfers (Creek from IU and Armwood from Villanova) and two foreign players. Creek is their best player, and Armwood is their best big. Larsen is from Denmark and Garino is from Argentina. Both played some HS ball in the States, but neither were even evaluated by Scout. I will say he picked up two really good players from the DC area who BCS schools didn't want, Kethan Savage (who was a better player than Moto for that Episcopal team IMO) and Joe McDonald (I watched him in HS and thought he was really, really good, but I guess schools thought he wasn't).

(2) It will be hard to convince him to leave DC. He's from the area, knows he's in a recruiting hot bed, and plays in a good enough conference that he won't miss the NCAAs due to the mid-major label. He has a million kids, too, I think.

Shaka - is he becoming disillusioned and ready to move? We have to ask.

Marshall - If I were he, I'd see if I could get $3M from Wichita and retire there. But we should ask and see if he wants to come home. REALLY long shot. I would never leave there if I am in his shoes.

Archie- has the grit and personality....is young....would take the job.

White- his style is what we need. Will he like to work with out admissions people?

No. Donks.

I feel like this is the biggest thing. If we had used this rule last time would this guy ever have even been in the conversation?

JEFFBZDELIK150_0630.JPG

Now which of these two is donkier?

mike-lonergan.jpg

8677493.jpeg

I'm not totally sold on Archie Miller because he hasn't done anything great at Dayton and he's Archie Miller, BUT he does have a hot wife which puts him pretty high on the list:

slideshow_1002130262_ddn040411spudbb104.jpg

Rice is a good coach but I don't think he's ever lived a day east of the Rockies.

I have the same worry about Lonergan that 20 has: IIRC, he's from DC, played ball in DC, and now coaches and lives in DC. His wife is also from DC and it looks like they have 5 young children.

If you divided coaches into two piles: Non-donk + Hot wife and Other, I guarantee you that you'd do better with the first pile.

Back