• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Paul Graduating Next Month

Respect but bad optics there

I doubt anybody cares outside of Winston and the WSSU and Wake communities. It could be simple as WSSU has a more flexible course schedule in terms of online courses and Summer B courses. It's much more difficult to get a degree around an NBA schedule than an NFL schedule. He's still a loyal Deac and a loyal Winston native. Now he's a WSSU alum too.

Good for him! He had to really want to get his degree to make it happen after establishing a career. And finishing while still starting in the NBA is pretty crazy.

seems like pretty good optics to me? he finishes his degree in his hometown at a historically black university that is adjacent to the one where he started his degree. what's not to like?
That one of our most famous alums got a degree from somewhere other than MSD? That kinda sucks.

This is awesome. Dude is obviously whip smart and could have gotten a degree from most anywhere he wanted.

That one of our most famous alums got a degree from somewhere other than MSD? That kinda sucks.
Ehh, would have been better if his degree was from Wake I guess. But the greatest Deacon ever, Arnold Palmer, who spent 4 years on campus (vs. CP's two), never got a college degree. But if The King had at some point decided to use his Wake credits to finish off a degree at St. Vincent U. in Latrobe, PA, fine with me.
Wake already has an abundance of resources, and if CP3 decided to devote most of his local benevolence to WSSU, Forsyth Tech and/or the local public schools while maintaining a supportive (non-financial) public posture for Wake, fine by me.

Sure but people aren’t going to do that.
That's fine. Most folks won't really care. Of the two groups that care the most, butthurt Wake fans and members of the local black community, I'm inclined to lend more weight to the inspiration of the second group than the disappointment of the former. It's not like he's not continuing to support Wake. He just paid for the new locker room this year.

Back