• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

PHDeac - what is our hoops bet again?

kp has us at 15-14, so i guess jaybone's a SLIGHT favorite.

kp has us at 15-14, so i guess jaybone's a SLIGHT favorite.

Kenpom excludes the 2nd and 3rd games in the Atlantis since the opponent is unknown. Without doing a super thorough check, I think USC is the only team worse than us in Kenpom that we might be matched up against. I don't think his algorithm accounts for coaching upgrades though.

This schedule sets up for 17 wins without much stretching.

This board thought last year set up for 15 wins without much stretching, too.

I just went with Kenpom. He's got us at 15 wins and I think we'll lose the other two in Atlantis. Any sophomore slumps or even lack of improvement from the sophomores in the rotation or injuries to starters for any significant stretch will make 15 or less much more likely. Jaybone has a slim margin of error. I'm surprised he took such a straightforward bet especially without postseason as a hail mary.

I won't know what to think until jaybone tells me what Ron Wellman thinks about this.

I was going to suggest the loser posts video of him dressed like a teddy bear twerking. What is $50 between two grown men?

A dinner. I'm not going to be back in NYC anytime soon and I doubt bone will be coming to FL.

I will never set foot in fl or Texas. Not w my family anyway. They have to repeal a few laws. I know a 4 year old is unlikely to intimidate the zimmermans of each state but I have to teach him this is a nation divided and some states are just fucked and to be left to their own stew ;-)

I don't know how ph does it. He's a big guy. Need to write a book ph - how I don't intimidate the zimmermans at 6'2" 200+ and black - the survivors guide

Some tips:
* the local appleby's is safe; the local Denny's is not
* pancake houses are for rednecks leave well te hell alone
* no jogging or cycling unless at university gym or campus
* hit white folks only playing flag football. Allow yourself two moments of aggression then consider sitting
* only smoke pot at home
* give yourself a 10pm curfew; 9pm on weekends
* make sure every neighbor and neighbor's neifhbor knows who you are

I think Bone is a relatively modest favorite here. Our non-conference schedule is an absolute joke. I think we go 16-15 or 17-14. We can get to around 14 wins just by beating teams worse than 100 on KP.

It will be close. I think he has a smaller margin for error.

I think Bone is a relatively modest favorite here. Our non-conference schedule is an absolute joke. I think we go 16-15 or 17-14. We can get to around 14 wins just by beating teams worse than 100 on KP.

I agree that the schedule is weak enough and we do have some experience to win those early season cupcakes, giving le boner the edge. However, Ph is right in that bone has less margin to play with. Basically we HAVE to win certain games to get to .500, whereas we have the potential to lose every game we play.

I agree that the schedule is weak enough and we do have some experience to win those early season cupcakes, giving le boner the edge. However, Ph is right in that bone has less margin to play with. Basically we HAVE to win certain games to get to .500, whereas we have the potential to lose every game we play.

Hmmm, I don't know about all that now!

Signed,
http://accbasketball.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/jeff-[Redacted].jpg

I think this team gets above .500 for a number of reasons, but that's not what matters here.

The fact that a person holding a PhD from a top five University is willing to (reasonably, I should add) wager actual currency that an ACC team (let alone one with 90% of its minutes returning) won't crack .500 against a schedule comprised of this nonconference schedule makes me want to vomit.

R.I.P. Wake Basketball. You had a good run.

I think this team gets above .500 for a number of reasons, but that's not what matters here.

The fact that a person holding a PhD from a top five University is willing to (reasonably, I should add) wager actual currency that an ACC team (let alone one with 90% of its minutes returning) won't crack .500 against a schedule comprised of this nonconference schedule makes me want to vomit.

R.I.P. Wake Basketball. You had a good run.

Apologies to Arlington for going off-topic, but what top five school are we talking about?

Apologies to Arlington for going off-topic, but what top five school are we talking about?

And since when does having a PHD in academia translate into knowledge about basketball/sports.
Note: not saying PH doesn't know anything about wake bball, for the record.

Ph got his PhD from Duke

and Jaybone - I wouldn't worry too much about TX. Sure there's a lot more guns, but when I lived there, I felt like race relations were light years ahead of NC

and DeacsorDie - I think it was just giving him credit for at least average general intelligence.

NC is more racist than Texas. Homophobia is a toss-up. Both states need to improve on that front.

The Daily Show had a great bit about homophobia in Alabama and Mississippi last night. Dressed up two dudes in flannel and trucker hats and had them walk about cities in each state holding hands. Nobody batted an eye. They did a public proposal in a Waffle House and got applause.

NC is more racist than Texas. Homophobia is a toss-up. Both states need to improve on that front.

I don't know about Texas, but I grew up in North Carolina and have lived in PA, NJ, GA. I found both PA and NJ to be way more segregated than NC or GA. I think it is hard to judge racism when people of different races never interact.

And since when does having a PHD in academia translate into knowledge about basketball/sports.
Note: not saying PH doesn't know anything about wake bball, for the record.

I acknowledged going off topic.

To your question, it doesn't. But Ph seems like an incredibly bright guy who I thought got his post-graduate paper from Wake.. so when JH cited 'top five', I wondered where...

Back