• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Boss Beer Thread

Last edited:
I mean yes and no. No one complains of the lacking quality of Belgian imports. Unibrou does an excellent job of distributing them worldwide. There is a way to do it without compromising quality, but the Americans have yet to find it.

How much of the World's Beer Production does Unibroue account for?

Heinekin is 8.8%, SABMiller is 9.7%, InBev is 18.1%

That's what I mean by big boys.

How much of the World's Beer Production does Unibroue account for?

AB – Inbev (mainly through Inbev) 55.3% 55.0%
Alken-Maes (owned by Heineken) 13.6% 13.9%
Brouwerij Haacht nv. 3.1% 3.2%
Duvel Moortgat nv 2.1% 2.2%
Brouwerij Palm nv 2.4% 2.0%
Others 10.8% 11.1%
Private Label 12.7% 12.6%
Total 100.0% 100.0%

Not a lot. However, take Philadelphia as an example. 95% of the Belgian beers you drink in that city come from Uni by way of Shangy's (that other and private label section). It is possible to do it without selling out to a conglomo company. I guess it depends on how much money and distribution you really want for your company.

Ah yes, the Americanization of the industry. Why keep making a great product and succeeding locally, regionally, even nationally when you can be the BIGGEST AND RICHEST (and your product can suck).

He just used an unusual example, so I asked a question. Once you reach a certain threshold of production, product quality is inevitably going to go down. It's a problem that the wine and liquor industries are also facing.

I think it's awesome that Tony Magee just got $500 mil from Heineken because of something he started in his kitchen 20 years ago. That's amazing.

Had Green Flash Soul Style, and Ballast Point Sculpin and Grapefruit Sculpin all for the first time last week. I liked them all, with the reg Sculpin maybe my favorite. While I liked the Soul Style, it's not as good as the GF West Coast IPA. And the Grapefruit Sculpin was good too, with just a hint of grapefruit.

My favorite local beer lately is the Gullah Cream Ale from Revelry. They have a few others I like, just gotta go to one of the places with lots of taps to try their stuff.

Went to Europe and drank some cold brenda's. All in all, they had some good shit but it made me really appreciate the abundance of choices we have in the US. An Applebee's here has more choices than some bars in Germany.

How are all you people just having sculpin for the first time, is it rare on the east coast?

Autumn Maple is on tap at the new Beer Growler btw. I was surprised how many NC beers they had, was expecting a more diverse offering.

cracked open one of my Goose Island Bourbon County Stout's from 2012 today.....so, yeah :plos:

How are all you people just having sculpin for the first time, is it rare on the east coast?

Not really. I was buying it in Winston-Salem 3+ years ago (Total Wine carried it IIRC and I remember getting it for the first time there), DC like 2-2.5 years ago, and it was also available in Wilmington a little over one year ago (likely prior to that... that's just when I moved there). Quality has always been a little hit or miss on the east coast (I got one 6 pack from Total Wine that nearly undrinkable once) but we dont' need to rehash that argument.

This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but despite the fact that the West Coast makes a lot of the best beer in the country, I think the East Coast is a better place to buy beer for your average consumer. On the East Coast you see most of the best West Coast beers get imported, but over here in California everyone's a little too self confident and you don't see much East Coast brewery action. The selection at most stores tends to be really homogeneous as a result -- granted I'm judging the 5-10 stores in my 3-5 block radius and the grocery stores around my work... I think there are some good specialty beer stores scattered throughout the city (SF), but I'm not carrying beer home 2+miles. Thank god for Anderson Valley or I'd be drinking nothing but IPAs. I was also spoiled by an amazing beer store just 2 blocks away with a LOT of distributor contacts in Wilmington (Bombers Bev Co). They pulled in some amazing stuff from all over the country.

Autumn Maple is on tap at the new Beer Growler btw. I was surprised how many NC beers they had, was expecting a more diverse offering.

How is that place? Is it growlers to go, or can you have a pint and hang out there?

finally had a pliny the elder last week. that made me happy.

By making small adjustments to the brewing process, the wild yeasts produced very different flavor compounds, called esters. Some of the ales tasted like sour beers, some like honey, some like apple cider. And these characteristics could be extremely useful for brewers.

“For example, sour beers are increasingly popular, but they’re tricky for brewers – because traditionally, producing sour beers requires brewers to work with bacteria as well as yeasts,” Madden says. “And that process means it can take six months, or even years, to produce a sour beer. But our yeast strains can produce sour beers within five days, and they don’t rely on bacteria – eliminating the risk of contaminating other beers in a brewery.”

https://news.ncsu.edu/2015/09/beer-2015/

Rooting for the Wolfpack this one time.

Elysian Space Dust IPA is a really solid IPA - with so many IPAs tasting exactly the same, this one is refreshing, the citra hops give it the citrusy finish.

It was $19/6 pack which was a bit crazy, NYC prices are absurd - but its good.

Back