• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

PC proliferation on college campuses (formerly UNC students...)

I agree that the methods in some cases are bad, but I think it's really important that we don't delegitimize these protests just on the basis of methodology because the end cause they are pursuing is a worthy one.

These are students who see vestiges of past discrimination all around them and they want to do something about it. Are they picking the right way to go about it? In many cases probably not, but at the end of the day they are trying and I admire them for that

You may admire them, but the people whose opinions they are actually trying to change just laugh at them when they bring something this ridiculous.

Unfortunately the reality is that there is only the tiniest of chances that any of these morons (and this includes college students of all races creeds and colors) are going to change the world in any significant or even slight way. The earlier they come to grips with reality, the better.

You go to a top 30 school with the best bball team cheating can buy. Life is good. Get over yourselves.

Man, I'm really starting to feel compassion fatigue, and I'm somewhat ashamed. There are so many good and important things that need to be done to fix the very real problems with institutional, structural, and systemic racism, but some of these methods and demands are just distracting, unrealistic, and naive. Makes me sad.

I'm the same. I'm a liberal dude, but this list is nuts. I also have a difficult time accepting that UNC-Chapel Hill of all places is not a friendly place for minorities. I realize there are racist elements of its history, but I feel like that is the case at pretty much any institution in the United States that dates back to the 18th century, and I fail to see how that history necessarily oppresses students in 2015. Hard for me to relate I suppose to the angst one claims to feel because some building on campus I never enter is named after a guy who died 100 years ago and may have been a racist. I don't know. I just know that if one feels oppressed by the atmosphere at UNC-Chapel Hill in 2015, that person is probably never going to feel NOT oppressed living in America.

Christ, I hope I don't sound like bobknightfan.

You may admire them, but the people whose opinions they are actually trying to change just laugh at them when they bring something this ridiculous.

I know that, and while at some level it's understandable, I think it's a shame. Minority students have a fair point that in 2015 we shouldn't have schools where buildings are named after well known racists. And the reality of the matter is that if these students weren't bringing it to our attention in protesting then none of us would even be thinking about changing the name.

That's what I mean when I say their end cause is a worthy one. As a society, we should not need these protests to take notice of things that should be changed because they are stigmatizing to minorities, but the reality of the matter is that at least at this point in time we do need them. So while I don't agree with all the methods and tactics, I think that in the long run they do more good than harm

Have there been any protests on campus at Wake yet?

buzz-out-billboard.jpg

I know that, and while at some level it's understandable, I think it's a shame. Minority students have a fair point that in 2015 we shouldn't have schools where buildings are named after well known racists. And the reality of the matter is that if these students weren't bringing it to our attention in protesting then none of us would even be thinking about changing the name.

That's what I mean when I say their end cause is a worthy one. As a society, we should not need these protests to take notice of things that should be changed because they are stigmatizing to minorities, but the reality of the matter is that at least at this point in time we do need them. So while I don't agree with all the methods and tactics, I think that in the long run they do more good than harm

But they aren't stigmatizing to minorities if nobody knows, or more importantly cares, about the connection. These aren't well-known people other than that their name is on a building at UNC. Before yesterday, 99.9% of the North Carolina population had no idea who William Saunders was or if he was a racist, nor did they care. To your point that nobody thought about changing the name, because nobody knew who the hell he was. But now, a lot of people know he was a racist. Bringing attention to these things doesn't really help forget about those dudes like this would seemingly desire, it brings them right to the forefront.

But they aren't stigmatizing to minorities if nobody knows, or more importantly cares, about the connection. These aren't well-known people other than that their name is on a building at UNC. Before yesterday, 99.9% of the North Carolina population had no idea who William Saunders was or if he was a racist, nor did they care. To your point that nobody thought about changing the name, because nobody knew who the hell he was. But now, a lot of people know he was a racist. Bringing attention to these things doesn't really help forget about those dudes like this would seemingly desire, it brings them right to the forefront.

Well at least some people did know who he was and were hurt by it, because they decided to protest. I mean if I'm a black student who knows goes to class every day in a building I know was named after a racist or a slaveholder, am I suppose to just ignore it because I'm the only one who knows who the guy is? I feel like I would probably at least try to do something about it.

If someone told you that there was a Himmler Hall at the University of Berlin and that a bunch of Jewish kids go to class there, wouldn't your first reaction be that that's kind of fucked up and they should change the name?

You're going to have a hard time finding anyone in America's past that will pass a modern racism test. You're going to be mostly arguing degrees of just how racist they are so the end result of most this is just historical vandalism.

Last edited:
Well at least some people did know who he was and were hurt by it, because they decided to protest. I mean if I'm a black student who knows goes to class every day in a building I know was named after a racist or a slaveholder, am I suppose to just ignore it because I'm the only one who knows who the guy is? I feel like I would probably at least try to do something about it.

If someone told you that there was a Himmler Hall at the University of Berlin and that a bunch of Jewish kids go to class there, wouldn't your first reaction be that that's kind of fucked up and they should change the name?

Major in AFAM. They didn't have class every day in a building named after a racist or a slaveholder. In fact, they didn't have class at all.

Man, I'm really starting to feel compassion fatigue, and I'm somewhat ashamed. There are so many good and important things that need to be done to fix the very real problems with institutional, structural, and systemic racism, but some of these methods and demands are just distracting, unrealistic, and naive. Makes me sad.

I agree. These kids are attempting to fill the voids left by administrators who are behind on these issues. That's an impossible task. They don't know what a responsible institution looks like so they don't know how to ask for it.

No. It's not like Himmler didn't exist, he is part of their history. Just like Saunders is part of NC's history. I don't see the benefit of [name redacteding] actual history. It is an educational institution; teaching history is part of education.

Most people I know who are engaged in these protests aren't going to be in for a "rude awakening" from an "an OWG private boss" because theyre predominantly working for non profits and other groups attempting to change the system.

You're going to have a hard time finding anyone in America's past that will past a modern racism test. You're going to be mostly arguing degrees of just how racist they are so the end result of most this is just historical vandalism.

There's history and there are names of buildings particular those simply named after historical figures. Institutions don't have to celebrate the same people they did several generations ago.

I wonder if they feel stigmatized every time they are handed change at a store?

There's history and there are names of buildings particular those simply named after historical figures. Institutions don't have to celebrate the same people they did several generations ago.

So what's the standard? If it's being a slaveholder or even just a racist then we're going to have to take a wrecking ball to to the Washington Monument, Jefferson Memorial and Lincoln Memorial. We'll have bulldoze the FDR memorial and dynamite Mount Rushmore while we're at it.

we should start a pool for the renaming of the Capital and State

so: don't rename buildings but make every student take a course that reminds them people had wack values in the days of yore

Back