• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Personal Injury Attorney

Oh we are doing these stories now? Some intakes I did while interning:
  • Mother was teaching her son how to drive and he drove into a ditch. Mother wanted to sue the son because she now had neck pain.
  • Lady comes in and said she was in an accident. Her story was she met some guy at a bar, let him drive her car back to her place. He drove off the road and then fled before the cops arrived. She didn’t have his name or phone number. Wanted to sue him as John Doe (this is allowed in SC)
-Different state but guy committed suicide by jumping in front of traffic, there was no question it was intentional. His family was suing the driver of the car that hit him, and were arguing that because there was front and rear tire tracks on the body, the driver wasn’t paying attention.

I also have good divorce stories too.

I got rear ended Uptown last fall. The guy didn't have insurance, or a license, and it wasn't his car. And he was broke too. I didn't even get to sue.

I had a much longer much darker response last night, but I’ll just say that in a prior life I did some legal work that was personal injury adjacent and there are some very unsavory aspects of that type of work.
I think it depends on the jurisdiction, the firm, and the business model. I'm not going to deny for a second that there are unsavory characters. Those are mostly lawyers who do not actually try cases and thus do not care about poisoning jury pools with their terrible ads. But for people who have been legitimately harmed and who hire actual professionals, I think the system makes sense and works well.

And most of the stories above are just stories of awful people, not an indictment of trial lawyers.

I handled the estate administration for a mother suing an apartment complex for inadequate security after her son was shot and killed during a drug deal where he was selling drugs out of his apartment.

Represented another estate where a family of a CSX employee was suing the railroad because he was in an accident in a company truck. When taken to the hospital they discovered cancer which ultimately killed him. The lawyers argued the trauma of the accident accelerated the growth of the cancer that they wouldn’t have even known about but for the accident.

I think it depends on the jurisdiction, the firm, and the business model. I'm not going to deny for a second that there are unsavory characters. Those are mostly lawyers who do not actually try cases and thus do not care about poisoning jury pools with their terrible ads. But for people who have been legitimately harmed and who hire actual professionals, I think the system makes sense and works well.

And most of the stories above are just stories of awful people, not an indictment of trial lawyers.
Awful people, who found representation. I was always told, do the intake and then make sure to sign them up.

I handled the estate administration for a mother suing an apartment complex for inadequate security after her son was shot and killed during a drug deal where he was selling drugs out of his apartment.

Represented another estate where a family of a CSX employee was suing the railroad because he was in an accident in a company truck. When taken to the hospital they discovered cancer which ultimately killed him. The lawyers argued the trauma of the accident accelerated the growth of the cancer that they wouldn’t have even known about but for the accident.
Putting aside the fact that there are normally two sides to every story, these are nothing more than anecdotes. If it was that clear and obvious, I'm sure each case was summarily dismissed. I can give you 100 more stories about how the system worked and people obtained justice that they would otherwise never have realized.

Being married to a former PI Attorney, I can say there are a significant number of folks that have legitimate cases, but lord have mercy there are some doozies.

Putting aside the fact that there are normally two sides to every story, these are nothing more than anecdotes. If it was that clear and obvious, I'm sure each case was summarily dismissed. I can give you 100 more stories about how the system worked and people obtained justice that they would otherwise never have realized.

Both cases were settled for an insurance payout.

I don’t deny that there are legitimate cases. We represented a guardianship for a Sheriff’s deputy who underwent a routine medical procedure and ended up a quadriplegic. He got an 8 figure payout from the hospital.

I think contingency fees should be on a sliding scale.

I think contingency fees should be on a sliding scale.
I hope you're never in the position to need to hire someone for that type of case, but in the event it happens I suppose you can negotiate a sliding scale fee.

This is the truth. Behind every shady trial lawyer is an awful person willing to bring a BS claim. Should be an indictment of humanity overall - not just the lawyers.

e7283ff1c29e97db9059f821d77f7eb3.gif

Back