• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Paula Deen's Contract Won't Be Renewed

Nathalie Dupree speaks the truth

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/26/dining/paula-deens-words-ripple-among-southern-chefs.html

“It’s almost like a spoof of Southern cooking,” said Nathalie Dupree, the author of “Mastering the Art of Southern Cooking,” a cooking teacher and food historian in Charleston, S.C. Ms. Dupree, 73, said that in her childhood fried food was a once-a-week treat, that rich desserts were served even less often, and that vegetables and grains like rice and grits made up most of what was a healthy, farm-based diet.

“That is not how the people I know cook, and that is not how the people I know speak,” she said.

Ms. Dupree, who is white, is especially incensed by the notion (advanced by many of Ms. Deen’s defenders) that whites who grew up in the segregated South routinely use racist language without attaching any significance to it. “I’m beginning to take umbrage at being lumped together with people who haven’t taken the trouble to learn what is offensive and what isn’t,” she said. “It puts the whole region back again.”

Sort of off topic but I don't know how or why anyone would cook fried shit all the time, grilling or baking is much easier and healthier. I've got my own deep fryer and I only use it once or twice a year.

Scarborough said it well this morning. There used to be a time when you could say, "Well she grew up in a different time, but that was 30 years ago."

woah. just went to look up when she was born to see how i felt about that statement, and we have the same bday.

Sort of off topic but I don't know how or why anyone would cook fried shit all the time, grilling or baking is much easier and healthier. I've got my own deep fryer and I only use it once or twice a year.

While I rarely fry anything, for all the reasons above, you can actually fry things and keep them much healthier if you do things the right way. If you use a healthier oil with a high smoke point it helps. If you make sure the oil is actually hot enough before you put anything in it, it helps a ton. You should also have a thermometer to keep track of the oil temperature. Having the oil at the right temperature is key. It really, more than anything else, keeps the food from absorbing more of the oil than it needs to in order to cook.

You can also use something like corn meal instead of flour for breading. It will absorb less oil than the flour will. Another little trick is to put baking soda in the breading or to use seltzer water to make your batter if you're using that coating approach. Either of those will give off gas while cooking, which helps prevent a little more oil from being absorbed.

Again, with all that said, you should not be frying food every time you cook. The tips listed here can only do so much.

Back