• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Fishing Thread

Just got back from Keys, had a great shark fishing trip. This seven foot lemon wore my ass out!

13879322_10154381421964450_4102524541902734142_n.jpg

Nice day on the water at Jefferson Lake (10,685' elevation) - caught a small brook trout and my buddy got a small rainbow. Once the wind picked up I was having a hard time getting my fly on the water so I called it quits for the day.

Going to the Outer Banks (Corolla/Carova) next week and plan to do some surf fishing with my 6-year-old. I've done a lot of freshwater fishing, but very little saltwater fishing, and that was all from a pier. So I would appreciate any rig and bait recommendations folks might have for surf fishing in that area this time of year. (Assume I know nothing, because you won't be far off.)

Thanks in advance.

We went and did a two day fly fishing clinic this past weekend. It was awesome. I definitely think this is something we will start doing more of. I'm a little intimidated by the initial cash outlay.

I was big into fishing when I was a kid but lost interest in the hobby when I hit my teens. My wife's parents bought a farm a few years ago with a nice pond on the property, a few neighbors with small to medium sized ponds, and easy access to a small creek that flows into the Ohio. I had caught a few Smallmouth in the creek but hadn't explored much of it until about two months ago. I'm happy I did. When the river system is high, giant Smallmouth find their way up from the Ohio and hang out in the deeper holes in the local creeks. They aren't pressured and you can catch them on almost anything. I had no idea there were big fish in these pools when I hooked into something that nearly killed my ultralight setup. It turned out to be the biggest bass of any type I've ever caught. A few weeks later I caught another one further up the creek which may have been even bigger.

That same week I ventured up to a pond on one of our neighbor's properties. I'd always wondered why I never caught much but I found out why. I was absentmindedly casting a gold silver fox spinner into the shallows when I got a solid hit. I was certain that I had snagged a log or something that was moving as a huge amount of mud/leaves/bubbles were being kicked up off the bottom. I'm not sure how big it was but I have it imagine it was 2.5-3ft long and 20+lbs. It was definitely the biggest fish I've ever caught. Catching it on ultralight gear was quite a thrill. Happy to know that my braid knots are solid.

I obviously have the bug now and have been to quite a few lakes in Ohio. Shore fishing is really tough from most of them and I'm much more of a solitary angler. I'm not interested in buying a boat and I contemplated a float tube, but finally settled on a kayak(Cuda 12.) It came today and I cannot fucking wait until Saturday.

ArCphFq.jpg

StIEBYh.jpg

dln0O8O.jpg

hrxBQ5c.jpg

jmG3GMa.jpg

Tl;dr- lame attempt to replace lost baby orphan squirrels nursed by hand with uggo fish

Last edited:
We went and did a two day fly fishing clinic this past weekend. It was awesome. I definitely think this is something we will start doing more of. I'm a little intimidated by the initial cash outlay.

Plenty of great rods out there at a reasonable price point, especially when you get them on sale. While some of my rods and other equipment cost more than I will admit to my wife, I bought my last two rods on sale for $19 each from Cabela's (regularly marked somewhere around $79). These two rods are perfect for NC's wild streams. The two rods I bought before that were somewhere around $40 each, also on sale.

Plenty of great rods out there at a reasonable price point, especially when you get them on sale. While some of my rods and other equipment cost more than I will admit to my wife, I bought my last two rods on sale for $19 each from Cabela's (regularly marked somewhere around $79). These two rods are perfect for NC's wild streams. The two rods I bought before that were somewhere around $40 each, also on sale.

Jesse Brown's or GTFO !

TW.....gloves? C'mon mannn

I've been trying them out to see if I can get my fish unhooked and back into the water quickly. It's been working pretty well. I will admit to putting them on specifically to touch that catfish. I'm not ashamed to admit that those things creep me the fuck out.

They shouldn't. Learn to grab them so that the dorsal fin is in front of the fleshy area between your thumb and index fingers. Catfish are incredibly resilient.

Agreed. I used to fish the surf and fresh water lakes. I fly fish streams/rivers/ponds now. All the time. I have 2 main rods. One is a 5wt 8'6" St Croix I bought on ebay for $60 and the other is a 4wt 8' Echo I found used for $50. Neither reel was over $40. The 5/6wt reel was $12. I spent more on fly line. I use water shoes I bought at Rack Room for $39 for "wading boots" and an old fanny pack for my gear. I do have a couple of pairs of waders but they were left from my surf casting time. You can spend as much or as little as you want and still fly fish. There is some ridiculously priced gear out there but also affordable gear. Don't get caught up in the marketing. If you want to fish than fish.

00735527eac9fdeead2b603c743fab7d.jpg

f2a38f1ad434bcd5ed0861bbd5a23e0e.jpg

Did a little high altitude lake fishing this weekend - got skunked, but it was a nice day with the family.

So back to the expensive fly rods - if you want a great deal on a premium rod, the Sage One is showing up at a tremendous discount now. Do some searches and you can get it for under $500. I love the Sage One rod - I personally own the 9.5 6 wt, the 9 ft 7 wt and the 9 ft 8wt. I would get the 5 wt if I didn't already have several rods in that length and wt. (FWIW, Sage dealers are making room for the new X rod)

Nobody needs a rod like these, especially for NC streams. I get discouraged when people see the prices and think fly fishing isn't for them. (My last 4 rods purchases this year ranged from $19 to under $40. Check out MercuryDime's post above for a lead on some excellent deals on lower price-point rods that I also own). On the other hand, premium rods do have their place so now is a good time to buy if there would be an advantage to having one for your particular needs.

Last edited:
It's not just the rods: it's the waders, boots, chest/lumbar/back pack, etc.

Not that you can't find inexpensive expressions of those items, but a beginner fly fisherman is a few hundred bucks in the hole on day one of they aren't careful / deliberate with their purchases.

There are a whole slew of cheap packs on Amazon that can offset some of the costs. I bought one that has actually been really nice. If you aren't buying Fishpond stuff, you can save some serious dough.

Back