• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Fishing Thread

fish.gif

Wow, that bald eagle got a big fish. That should be lunch and dinner for the whole nest full, If he manages to get it home. Pretty precarious grip with just the head in his talons.

Fished the Roaring Fork today; caught browns and rainbows. They were smashing a size 20 zebra midge.

fb5727a6d4591acbb320b2a85cb44282.jpg

b9a39cf49ef91d6e16b49f3ce4e3d806.jpg

c1c6fd368fbd66119f5f16d8fb0e6bac.jpg

Awesome obituary.

http://www.islandpacket.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/david-lauderdale/article145292299.html

Billy.North

Capt. Billy North, left, in a photograph on the cover of the book, “Port Royal,” by Wendy Nilsen Pollitzer. Arcadia Publishing

Read more here: http://www.islandpacket.com/opinion...auderdale/article145292299.html#storylink=cpy

Lowcountry fishing legend passes away

Captain Billy North died Monday at a nursing home in Thunderbolt, Ga.

His face — with rakish mustache and big, super-blue eyes that made him such a charmer — by then had lines sketched by the stiff winds and hot sun from 70 years on the water.

“Captain Billy North put his boots on the dock and shut the engine off today,” came the news from Captain Woody Collins of Sheldon. “He was with family and left with no pain ... thought you would want to know.”

His sister Kathy said Billy’s life is told in the words of Jimmy Buffet’s song, “A Pirate Looks at 40”:

“Mother, mother ocean

I have heard you call

I wanted to sail upon your waters

since I was three feet tall

You’ve seen it all

You’ve seen it all.”

He never owned a home. He was married three times, once to a former Playboy bunny who was beautiful inside and out.

Friends say he sometimes had a drinking problem, and smoked too many cigarettes, but the ladies loved him.

He looked like he just stepped out of an L.L. Bean catalog. He was a great storyteller who had friends from coast to coast. And he always had a dog, usually a Boykin spaniel.

William Clifton North III was a child of Beaufort, growing up in the creeks of the Bob’s Point area of Lady’s Island when it was dirt roads and tomato fields.

His father was the fire chief at Beaufort Memorial Hospital, but he also planted 20 acres of tomatoes and cucumbers and had a bait shop called Joe’s Hole at the foot of the swing-span bridge to Beaufort.

Billy left Beaufort High in his senior year in 1964 and lived off the water till just a few years ago when he moved to Georgia after his mother passed away.

He ran charter boats and commercial fishing boats, from 85-footers on down.

He was a pioneer in backwater charter fishing on Hilton Head, running a boat called Reel Time out of Hudson’s Seafood House on the Docks. He captained charter boats from Long Island to Central America, and won his share of reel and rod tournaments.

He ran shrimp trawlers from here to Texas, including the Devil Fish and the Credit for Jerry Baldwin of Bennett’s Point, the Tidal Wave for Bubba von Harten of Beaufort, and the Crimson Tide for Dan Cooler of Bluffton.

He hunted duck, quail and deer, and would sometimes come back from a duck hunt with a couple of big spot tail bass he shot in the flats. He was a great shot. He said he killed 50 deer in one season when he was in high school.

He once caught so many shrimp he sank his boat off South Beach.

For many years, he was known as the guy with the dog who docked every afternoon at South Beach Marina, where people walked up to buy fresh shrimp.

Billy was ahead of the curve on the demand for soft shell crab, heading north in a station wagon to bring them home for lucrative sales.

He had a Beaufort soul mate in the late charter captain Stratty Pollitzer. They could be together on a snapper boat for three weeks, and Billy could tell a joke every day that no one had heard before.

Friends like to think of Billy joining Stratty and “Cowboy” Bob Coleman and Mike Taylor in the great beyond, telling Lowcountry stories.

Like the time Capt. Billy hitchhiked from Shem Creek to Beaufort and the guy who gave him a lift managed to hit a cow in the road in broad daylight. Or the time Billy was working at Captain Woody’s seafood market at Coligny Plaza and sold everything in the store but the knives and scales to a man who wanted to take it all home on his airplane.

His last fishing gig was in a small, diesel-drenched boat called the PIF. He ran it out of Palmetto Bay Marina and sold the shrimp he caught to David Martin at the Piggly Wiggly.

