• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Outdoor Gear Recommendations

I have the khaki/green one because it's all the store had at the time, and I love it. Perfect for lounging around camp, especially in the summer. Also very convenient for day hikes near a lake w/ a book.

I'm interested in getting a sleeping bag for my son who's 6'1". Would he need a long? Also, how about a recommendation for a 2 man tent? Thanks!

so the people with the hammocks, does it not get cold or are they insulated?

hm, how much do these things weigh?

generally more than a tarp, less than a tent.

and yeah, most people use a sleeping bag, and as noted earlier, a sleeping pad for insulation if it's cold. it's easier to get chilled in a hammock since you're completely surrounded by air instead of ground that loses heat less quickly.

Last edited:

and yeah, most people use a sleeping bag, and as noted earlier, a sleeping bad for insulation if it's cold. it's easier to get chilled in a hammock since you're completely surrounded by air instead of ground that loses heat less quickly.

eta: for the weight, it depends on the type you get. most thru-hikers that i know use hennessy hammocks, and then make some changes to them (change out the way that they tie around the tree, sometimes in order to save weight, sometimes in order to be more kind to the trees). my tarp weighs just over 1 pound, so i could never justify the more than 2 pound hammock, but if you're comparing it to a tent, it usually saves some weight (the tarp lacks the poles, etc, that are necessary for a tent)

hm, how much do these things weigh?

and yeah, most people use a sleeping bag, and as noted earlier, a sleeping bad for insulation if it's cold. it's easier to get chilled in a hammock since you're completely surrounded by air instead of ground that loses heat less quickly.

My hammock weighs almost nothing -- definitely well less than a pound. Most of the weight is in the caribiners I (unnecessarily) added.

The hammock doesn't hardly weigh anything at all. The one I used weighed less than a pound, and compressed into a softball sized bag. I got one because I was camping in the summer in the desert and I get way too hot inside a tent.

what kind of hammocks are y'all using? i've never heard of one that light. are you not using the rain fly?

eta: ah, i just realized y'all are probably using something like the eno hammock listed earlier. that's a comfortable hammock, and i've used one just bumming around the house before, but it doesn't do anything to help with mosquitoes, if that's a concern.

ENO makes a product called the Guardian Bug Net. It zips over/around teh hammock. With regards to weight, it's not the lightest option out there, but I really like mine for how little room it takes in my pack.

Hot Wheels- give me more information. Your son is 6'1", is he still growing? (he'd probably need a long regardless). What about 2 person tent? What are you looking to do with it? Car camping? weekend trips? ultra-light long-term backpacking? Are you two people with minimal stuff, or two people with big packs and a dog that also has a pack? What's your price range? Help me help you.

I have a roommate that has the bug net and rain fly. While I would love to have this to allow me to sleep outside more often, 1) They are too expensive for me and 2) After borrowing his once or twice, it gets really hot with the rain fly. To answer ITC, if I'm just somewhere around the house (~350 acres) I'll bring a light blanket with me. If I'm actually camping or hiking, then I'll bring my mummy bag and adjust as needed, either sleep in it, or on top of it for a little comfortable insulation/padding.

what kind of hammocks are y'all using? i've never heard of one that light. are you not using the rain fly?

eta: ah, i just realized y'all are probably using something like the eno hammock listed earlier. that's a comfortable hammock, and i've used one just bumming around the house before, but it doesn't do anything to help with mosquitoes, if that's a concern.

I don't have a rain fly or a mosquito thing. I usually tie up a tarp above me, and put a tshirt over my face if mosquitos are around. If they get bad, I have a mosquito net that I can tie up.

Any thoughts on Marmot sleeping bags? I need a new bag and the Cloudbreak 30 looks like it might fit the bill.

it's a good bag for that temp range, and it's green. i like green.
synthetic is a little bigger/heavier than down, but if that's no concern i'd say go for it.
marmot makes good stuff in general.

I don't want to sound redundent or anything, but just giving another man's opinion. I have heard very positive feedback from the Marmot brand and the quality. I have never used the brand myself, but I feel like my sources are very reliable. Best of luck and be sure to report back if you decide to go with that one (or any that you choose)!

I don't want to sound redundent or anything, but just giving another man's opinion. I have heard very positive feedback from the Marmot brand and the quality. I have never used the brand myself, but I feel like my sources are very reliable. Best of luck and be sure to report back if you decide to go with that one (or any that you choose)!

:squint:

I've got one of the Marmot ultralight tents, and we absolutely love it. The whole thing is just a couple pounds, and is a nice quality.

I know you are not a man, haha. That isn't what I meant by it. The "another man" I was referring to was the guy I know that owns the Marmont brand bag that gave me the opinion. I was saying that I was giving another man's opinion because I was trying to make it clear that it wasn't my personal opinion. Sorry for the confusion, ma'am :thumbsup:

Back