• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Paula Deen's Contract Won't Be Renewed

We've now reached the point where merely admitting you used a disgusting word years ago can be met with severe repercussions.

I mean the context as I understand it was pretty bad.

Yeah. I haven't read the whole deposition but from what I understand it is worse than CNN portrayed in its initial story. That being said I imagine that most of America has no idea what the context was.

On the other hand, I think it is somewhat crazy that such a brouhaha is coming from the fact that (based on major news coverage) a woman raised in the South in the 50s admitted she has dropped the N bomb at some point in her life.

The part about wanting to dress up Black males as slaves for a plantation wedding was really problematic. I get why corporate entities like the Food Network would want to distance themselves from Deen, but I'm curious how her core restaurant customers will react. I'd guess they're Southerners between 50 and 70 who aren't especially health conscious. No doubt some percentage of that demographic also used racial slurs/told racist jokes at some point in their lives.

I guess that most current American adult males have used gay slurs/told gay jokes at some point in their life as well. Somebody's bound to get popped for that in 2073.

Last edited:
so i guess 50% of NBA players wont be signed as free agents and rappers are in serious trouble, sucks for them

Yeah. I haven't read the whole deposition but from what I understand it is worse than CNN portrayed in its initial story. That being said I imagine that most of America has no idea what the context was.

On the other hand, I think it is somewhat crazy that such a brouhaha is coming from the fact that (based on major news coverage) a woman raised in the South in the 50s admitted she has dropped the N bomb at some point in her life.

And wanted to have a "PLANTATION WEDDING".

Realistically that was the final straw. She could have gotten away with using the N word, but not intentionally planning a wedding that featured slave waiters.

In my opinion that is much worse.

Agree. How significant were her ratings now anyway? It could have been as simple as the Food Network just crunching the numbers to realize the PR campaign would never be worth it.

her food sucks anyway butter is not the ultimate equalizer

Agree. How significant were her ratings now anyway? It could have been as simple as the Food Network just crunching the numbers to realize the PR campaign would never be worth it.

Food Network is moving away from cooking shows anyway. She'll be replaced by another professional chef competition.

What may hurt Food Network is having to overexpose other shows to fill the holes from her reruns. She has lots of slots and every remnant of her existence will leave FN.

What sort of deposition was it that she had to be asked if she's ever dropped an N bomb.

What sort of deposition was it that she had to be asked if she's ever dropped an N bomb.

Paula's clearly not very bright, but she also doesn't have very competent people around her. Had she settled with a non-disclosure agreement, none of this would have come out and it would have been far cheaper. She also hurt herself by bailing on the Today Show at the last minute and putting out some half ass apology videos.

It's not like people are rushing to come out with good things she has done in her life to help offset all of this. She basically sounds like a monster.

That's a real good point. Has she even mentioned a black friend yet? The Neelys maybe?

Back