• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pick Our Next Basketball Coach for Ronald

Ronald will hire this person as next coach:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Gary Parrish, Jeff Borzello and co. discuss coaches on the hot seat and devote a few mins to our situation, starting around the 19-minute mark.

Basic summary: none of them can see Buzz being around for a 5th season. They referred to us as a "storied program--this is where Chris Paul went to school for crying out loud." Borzello said that he thinks no other fanbase wants their coach gone more than we do (whoop whoop!).

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...e-basketball-podcast-coaches-hot-seat-edition

Actually starts at the 20:30 mark...

According to them some crying woman came up and hugged Buzz after the UNC game, repeatedly thanking him. WTF?! Was it Braces?

"There could be true rioting in the streets of Winston Salem if he comes back next year."

One of them says, "I actually didn't mind the hire." The other guy says, incredulously, "Really".

He closes his explanation of why he didn't mind with, "If you're going to hire a [Redacted], it better work. And this has not worked in any sort of interpretation. I can't believe they brought Jeff back for this year."

"This is a historically relevant basketball program that is just a complete mess."

Last edited:
I see the conditional nature of the OP, but no Marshall or Shaka = Poll Fail. They are the only two I like at this point.

Last edited:
Ok--I stand corrected on the WSU money front. They have a very small budget for bball (one article say less than Pitino's salary) and actually lost money on the Final Four run last year.

I know their arena is named after a Koch, is it possible the program is being bankrolled by a single benefactor?

Wake can easily outbid and provide more resources than Wichita State. We can't outbid or provide more resources than a Koch brother.

I see the conditional nature of the OP, but no Marshall or Shaka = Poll Fail. They are the only two I like at this point.

Everyone knows that Marshall and Shaka are way better than everyone on the list. They would be home run hires to nearly every single board member. Putting them in the poll would only pollute the purpose of the poll (seeing who the board favors assuming we can't score the 2 supermodel candidates)

Marshall and Shaka are 1A and 1B for me. I would be beyond thrilled with either and would feel confident that both either would have us competing with the nation's elite.

Marshall would get so much ridicule if he left a Top 5 team like Wichita State for a currently irrelevant bottom feeder like Wake. He would of course turn it around with a couple years, but that initial backlash would be rough. I think he'll hold out a couple years for one of the premier jobs to open up or just stay at WSU for good.
Didn't mean for this post to sound so LOWF. Obviously Wake is a better long-term job than Wichita State. All I meant is given how hot of a commodity Marshall is at the moment, I think people in the media would question why he would leave WSU, where he's guaranteed 25-30 wins and an NCAAT appearance every year (with a likely #1 seed this year), for a program that hasn't made even made a postseason appearance, never mind the NCAAT, for 4 years. Yes, we have a storied program. Yes, we have a lot to offer. But we're in complete rebuild mode here and in terrible condition scholarship-wise because of Buzz. I'm not sure that's what he wants. I just think he'll wait a few years for one of the premier jobs to open up.

Who knows though, he may want a challenge of rebuilding a program. I'll gladly eat all the the crow in the world if I'm wrong.

Masiello's Jaspers are down 9 in the first half to Siena right now. Can't lose this if you want to win the conference, where Manhattan is currently 1.5 games back of Iona.

UMASS takes down VCU.

VCU moves to 20-7 (8-4). They were a (5) seed last year at 26-8 (12-4). Lunardi has them as an 8 seed right now.

so I suppose we need to root for an early NCAA exit for Wichita St...

I expect an underwhelming hire, but most fans will just feel an enormous sense of relief that Bz is gone and be satisfied with whoever Ron chooses.

I expect a lot of "In Wellman I trust" from the casual fans who don't know any better as well as from the same idiots as last time.

I will not feel any relief until we hire a coach that makes me think we're going to win again.

If it's a bad hire, we'll likely have 3-4 more years of this crap (and fall even farther from relevancy).

The hire is VERY important.

Last edited:
Excerpts from an email that I received from someone that I know in a coaching search firm. The email was a response to one I sent that asked how WF is positioned, who his ideal match would be, and how people view Wellman/[Redacted] situation.

"Wake Forest will have a lot of interest in its position if/when it opens up. It would definitely be among the top schools looking, if not the top school. Wake Forest does not have the history of the super elite programs but I think a lot of people would put them in the second tier of programs (top 25/30) with the ability to become a tweener of those two groups. To many, the past few years of struggles have not really had too much of an impact on their perception of the school. I am not familiar with who WF's AD has on his list but from my conversations with various people throughout the NCAA landscape, I believe that Wake Forest is in a position to land a great coach."

"If I was in charge of hiring the next coach, my #1 fit would be Shaka Smart. He looks ready to take the next step and he has the experience/skills necessary to succeed in high major basketball. He values education and can function well in that environment. I believe that Wake Forest would be a great fit for him."

"Wellman is viewed as a leader among his peers. Everyone knows that he wants the athletic teams run in a specific maner but that is not viewed as necessarily a bad thing and it is not that much different than most ADs. Make no mistake, having Ron Wellman as the AD is an advantage for WF over most other schools."
:eek:hnoes::eek:hnoes::eek:hnoes:

Excerpts from an email that I received from someone that I know in a coaching search firm. The email was a response to one I sent that asked how WF is positioned, who his ideal match would be, and how people view Wellman/[Redacted] situation.

"Wake Forest will have a lot of interest in its position if/when it opens up. It would definitely be among the top schools looking, if not the top school. Wake Forest does not have the history of the super elite programs but I think a lot of people would put them in the second tier of programs (top 25/30) with the ability to become a tweener of those two groups. To many, the past few years of struggles have not really had too much of an impact on their perception of the school. I am not familiar with who WF's AD has on his list but from my conversations with various people throughout the NCAA landscape, I believe that Wake Forest is in a position to land a great coach."

"If I was in charge of hiring the next coach, my #1 fit would be Shaka Smart. He looks ready to take the next step and he has the experience/skills necessary to succeed in high major basketball. He values education and can function well in that environment. I believe that Wake Forest would be a great fit for him."

"Wellman is viewed as a leader among his peers. Everyone knows that he wants the athletic teams run in a specific maner but that is not viewed as necessarily a bad thing and it is not that much different than most ADs. Make no mistake, having Ron Wellman as the AD is an advantage for WF over most other schools."

FAP

Probably not all that important in the grand scheme of things, but I suspect Wellman's continued support of [Redacted] is somewhat endearing to potential candidates.

Back