• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pence Used Private Email Server as Governor

Also there is a difference here Mike Pence did not use a private server, he used a private email account. I'll let RJ explain the difference.

The difference being of course that an AOL server could be accessed by all manner of people.

combined with a private server and friends with low morals in high places you can control and potentially destroy your incriminating correspondence with your yoga instructor, as well as others, and thereby make corrupt solicitation for your "foundation" more difficult to prove

pretty simple actually, even a garden variety Hillshill could figure it out

That was partially my point. Even if her email use was totally begnin, it looks sketchy. Use your work email for work, personal email for personal email. Obviously, there are occasions where work email is personal, just realize there's no privacy in that.

The difference being of course that an AOL server could be accessed by all manner of people.

In all candor, I never heard an explanation as to why Powell and Rice's use of a private email was better than the use of a private email server. The private server seems safer to this noob. Though again, just use the damn email work gave you.

That was partially my point. Even if her email use was totally begnin, it looks sketchy. Use your work email for work, personal email for personal email. Obviously, there are occasions where work email is personal, just realize there's no privacy in that.

and my point is that in Hillary's case it did make sense

This is also true. Not saying what he did was better, it just wasn't the same. He put his emails on a multi tenant public server.

In all candor, I never heard an explanation as to why Powell and Rice's use of a private email was better than the use of a private email server. The private server seems safer to this noob. Though again, just use the damn email work gave you.

Because she set hers up to get around FOIA requests specifically. What Pence did was just dumb and reckless, but it is also my understanding that senators and govenors are allowed to use a private email address, while SOS cannot. I could be wrong though.

Because she set hers up to get around FOIA requests specifically. What Pence did was just dumb and reckless, but it is also my understanding that senators and govenors are allowed to use a private email address, while SOS cannot. I could be wrong though.

How would using @clinton.com get around FOIA but @AOL would not? Seems similar issues are at play. The so-called Vice Chancellor has been arguing that his emails are private (per my review of headline at least). Shrug.

Pence directed outside counsel to review his AOL email and transfer government emails to the state, while leaving the rest. Some of the AOL emails were confidential and sensitive enough that they could not be turned over to a public records request. Is this not incredibly similar to what Clinton did?

The server where the physical emails were kept were physically on her servers in her house. If people came knocking she and her IT team would personally have the ability to scrub the servers clean of compromising emails. @AOL not so much, because email records were on public servers owned by AOL, or whoever AOL was using as their cloud provider.

The server where the physical emails were kept were physically on her servers in her house. If people came knocking she and her IT team would personally have the ability to scrub the servers clean of compromising emails. @AOL not so much, because email records were on public servers owned by AOL, or whoever AOL was using as their cloud provider.

That's a fair distinction but it leads me to another question - isn't an AOL server more open to attack? Case in point, Pence's so called email account was in fact subject to a phishing attack.

There are people trying to hack AOL every minute of every day. They share material. A private server can much more easily know it's been accessed.

Also it's really sensible to be worried about the physical location, when the private server is being protected by the US Secret Service and other government security agencies. We're not talking about Joe having a server in his house in W-S.

For the sake of argument, let's just concede that Clinton was reckless and stupid by using a private email server. Can anyone explain to me why what Pence has done is materially different from what Clinton did?

Back