• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Fishing Thread

I have the wool system and like it if there it’s not too much current to pull it under. I am not a fan of thingamabobbers. But if you like those (or even if you don’t), I would bet you will like Air Lock indicators bettter.
http://fishairlock.com

I am trying to get away from indicators all together and using tight line techniques instead.

Last edited:
Are you more of a vest person, more of a minimalist with a lanyard, or do you like sling packs? I've always been more of a vest person. I've had a few and have used an Umpqua Tokettee vest pack for the past couple of years. However, I tried on a Fishpond Gore Range vest and really liked it so I have that ordered. Any other gear recommendations?

Are you more of a vest person, more of a minimalist with a lanyard, or do you like sling packs? I've always been more of a vest person. I've had a few and have used an Umpqua Tokettee vest pack for the past couple of years. However, I tried on a Fishpond Gore Range vest and really liked it so I have that ordered. Any other gear recommendations?

The Gore Range vest looks sweet.

I'm currently using a small fishpond lumbar pack with a fly-vines lanyard with my nippers, hemostats and floatant (during dry fly season) on it. The pack is pretty small and I've out grown it. I end up wearing a small backpack with a water bottle and snacks in it since the hip pack doesn't really have room. Fishpond had a deal a few months ago at one of the fly shops where they were letting you trade in old fishpond gear for 20% of a new purchase that day and I stupidly didn't go - would have been the perfect time to upgrade.

Speaking of gear, I tried casting the new Orvis Helios 3 a couple of weeks ago at an event here in Roanoke. They had both the model d and f in the 9 foot 5 weight (the d is the softer, more medium action of the two, the f is the faster action). HOLY SHIT were those things sweet. They were so accurate and a joy to cast. I really want one but I just can't justify $850 on a fly rod when I have several other rods already.

I have gone from vest, to waist pack, to chest pack, and now to vest. I didn't like the waist pack so much because I kept having to cinch it up...move it around all the time. I tried the chest pack for a year, and never could get past the fact that I couldn't see my feet well when walking/wading.

Returned to a vest last season. Yeah it's heavier, but I got a nice Simms. I'll tolerate the extra weight and heat for the serviceability.

I have the cerveza from fish pond. For a minimalist, it is dope. If you have a bunch of shit, not so much.

2b14006f603db3793c34429fc5664890.jpg

Speaking of gear, I tried casting the new Orvis Helios 3 a couple of weeks ago at an event here in Roanoke. They had both the model d and f in the 9 foot 5 weight (the d is the softer, more medium action of the two, the f is the faster action). HOLY SHIT were those things sweet. They were so accurate and a joy to cast. I really want one but I just can't justify $850 on a fly rod when I have several other rods already.

Bought a Helios 2 in 10 ft 8 wt (tip flex) a few months before the 3 was announced - my timing isn't always the best. I will use it as my steelhead nymph rod so I think I will still be very happy with it. I thought the 1 was a great rod, too. Orvis is on top of their game with the premium rod series.

My new Fishpond Gore Range Vest was delivered on Saturday. I moved all my stuff over from the old vest to the new one yesterday. It's very comfortable and organized well with plenty of attachment points for zingers and tools. I may move stuff around once I'm actually able to wear it while fishing but I'm very happy with it.

Anyone been fishing? Been a good fall for trout. Heading to Erie next week for steelhead just in time for the arctic blast. If it gets dangerously cold, the local VFW couldn't have nicer folks or colder beer.
IMG_0010-S.jpg
IMG_1532-S.jpg
IMG_1517-S.jpg

Last edited:
Headed to Bozeman with a couple of Deacs next week for 2 days of fly fishing. Tied up a new (to me) pattern tonight that I'm looking forward to trying out:

b68644cf58cdd51f81e10b6e5c9e5978.jpg

I should have asked a while back, but what are those flies? Kind of looks like a Walt's Worm but maybe not. Looks like something that could work on the East Coast too.

I should have asked a while back, but what are those flies? Kind of looks like a Walt's Worm but maybe not. Looks like something that could work on the East Coast too.

Very close - that pattern is the Son of Sexy Walt.

Not to break up the fly-fest, but anybody have any fishing recs in Cabo? Going there in January for a bachelor party and looking for a half day charter without breaking the bank.

Jamieson's Shetland yarn, Oyster color: https://www.lovecrochet.com/us/jami...2&utm_term=jamieson's shetland spindrift yarn

I separate the two strands of yarn and use just a single strand for the body (this is per the recipe I followed).

I watched a couple youtube videos and they used yard but said you could do some dubbing or hare's mask. From the looks of it, you could probably tie it in a few colors or even use that yarn in place of dubbing on several flies.

I watched a couple youtube videos and they used yard but said you could do some dubbing or hare's mask. From the looks of it, you could probably tie it in a few colors or even use that yarn in place of dubbing on several flies.

Those are size 16. I think the yarn might be a bit bulky as a replacement for dubbing on anything 18 or smaller, but I haven't used yarn in anything but that pattern yet.

Hand seems low and it looks like he might have a finger pointed towards the rod tip?

The loops aren’t clean which would seem to indicate some defects with the cast, but o can’t really say what’s going on.

What’s the answer?

Biggest glaring flaw is finishing his forward cast before the line has any chance to get behind him, much less load the rod. Looks like that cast will collapse at his feet. This is a pose rather than a cast.

You want your line to completely straighten out behind you. That's what puts the bend in the rod. From there you accelerate to a stop on your forward cast.

Some good videos to illustrate the point on line. For example, this one is good - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAyj9KF_MQE

Also notice the elbow position in the picture compared to the guy in the video. There are some advanced distance techniques where you reach but that particular spot of water is so narrow you would never need a reach. And this guy is not trying advanced techniques, either.

Last edited:
Back