• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pinterest

Pinterest, what say you quad

• For girls and guys

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • For girls and gheys

Votes: 57 68.7%
  • Doofus/Numbers

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I should neg rep you for wasting my time

Votes: 16 19.3%

• Total voters
every time one of my friends pins baby stuff, I'm like "is she pregnant and hasn't told me yet, or did I miss it somehow?"

YES. i've had these thoughts with several friends. i really appreciate it when people label their boards with things like "i'm not preggo, but i might as well plan for the future." titles like that calm my nerves about whether or not i have ANOTHER pregnant friend.

Haha I hadn't thought of that but I don't follow a ton of peeps on there. Mine is "things for the future" and by that I mean like several years future.

YES. i've had these thoughts with several friends. i really appreciate it when people label their boards with things like "i'm not preggo, but i might as well plan for the future." titles like that calm my nerves about whether or not i have ANOTHER pregnant friend.

Haha I hadn't thought of that but I don't follow a ton of peeps on there. Mine is "things for the future" and by that I mean like several years future.

yeah, mine is "no shame in being prepared". it's mostly wedding ideas, but a couple little kid ones.

and holy cow, SO many people are pregnant right now I feel like, and all of them are naming their little boys Liam. I wanted to name my boy Liam but now I feel it's too trendy :( (actually, we were talking and both like the name lucas achilles...yes, achilles).

yeah, mine is "no shame in being prepared". it's mostly wedding ideas, but a couple little kid ones.

and holy cow, SO many people are pregnant right now I feel like, and all of them are naming their little boys Liam. I wanted to name my boy Liam but now I feel it's too trendy :( (actually, we were talking and both like the name lucas achilles...yes, achilles).

i don't think i realized that liam had become a trendy name, but now that you mention it, i do have two friends who named their boys liam.

first of all, i'm a girl.

second of all, no, i'm saying that the article says something different than the headline.

1. My bad. I know full well you're a girl, just didn't read who he was responding to and assumed it was Go for some reason.

2. Don't think we're too far off, and I was trying to agree with you. The article does say something completely different from the headline. The article mentions actual numbers and research... meanwhile, the headline's presumptuous assumption comes from what, exactly? I think it's pretty fair to assume that the article's author took some freedoms in his/her interpretation of the statistics presented in the article, even though, as you've correctly pointed out, it would be misleading to draw certain conclusions from those statistics.

Pinterest users who are fans enough to "like" the facebook page probably represent a certain segment of the Pinterest population that is a little crazier about how useful/awesome it is. Not at all surprised that that population would trend towards females.... the guys I know that use it (myself included) definitely don't try and bring attention towards their usage (i.e. I'd never "like' it on facebook).

Also, I get that it might seem like people are trying to pin a bunch of things they'll never have and live in dream land... but I think it's disingenuous to say that's the only reason people pin things. Most graphic designers have inspiration books and/or websites they visit, and I think pinterest is similar. Outside of the recipes, you might pin a bunch of living spaces you like, so that you may draw inspiration from those pins some day. Similarly, the same could go with clothes, or honestly, ANYTHING. Personally, I think a large part of the draw of pinterest is the ease in which it lets people put together inspirational "lookbooks" so when the time comes to decorate your house, or indulge in consumerism in some way, you've got a certain aesthetic you've put together to guide you. It just seems narrow-minded and petty to assume that people to write pinterest boards off as "dreams of things they'll never have".

Also, I get that it might seem like people are trying to pin a bunch of things they'll never have and live in dream land... but I think it's disingenuous to say that's the only reason people pin things. Most graphic designers have inspiration books and/or websites they visit, and I think pinterest is similar. Outside of the recipes, you might pin a bunch of living spaces you like, so that you may draw inspiration from those pins some day. Similarly, the same could go with clothes. Personally, I think a large part of the draw of pinterest is the ease in which it lets people put together inspirational "lookbooks" so when the time comes to decorate your house, or indulge in consumerism in some way, you've got a certain aesthetic you've put together to guide you. It just seems narrow-minded and petty to assume that people to write pinterest boards off as "dreams of things they'll never have".

"lookbooks" are for chicks. :plos:

"lookbooks" are for chicks. :plos:

Right. Every web designer I know has some kind of portfolio/collection they look to for inspiration when the creative well dries up. Male or female. Deal with it.

