• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Out of bounds rule

But they got to review it, oh wait...

So when the QB allegedly leaves the pocket you can just start tackling receivers? Interesting.

Pereira examines illegal touching call

THE GAME: Wake Forest at Clemson

THE SITUATION: Clemson had the ball, second-and-goal at the Wake Forest 7-yard line with 1:30 left in the third quarter. Wake Forest led 28-14.

MY TAKE: There will be a lot of discussion about this play this week. Yes, Ford had a foot down with possession of the ball, but he also came from out of bounds. My Twitter account blew up. The referee announced after the review that the ruling on the field stood. By making that announcement, he left some questions dangling. Touching of a pass is reviewable, and one would have to assume that replay looked at the fact Ford was out of bounds, essentially making him ineligible. If he is the first to touch the pass, it is a 5-yard penalty for illegal touching. That’s what should have been called. The only possible reason for this not to be a foul is if Ford was pushed out of bounds before he came back in bounds. By the replays I saw, it did not appear Ford had been pushed. It’s going to be an interesting week in the ACC, especially because Clemson came back to win 31-28.

they probably would have scored on the next posession anyway, but it wasn't guarenteed the way they were giving the ball away via fumbles and ints.

no excuse for the officials not knowing or not caring about the rules of the game though. it isn't like they didn't notice it. they either didnt care or legitimately didn't know. that just plain negligent.

Last edited:
Either way it was a decently big deal because it would have then been what, 3rd and goal from the 12(after the penalty) down 28-14, that would have been huge if we'd stopped them on the next play and forced a field goal.

agreed, it;s amazing how something like this can happen when there are 7 officials on the field and more in the booth, you'd think someone would be like "uh yeah that's illegal." we should all write letters to the ACC.

don't think you can call a penalty after viewing a replay, can you? And how can they determine that it wasn't a catch without assessing a penalty?

*scratch that...thread consolidation has answered my questions.

Last edited:
Illegal touching is one of the few penalties that can be called after viewing a replay. Someone posted a link on the "Out of Bounds Rules" thread.

they probably would have scored on the next posession anyway, but it wasn't guarenteed the way they were giving the ball away via fumbles and ints.

Even if they do score on the next possession, their offense is forced to eat valuable clock. Maybe they don't have time to get the winning score.

Maybe our Defense actually hold the Tiggers to 3 points or gets a turnover.

Either way, we got hosed! We always get hosed in Death Valley.

Patriots touchdown reviewed last night for illegal touching, why not Clemson?

The Patriots had a touchdown overturned last night on review for illegal touching, I know it has been discussed on the other thread but maybe the Reff can tell me, is the NFL rule different from colllege or is the ACC going to issue an apology to Wake today?

I believe if you are needing a call to win a game then that is a problem, but I sure would like for Grobe to bitch to the ACC office about that touchdown and the fact that Clemson ran off three extra seconds to end the game after their field goal. I want other teams to complain about how Wake gets all the calls.

I know Grobe won't say anything because at Wake it is more important to show good sportsmanship than to bitch about officiating.

Last edited:
Dan Collins on his blog says that Wake has not filed a complaint with the ACC.

No surprise there. Even if the refs decided to give Clemson 13 points for one touchdown I doubt Grobe would protest the call.

At least he finally at least spoke to the refs about that close punt touchback ruling

Back