• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Permanent Chat Thread: hello has the best ct's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chili in the crockpot, firewood ready for the firepit, spiced apple cider in the works and lots of candy for the little kids.

It's going to be an awesome night.

some of you guys may remember that i asked for your thoughts/prayers/vibes a couple of weeks ago. we had just found out that my wife was a carrier for cystic fibrosis (she wasn't tested during first pregnancy as she's had no family instances of it) and i had to get tested. i've had 2 family members have CF so i was convinced that i'd be a carrier which would lead to a 1/4 chance that bmoneybabyfetus would have CF. just got my test results and i'm not a carrier (like a bause) so there are no worries. huge sigh of relief. i appreciate all you guys that thought about us.

Fundraisers suck. It's generally stuff that you can get for less elsewhere and I have objections with using kids as corporate pawns under the guise of fundraising. WTF do I need with a 5-gallon tin of caramel popcorn for $20 anyway? If your kid sells $100 worth of crappy wrapping paper, I doubt the school gets half of that number. I'd rather write a $50 check to the school than send my kids door to door (with me having to trail them). Luckily, we're not affiliated with a school that engages in this type of nonsense.

Having worked with schools in this area, I can say the get about 25%. I'm am glad to see a lot of schools (especially private schools) moving away from this and reinventing the ways that they raise their money.

Fundraisers suck. It's generally stuff that you can get for less elsewhere and I have objections with using kids as corporate pawns under the guise of fundraising. WTF do I need with a 5-gallon tin of caramel popcorn for $20 anyway? If your kid sells $100 worth of crappy wrapping paper, I doubt the school gets half of that number. I'd rather write a $50 check to the school than send my kids door to door (with me having to trail them). Luckily, we're not affiliated with a school that engages in this type of nonsense.

These don't count, right?

cookie_boxes.jpg

some of you guys may remember that i asked for your thoughts/prayers/vibes a couple of weeks ago. we had just found out that my wife was a carrier for cystic fibrosis (she wasn't tested during first pregnancy as she's had no family instances of it) and i had to get tested. i've had 2 family members have CF so i was convinced that i'd be a carrier which would lead to a 1/4 chance that bmoneybabyfetus would have CF. just got my test results and i'm not a carrier (like a bause) so there are no worries. huge sigh of relief. i appreciate all you guys that thought about us.

Wow, that is great news. Definitely nerve-wracking to wait for that info.

My father lost siblings to CF and I know how nervous my sister was when she was waiting for the results of her carrier test (negative!) recently when she and her husband started preparing for babies.

cookie_boxes.jpg

HAHA! When I worked in a school, there were numerous girl scouts. You knew when they got their forms. Each one would hit you up.

When MtnDeac moved into the house that we rent, it was girl scout cookie time. One of our neighbors had made this big sign for her yard announcing "Girl Scout Cookies Sold Here - Ring Doorbell to Purchase". I saw many people come get their cookies.

Chili in the crockpot, firewood ready for the firepit, spiced apple cider in the works and lots of candy for the little kids.

It's going to be an awesome night.

So jealous!

Awesome news! So glad for good news!

cookie_boxes.jpg

Yes, they count. Would you, as a parent, be interested in sitting in front of a Harris Teeter selling cookies on a Saturday afternoon? And is there any bigger ripoff to the consumer than Girl Scout cookies? They're not even made with real Girl Scouts.

HAHA! When I worked in a school, there were numerous girl scouts. You knew when they got their forms. Each one would hit you up.

When MtnDeac moved into the house that we rent, it was girl scout cookie time. One of our neighbors had made this big sign for her yard announcing "Girl Scout Cookies Sold Here - Ring Doorbell to Purchase". I saw many people come get their cookies.

My wife is a teacher, and when I worked at the Y, I had 4 afterschool sites. We probably bought GS Cookies from about 10 different kids.

Yes, they count. Would you, as a parent, be interested in sitting in front of a Harris Teeter selling cookies on a Saturday afternoon? And is there any bigger ripoff to the consumer than Girl Scout cookies? They're not even made with real Girl Scouts.

I would just buy cookies from them to meet their quota. Then I would unload them on Ebay 4 months after they are available for profit.

yall are some curmudgeons.

as for 'turning off the lights and pretending to not be home' - i know as a kid trying to maximize my candy intake, i didn't care if the light was off or not. if the house was directly next to a house that WAS giving out candy and was in my path to the next candy house, i was going there.
looking back on it, i hope the people inside were driven nuts by the incessant ringing and knocking they had vowed not to answer. they missed out on seeing some sweet costumes.

We are just going to sit out on the porch tonight and hand out candy. Hopefully that will minimize the dogs freaking out and the inevitable gangsters that will be out for candy from seeing into our house and eyeing all our sweet stuff...

I have a bunch of stuff to do tonight and I'm a little frustrated that I can't leave my outdoor light on for myself, because it will attract trick-or-treaters. And I can't put my jack o lantern outside either because it will attract people and/or get smashed.

Just crushed some pizza from last night and it's already making me feel better. Chances of getting some work done today just went up dramatically.

I have a bunch of stuff to do tonight and I'm a little frustrated that I can't leave my outdoor light on for myself, because it will attract trick-or-treaters. And I can't put my jack o lantern outside either because it will attract people and/or get smashed.

Can you just leave a bowl of candy out?

Today is my last day of work. TONIGHT PARTY TIME!!! Tomorrow the crushing realization of unemployment. Actually I will probably enjoy it for a week or so until I realize I'm not gonna get PAID anymore.

I suppose, but that would just be providing a lot of candy for one person and then someone would probably steal my empty bowl and smash my pumpkin anyway. Also I don't have any candy.

What the hell kind of neighborhood is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back