Billy’s siblings said he had recently lost his dog, Prawn Boy. The dog was cremated and its remains had been riding around in the car with Billy.

They say ashes of Capt. Billy North and Prawn Boy will soon sail together again upon the waters of Calibogue Sound.

Read more here: http://www.islandpacket.com/opinion...auderdale/article145292299.html#storylink=cpy

Starting to dabble with tying; got 1 ugly, but serviceable brassie tonight

df3d8a9188385c46bcf16cc8c4ac3621.jpg

Yeah, nice job - that will be fine for the fish. I tie many styles but I don't tie anything well. I am starting to get into euro- competition style flies and techniques so I just ordered a bunch of stuff from www.tacticalflyfisher.com. Good specialty supplier. Also a good blog on there with some useful information.

il_340x270.1018163830_tsvy.jpg

Been tying some of these. It's the infamous mop fly if you read any of the fly fishing magazines or blogs. It's really easy to tie. I found some dust mop things on amazon (probably a lifetime supply), some 3/32" tungsten bead heads, 0.20 lead wire, and some black dubbing and thread.

peak_prvg2.jpg

Also started using a Peak rotary vise. I really like it with the heavy 5 pound white base. I like to be able to move the vise if I need to rather than using a c-clamp.

Last edited:
Went with a Griffin Odyssey Spider vise; came with a c-clamp, but I purchased a base for the same reasons as Helton.
$_58.JPG

$_58.JPG
Went with a Griffin Odyssey Spider vise; came with a c-clamp, but I purchased a base for the same reasons as Helton.

Aha, now I know what the C-clamp looking device I got in a bag o stuff from a flea market is. It probably was the clamp base for something like the fly tying vise you posted.

il_340x270.1018163830_tsvy.jpg

Been tying some of these. It's the infamous mop fly if you read any of the fly fishing magazines or blogs. It's really easy to tie. I found some dust mop things on amazon (probably a lifetime supply), some 3/32" tungsten bead heads, 0.20 lead wire, and some black dubbing and thread.

peak_prvg2.jpg

Also started using a Peak rotary vise. I really like it with the heavy 5 pound white base. I like to be able to move the vise if I need no rather than using a c-clamp.

I've been tying some of these (in various colors) lately, too, and on that very same vise! I have not as yet put any lead on the shank, but I might, given all the water in the streams this last month. Hell, I cast up or up/across and count to five and my fly is behind me...

I'm going to turn out the infamous 'Mop 'n' Glo' fly this week as well.

I've been tying some of these (in various colors) lately, too, and on that very same vise! I have not as yet put any lead on the shank, but I might, given all the water in the streams this last month. Hell, I cast up or up/across and count to five and my fly is behind me...

I'm going to turn out the infamous 'Mop 'n' Glo' fly this week as well.

The first ones I tied were probably a bit heavy but good for fast water. I'm tying them now with no extra weight because the tungsten bead is pretty heavy on it's own and I can always add split shot. I started with just tan mop material but may try some other colors. What colors are you using?

The first ones I tied were probably a bit heavy but good for fast water. I'm tying them now with no extra weight because the tungsten bead is pretty heavy on it's own and I can always add split shot. I started with just tan mop material but may try some other colors. What colors are you using?

I'm tying these in brown, cream, insect green, and chartreuse....yellow, too...

Caught several nice snook over the weekend and released them....it's getting too hot now for inshore down here in FL...by late June oxygen levels drop in the backcountry with the heat. Time to use the boat as a party barge and head out to some wrecks where the water is a little cooler.

Starting to experiment with European-style nymphs (always sounds a bit dirty to say that).
IMG_0687-M.jpg

Size 14 jig hook with slotted tungsten bead.

Last edited:
Finally getting started, as of 8:30 this morning, with studying to become a Certified Casting Instructor through Fly Fishers International (formerly known as International Federation of Fly Fishers). I have been on the board of the Southeast Council for several years so it is about time I start the ball rolling. So by publicly saying it behind an anonymous board name, maybe I will stick to it.

Just booked a day on the Deschutes River in late July to coincide with a work trip to Portland. Probably going to be a couple weeks early for the summer steelhead run and a bit late for prime trout but I am still psyched to have a shot at fishing the famous river.

Back