• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Boss Beer Thread

Examples from the top of my head: Arcadia, Dark Horse, Mackinaw, and Original Gravity.

Michigan also has Jolly Pumpkin, and its sister brewery North Peak.

Ephemere from Unibroue has been my favorite for the better part of a year now.

Ephemere from Unibroue has been my favorite for the better part of a year now.

I went to a tasting where the frenchies from unibroue came down and tasted all their beers side-by-side out of the tap and out of the bottle.

Ephemere started as a brewers choice beer, they made it with the leftovers from their other beers and added fruit flavors. The beer makers bottled it mainly for themselves and to sell at the brewery. The apple flavor was everyones favorite and after a couple of years it stuck - apparently in canada, you can still get other flavors.

Unibroue is the bomb - La Fin is always awesome, my local Whole Foods has Maudite on draft all the time - very, very good.

I had a bottle of the Victory Dark Intrigue on Sunday night - I really enjoyed it.

"Dark Intrigue" is the result of aging the Storm King Stout in bourbon barrels from Jim Beam and Heaven Hill. The beer was dark - almost black, with a light tan colored head. It drank really smooth; the bourbon flavor was very subtle, but present. It was different from other bourbon beers, but very good.

Oh yeah, I said New York too.

Blue Point, Ommegang, Brooklyn Beer and Southern Tier are some of my go-tos in different parts of the year.

Saranac puts out some solid beers. Big fan of Flying Bison as well.

Fact of the matter is that we live in a damn good beer country. There are tasty brews and craft and micro-breweries just about anywhere you go.

NC is a really good beer state. Can't beat Red Oak.

:confused: Red Oak is a solid beer, but there are much better beers in the state from the microbreweries in Asheville, Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, Greensboro, and maybe even Winston.

No way. Red Oak is crisp, smooth, and perfect. A little overpriced in bottles. Perfect on draft at Rec.

Should maybe be noted that I like malty lagers best of any kind of beer.

No way. Red Oak is crisp, smooth, and perfect. A little overpriced in bottles. Perfect on draft at Rec.

Should maybe be noted that I like malty lagers best of any kind of beer.

If you're stuck on a Lager, I guess I can see where you're coming from. Not a lot of competition within the small brewery scene, so Red Oak may be the best of what's available. That American Amber / Red Lager beer type scores pretty low in general on Beer Advocate.

Have you tried Old Mecklenburg Copper? It's a Lagered Ale, so a bit of a hybrid. They also make a Mecklenburger, which is a traditional Lager, but not Amber. Two varieties that you might enjoy that are produced in smaller batches than Red Oak.

I really liked whatever beers OMB brought to the Tanglewood Beer Disaster of 2010. Think that was an Octoberfest and maybe something else.

As far as "maybe even Winston," I can only think of Foothills in the micro-brewery game here and would struggle to rate any of their beers over Red Oak. Really do like their porter and maibock though.

I prefer Highland, Duck Rabbit, and Big Boss, but Red Oak makes a very crisp lager.

I really liked whatever beers OMB brought to the Tanglewood Beer Disaster of 2010. Think that was an Octoberfest and maybe something else.

As far as "maybe even Winston," I can only think of Foothills in the micro-brewery game here and would struggle to rate any of their beers over Red Oak. Really do like their porter and maibock though.

Wolf1297 and I would be glad to take you to Big Boss and Aviator to try some of the Raleigh-area microbrews.

Big Boss and Aviator are both really good and Fullsteam in Durham is phenomenal.

There are some great tiny breweries around Asheville that don't get much distribution outside of Western NC, especially in the Hendersonville and Black Mountain areas, as well as within west Asheville.

I just went outside and realized I left a 30 of Miller Lite and seven Sam Adams from the winter variety pack outside through the temperatures in the teens last night...oops. But no room in the fridge so I'm doing it again tonight (says it won't drop below 30 though)!

Anybody tried the 10 degrees Below by Scuttlebutt?

It is a winter ale - but really weird. It is supposed to be a weizenbock, but it is super sour. Weird, like nothing I have ever had. Not necessarily in a good way. Wondering if I got a bad bottle.

Back