• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Fishing Thread

It's not just the rods: it's the waders, boots, chest/lumbar/back pack, etc.

Not that you can't find inexpensive expressions of those items, but a beginner fly fisherman is a few hundred bucks in the hole on day one of they aren't careful / deliberate with their purchases.

Yeah. This is the initial start up costs I'm concerned about and since my wife had such a great time it's X 2.

Cav, I've been fine without waders so far this summer. I've been using an old pair of chuck Taylor high tops when I've gone fishing because they are light weight and dry quickly. Shorts or nylon pants that dry quickly have been good to use too. Throw an extra pair of shoes/flip flops in the car and you're good to go.

That's what we used initially but I'm hoping to be able to go more this Fall/Spring so am just looking ahead.

That's what we used initially but I'm hoping to be able to go more this Fall/Spring so am just looking ahead.

Yeah, a couple of my buddies out here fish year round so I'm sure waders are in my future as well.

Have 3 days of guide trips in Montana coming up next week. Was supposed to fish the Yellowstone one day, but that obviously wont be happening so not sure what river we will be on. Madison River on Sunday and Missouri next Thursday. Temperature cooling off dramatically on Saturday, so hopefully the fish will be out and the Hoot Owl restrictions will be lifted.

b7e4cb1a9bc2a263b3acfa97c121be38.jpg

Beautiful day on the water. Small rainbows were hitting the dry flies hard today.

Had my first true sight-fishing experience today: kept seeing this rainbow coming up to eat but couldn't get him to take my fly. Changed it 4 times and thought he was going to take an ant, but he only looked.

So after years of salt water fishing I am moving to Aiken, SC in March and determined to get into fresh water fishing. Anyone know of good spots in the Augusta-Aiken-Columbia area and how do I get started and what to expect?
Thanks.

Get a kayak and float the Savannah for smallies. Throw wiggle minnows with a fly rod. Great fishery when the fish cooperate.

Some good striper fishing near Columbia. If you don't fly fish, get a small surf rod and throw striper Swipers below the Blossom Street bridge (10 pm and later) when they are running. Good striper fishing near the zoo, as well. Tough to get them on the fly without a boat.

Last edited:
So after years of salt water fishing I am moving to Aiken, SC in March and determined to get into fresh water fishing. Anyone know of good spots in the Augusta-Aiken-Columbia area and how do I get started and what to expect?
Thanks.

I'd 2nd the Savannah down on SC/GA line.

Good of striper fishing on Murray in Columbia.

As a kid, I never went fishing, but I loved reading Lefty Kreh's writings in the Baltimore Sun. I met him in 1992 shooting an outdoors story at WBOC on the eastern shore of Maryland. One cool dude.

As a kid, I never went fishing, but I loved reading Lefty Kreh's writings in the Baltimore Sun. I met him in 1992 shooting an outdoors story at WBOC on the eastern shore of Maryland. One cool dude.

Yeah....totally jealous of this and I'm not usually star struck. The man is a legend.

Bass Pro Shops buying Cabela's for $5.5 billion.

Just took the plunge on some Simms wading gear. Hoping to hook up with some trout on Friday!

Just took the plunge on some Simms wading gear. Hoping to hook up with some trout on Friday!

A pair of Simms waders proves that money can buy happiness. Good choice.

There are some great deals on Smith Chromopop sunglasses on Sierra Trading Post right now - http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sm...op-lenses~p~105vm/?filterString=fishing~d~14/ These lenses are like magic xray vision for seeing fish underwater. I wear the GuidesChoice version but if you are looking to save some money the sale ones would be a good way to go.

Plenty of other great deals can be had on STP, especially when they have their one-day flash sales for as much as 30% additional off for a total of 60 to 70% off) and/or throw in free shipping.

Last edited:
Put a nice brown trout in the net today. Biggest trout I've ever landed - lot of fun bringing it in.
346a7c75cf3b37e1901364e1ca5876dd.jpg

Back