• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

PC proliferation on college campuses (formerly UNC students...)

"The program will be vetted by a Professor of our choosing"

Has PH been contacted yet?

PH, would you be up for vetting this program?

Gonna be a rude awakening when they tell the first OWG at a private company to check their privilege. Speaking of checks, here's your final one.

Reactions: DG3
Not to my knowledge, which I think is a testament to Wake's efforts to protect and promote equality and inclusiveness.

It's easy to laugh at PC culture, and there's an easy argument to be made that this is just another part of administrative bloat, but Wake has really made a commitment in recent years to focus on this.

From the Anna Julia Cooper Center to the Office of Multicultural Affairs to the Office of Diversity and Inclusion to the LGBTQ center and many student-led efforts, Wake...kinda leads on this stuff.

For every nonsense request in the 40+ point list here from the UNC students, there are legitimate concerns facing campuses in America. That Wake has an infrastructure to deal with these concerns is really promising.

Seems kind of embarrassing but I guess you do what you have to do to prevent the students from holding the campus hostage.

It may be the job of administrators to shelter kids while they're in school, but it's the job of faculty to prepare them for the future.

Seems like the job of the administration should be to keep the lights on and the grass cut so that the faculty can teach.

But if kids continue to pay 100k and then demand 4 more years of parenting, what can you do?

south park has been killing it this year

The whole list in a nutshell reads like, "Step aside, we are taking over leadership of the university and rewriting all policy. K Bye."

For some reason when I read this, it's in Mitch Hedbergs voice.

This list is proof that you are not helping someone when you tell them feel-good lies. Holy mess these kids are about to screwed by life.

Yea! The Man will show those uppity know-nothings The Deal!

Unfortunately the reality is that there is only the tiniest of chances that any of these morons (and this includes college students of all races creeds and colors) are going to change the world in any significant or even slight way. The earlier they come to grips with reality, the better.

You go to a top 30 school with the best bball team cheating can buy. Life is good. Get over yourselves.

#13 is priceless. "We demand that the UNC Management Company and the Board of Trustees should begin researching and carrying out an immediate divestment from: a. private jails, prisons, and detention centers, b. Israeli Apartheid, and c. Coal."

What living fuck does any of that even mean in terms of "divestment from"? They aren't supposed to support sending people to jail? The University doesn't control/influence where the criminal justice system sends convicts. And what the hell does coal have to do with any of this - it's black?

This whole recent racial protest movement is like a conga line at a wedding - people just keep jumping on board but the drunk guy at the front has absolutely no idea where he is leading everyone.

Do you understand what divestment means?

Unfortunately the reality is that there is only the tiniest of chances that any of these morons (and this includes college students of all races creeds and colors) are going to change the world in any significant or even slight way. The earlier they come to grips with reality, the better.

You go to a top 30 school with the best college basketball team in America and the best football team in the ACC. Life is good. Get over yourselves.

Edited because we care to bring you the very best.

Man, I'm really starting to feel compassion fatigue, and I'm somewhat ashamed. There are so many good and important things that need to be done to fix the very real problems with institutional, structural, and systemic racism, but some of these methods and demands are just distracting, unrealistic, and naive. Makes me sad.

Man, I'm really starting to feel compassion fatigue, and I'm somewhat ashamed. There are so many good and important things that need to be done to fix the very real problems with institutional, structural, and systemic racism, but some of these methods and demands are just distracting, unrealistic, and naive. Makes me sad.

I agree that the methods in some cases are bad, but I think it's really important that we don't delegitimize these protests just on the basis of methodology because the end cause they are pursuing is a worthy one.

These are students who see vestiges of past discrimination all around them and they want to do something about it. Are they picking the right way to go about it? In many cases probably not, but at the end of the day they are trying and I admire them for that

Last edited:
Back