Pinterest exists to help inspire creativity. Whether with food, arts, crafts, design, whatever.... If more people are pushing themselves creatively, I'm all for it.

every time one of my friends pins baby stuff, I'm like "is she pregnant and hasn't told me yet, or did I miss it somehow?"

Yeah, I was worried about people thinking that, so mine is labeled "Maybe one day..."

Pinterest users who are fans enough to "like" the facebook page probably represent a certain segment of the Pinterest population that is a little crazier about how useful/awesome it is. Not at all surprised that that population would trend towards females.... the guys I know that use it (myself included) definitely don't try and bring attention towards their usage (i.e. I'd never "like' it on facebook).

yeah, this was my thought exactly. not a single one of my guy friends on pinterest would EVER "like" it on fb. but they enjoy the site itself. i can't remember what sort of information they asked for when i signed up. i don't THINK they asked male/female. so i guess the fb page is the only thing they have to go off of, but i think it's very skewed.

Also, I get that it might seem like people are trying to pin a bunch of things they'll never have and live in dream land... but I think it's disingenuous to say that's the only reason people pin things. Most graphic designers have inspiration books and/or websites they visit, and I think pinterest is similar. Outside of the recipes, you might pin a bunch of living spaces you like, so that you may draw inspiration from those pins some day. Similarly, the same could go with clothes, or honestly, ANYTHING. Personally, I think a large part of the draw of pinterest is the ease in which it lets people put together inspirational "lookbooks" so when the time comes to decorate your house, or indulge in consumerism in some way, you've got a certain aesthetic you've put together to guide you. It just seems narrow-minded and petty to assume that people to write pinterest boards off as "dreams of things they'll never have".

yep. my house is never going to actually look like some of the stuff i pin. but lots of times i pin it because of color combinations or something like that. when you're artistically challenged like me (or when you have creative talent but need a little inspiration from time to time), it's great to be able to look at pictures and be like "i want something that looks like that. now how do i create that in my own home?"

and really, i mostly just use it for recipes. i love food, and this has opened up an entire world of things to me that i had never thought of before.

i don't think i realized that liam had become a trendy name, but now that you mention it, i do have two friends who named their boys liam.

Yeah, I was worried about people thinking that, so mine is labeled "Maybe one day..."

Yeah I have a bunch of friends with the "never hurts to be prepared" "for whenever a baby comes along" "the future" sort of things, but one of my friends just started posting a bunch of stuff to a board just called "baby" and it got me thinking. One of her best friends is recently pregnant, so maybe it's just inspired by that, but it still piqued my curiosity.

I have a friend with a 7-month old named Liam (well his name is William). I didn't know it was trendy. Another friend has a William that they call Will.

My son is Liam, short for William, which is his middle name. He's named after his grandfather and myself, so he's #III (and we never considered calling him Trey or Tres, or whatever). I was in favor of calling him William, but my wife has too many Wills and Williams on her side of the family (who we never see anyway, but they are doofusses), so we went with Liam to avoid confusion. Liam goes best with a Scots-Irish or British surname. Liam Gonzales or Liam Bilitnekoff will raise eyebrows.

I don't know any Liams so I guess that's why I've never heard it but I really like that!

I never think about origins of names fitting with last names but that does make sense. Our last name is Portuguese but I don't know how much that will come in to play when choosing a name.

Having a common or popular name is not the end of the world--as long as it has some basis in tradition. Try being a Michael/Mike born in the early 80s. Its not so bad to have a traditional/popular name (Michael, Katerine, William, etc) with lots of possibilities of nicknames.

I really liked Liam but Matt nixed it, along with Ian. Thought it sounded too british/irish with our last name. But I have not given up on Ian. I also really liked Charlie but it got the boot. The nice thing about our last name is it really only rules out a few names (Harry, Winston, Harriet, Henry...)

the andes mint cookie recipe is on my recipe board (it has 4 ingredients and may be labeled that way)

I have a very popluar first name and I'm fine with it. I just didn't want to have a son go by the same name while he was growing up in my house. I did it with my dad and it caused confusion too many times. We get it now wth medical bills and some mail. I'm sure it will increase going forward, but at least people don't call us the same thing.

Yeah, I'm still years away from kids so Liam isn't totally off the table, I just thought I was more original than it's turning out to be.

Back