• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our next BIG GAME against High Point

WE ARE GOING TO WAX THAT SCHOOL AND THEN FACE KICK THEM WITH OUR ENDOWMENT WHILE WE RAPE THEIR HORSES AND RIDE OUT ON THEIR WOMEN!!!

The next rung up is ASU, UNC-W then Elon and NC State. They have moved up from 1000 to 1100 in like 5 years while growing their class size and building a wonderful campus. They also do a great job with their students. Not many schools could have this in a down economy. Give them some credit, it makes a Wake look petty.

how insecure do you have to be about your education and Wake's size to try and run down freaking High Point? You're Wake for God's sake. You're a better school and nothing is going to change that for the foreseeable future.

Ordinarily growing that quickly involves fairly lax admissions standards. Not trying to be a dick...just my perspective.

your perspective on that might 'ordinarily' be right... but not in this case (and since you were 'not trying to be a dick', I thought I'd pitch in).

Here's a 2006 report (using 2004 #'s) from USA Today that shows HPU with a 76.6% acceptance rate. 1914 applied : 1467 accepted.

Unless there's data I'm missing, to find the comparable #'s for 2011... you have to disseminate a bit (I'm using USNWR stats for Fall 2010 Applicants & the HPU 2011 Freshman Class Profile); but HPU took 7157 applications and likely accepted ~4,867 of them (with 1296 choosing to attend). A 68% acceptance rate.

I know quantity doesn't assume quality; but the student profile improving based upon indicators like SAT scores & unweighted GPAs would cover that part of the argument.

Not trying to enter the argument on either side in terms of the quality of the school; but it seems like they've done a remarkable job of attracting more applications (and attendees) while actually tightening the belt in terms of admissions standards.

Last edited:
and just for a bit of humor... when i was looking through the data on the USA Today report, i found this:

0W6G0.png

Some poor kid applying to Freed-Hardeman in 2004 has some explaining to do.

The fact a thread about Wake's basketball game with High Point devolves into a piss fest about the school's academic standing and the legitimacy of its expansion speaks volumes.

Is this what an alcoholic would call rock bottom?

Mr. Medlin, what happened to your bank? I always wanted to ask you that,sir.

The other thing that is amusing to me as an outsider who knows nothing about High Point U is that apparently they are led by someone or something referred to as "Nido." This thread has led me to believe that this individual (?) or cabal is either some sort of marketing genius or the operator of a grand Ponzi scheme. Either way, I'm sensing vibes that "Nido" is evil.

Lol vt that Freed-Hardeman stat is amazing.

Yeah, I think marketing mastermind is a better way to describe Nido. He's not the Godfather.

Their website also lists them as the #3 ranked school in the US News and World Report.

I'd take everything on there with a grain of salt.

I just went on there and looked at that. I thought there'd be some fine print explaining this, but there's not.

It's just: #3 Ranking by USNews & World Report 2012 Edition of "America's Best Colleges."

What?? That's about as close to blatantly lying as you can get.

The other thing that is amusing to me as an outsider who knows nothing about High Point U is that apparently they are led by someone or something referred to as "Nido." This thread has led me to believe that this individual (?) or cabal is either some sort of marketing genius or the operator of a grand Ponzi scheme. Either way, I'm sensing vibes that "Nido" is evil.

See for yourself.

How bad has our program fallen when people are nervous about playing a High Point team with 5 losses???? Trap game...Really?

If this is a "big" game something is really wrong..

I feel like this is the 6th time this has been posted on this thread.

Like it or not, this is probably a tough game for us. Why can't we discuss that without it being some type of LOWF syndrome? Better to be realistic than to act like we're going to cream these guys because of the name on our shirt.

Yea, it's amazing that no one's mentioned his last name (Qubein).

I vote we stop calling Dr. Nathan Hatch by his real name and shorten to be more like HPU. They can have Nido, but we'll have Nato.

I just went on there and looked at that. I thought there'd be some fine print explaining this, but there's not.

It's just: #3 Ranking by USNews & World Report 2012 Edition of "America's Best Colleges."

What?? That's about as close to blatantly lying as you can get.

They're also number 7%th, according to Forbes.

I don't think that whole 'About Us' block was too well thought out.

YM1zx.png

(ETA: all kidding aside, the actual article that the USNWR logo links to on HPU's site is a bit more forthcoming)

Tex, don't you need to be studying for finals? You are overworking this issue.

Back