• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Film Club - The Apostle (1997)

Alright, I think we have just about enough.

I picked a film from just last year that I had wanted to see and just popped up on Netflix Instant.

The-Comedy-Soundtrack.jpeg

We'll start the discussion today (I know WakeFanatic has seen this as it was in his top 10 of 2012. Sorry WakeFanatic but avoiding overlap with you is going to be tough sometimes).
No problems. Excellent, excellent choice. Definitely one of the most interesting and underrated movies of last year.

Alright, I think we have just about enough.

I picked a film from just last year that I had wanted to see and just popped up on Netflix Instant.

The-Comedy-Soundtrack.jpeg

We'll start the discussion today (I know WakeFanatic has seen this as it was in his top 10 of 2012. Sorry WakeFanatic but avoiding overlap with you is going to be tough sometimes).

Just spoke about this movie this past weekend. Will probably watch it late tomorrow night and post Thursday.

hey i like this idea too i'll try to watch this bad boy over the weekend

What's the timeline for watching/commenting? Will there be new threads for each movie so discussion of the previous movie can continue/come in late?

What's the timeline for watching/commenting? Will there be new threads for each movie so discussion of the previous movie can continue/come in late?

I figure we give each one around a week, depending on the number of people that get around to it. I will continuously update the first post so if people want to catch up on old choices and give thoughts they can, not sure we need a new thread for every one.

I'm 35 minutes in. Made the mistake of watching it while running. I can definitively say that it is the worst movie in the history of humanity to watch while running, and I should have known that would be the case.

Hahahah. These reactions don't surprise me. I should have warned people. It's an extremely polarizing movie filled with some incredibly unlikeable people. Yet there is a quiet desperation to it that is surprisingly poignant, and I think really gets to something about this current generation. It's also funny as hell, in a deeply ironic sort of way. We can discuss this issue further as more people see it.

Last edited:
Well... That was interesting.

Three movies came to mind while watching it: Lars von Trier's The Idiots, Mike Leigh's Naked, and Napoleon Dynamite.

I think people gave up too early on feudalism.

Hahahaha. Fuck. This movie is brilliant. I plan to rewatch it within the next couple of days. Have you seen Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie?

I have been quoting this section non-stop since I saw it. The way he says "hip-hop" is so damn funny.

Last edited:
Preface: I am aware of Tim & Eric, but not any kind of regular viewer.

Although I could appreciate some of the directing here, and felt like it was well-acted, I was largely just bored watching this thing. I think that was part of the point - dude is 35 and realized he hasn't done anything with his life and is bored, hence a slow movie with limited dialogue and soundtrack. Artistically I think I at least kind of get it. I just couldn't really enjoy it.

1.5 stars.

Preface: I am aware of Tim & Eric, but not any kind of regular viewer.

Although I could appreciate some of the directing here, and felt like it was well-acted, I was largely just bored watching this thing. I think that was part of the point - dude is 35 and realized he hasn't done anything with his life and is bored, hence a slow movie with limited dialogue and soundtrack. Artistically I think I at least kind of get it. I just couldn't really enjoy it.

1.5 stars.

This really sums up my thoughts. His life is devoid of meaning. Everything is done and said with a callous irony leaving a life that is ultimately unfulfilling, shallow, and pointless.

As with ZDeac, I know of Tim & Eric, but I don't watch their show regularly. From reading previews I was expecting a black humor - character study of a bored rich man-child, an arthouse take on Billy Madison. The film never captured my interest, and it never really tries to. Generally when a film follows a quiet main character, there is an air of mystery or intrigue about that character's thoughts and motivations, like the movie Drive. This film kills any such possibility of intrigue by juxtaposing him being showered with beer with his friends, and then immediately presenting the characters caustic personality by showing him demeaning the nurse whose taking care of his dying father. So 10 minutes into the movie we already know that he's a bored, rich, asshole in his late 20's, without any responsibility or motivation. The best you can hope for the next 80 minutes is that the character turns into a party monster-train wreck who is actually affected by life; That doesn't happen. The rest of the film just consists of a vignettes showing of the character trying to upset people with increasing meanness. I suppose that's all supposed to be written off because of the minute long closing scene of him playing in the surf with a little boy. I hope the fact that even a dickhead is capable of being happy for a moment isn't supposed to serve as some revelatory ending of hope.

To break up a wall of text, I didn't like the movie. There was no plot, and the story if you'd call it that, was a meandering, directionless character study of an uninteresting person with a seeming lack of motivation. The direction was vanilla and boring, outside of the slow-mo beer shower/orgy. The reality style direction and camera work here was no different than an episode of gossip girl, but now the girls are fat, boring, and make dick jokes to break up awkward silences.

I give this movie .5 stars for a handful of funny lines. Yes, there are real people just like this guy (maybe) but this movie isn't nearly the meaningful, hyperbolic reflection of a generation that some full of shit critics make it out to be. It's simply 90 minutes of nothing.

Last edited:
Expanded thoughts (contain spoilers):

The Comedy reminded me of Bret Easton Ellis' novel Less Than Zero, which, on the surface, is a series of loosely connected, seemingly pointless vignettes about shallow, amoral college kids partying in LA. It's highly polarizing, and happens to be one of my favorite books of all time. There's a deep poignancy to it that doesn't translate into words very well; I just felt that I knew what Ellis was getting at, and was moved by what happened to his characters. It's a subtle yet devastating novel, but it doesn't have elements that appeal to everyone. It speaks to you, or it doesn't; that kind of thing.

I can't identify with any characters in The Comedy like I could in LTZ, but once I picked up on its tone I began watching it as if it were a similar type of work, just in a different setting with different types of people. And I thought it worked pretty well. I thought the main character did evolve and was able to find a new dimension of humanity in himself. For instance, in the scene where he wanders into the dying guy's hospital room - after playing with his hair, his eyes wander to the photos of the kids on the wall (old guy's grandkids I guess?) and he studies them. Then the girl nurse walks in, surprising him, thinking he was the old guy's son, and he began to play it off like he was. This is where I expected him to be an asshole and troll her, and his eyes dart over to her and it looked like he was about to say something, but he shuts up. It's subtle, of course, but I don't think there's any doubt he would've acted differently in the first half of the film. Then he's able to form a connection with the girl he works with, which I don't think could've happened with his character in the first half either.

The subtlety of the above examples (which I could've read into completely wrong, for all I know) are a result of Tim Heidecker's acting, which I really thought was outstanding. Apparently the script was largely improvisational, and I thought most of it was handled really well. This fact further increased my respect for the film. The dialogue sounded genuine, like it was how real (often drunk) people sound, and managed to be quite funny. Maybe the script was best suited for professional comedians, who make up a lot of the cast.

I get why a lot of people wouldn't like it, and had I not connected it with a favorite book of mine, I probably wouldn't have liked it either. But it's now stuck in my mind, and if nothing else, I respect it for making me reflect on it.

4 out of 5 stars - and a good first choice, in terms of bringing out a lot of different opinions.

Back